Cakes, as a rule, are sweet, dessert dishes. The principle of applying layers of cream on baked layers of dough is very convenient and in cases where the “cream” is made from unsweetened products. It turns out, in fact, a multi-storey sandwich, although to call it such a miracle of culinary art - the language does not turn.
General principles for making wafer and puff pastry snack cakes
• The basis of snack cakes can be both puff and wafer cakes. Any type of billet can always be purchased ready. Puff cakes for snack cake "Napoleon" better bake yourself.
• When purchasing ready-made blanks, pay attention to their appearance and quality, they should be of uniform color. Immediately set aside burnt and soft, they cannot be used. When unpacking, pay attention to the smell, fresh semi-finished products will not be unpleasant to smell old oil.
• When forming a snack cake from waffles, you can use colored blanks, they will add a snack of originality, but they will not change the taste.
• Filling for such cakes can be any single product or specially prepared filling. Waffle cakes and puff for a snack cake “Napoleon” can be layered with browned vegetables, mushrooms, herring forshmak, crab sticks, boiled eggs, boiled chicken meat. Such snacks do not require additional processing after formation. When used for stuffing raw minced meat, the cake is necessarily baked in the oven.
• Before putting the stuffing on the cake, they must always be coated with mayonnaise or sour cream. If the desired product can be applied to a layered billet with a thick layer, the wafers are only slightly smeared. A thick layer will quickly soak the billet, and the wafer cake snack will lose its taste. • Cakes are decorated with fresh herbs, chopped on a grater, cheese or crumbs made from waffles. Snack cake “Napoleon” after cooking must be placed in a refrigerator for a couple of hours so that it is well soaked.
Napoleon Snack Cake with Chicken and Mushrooms
• wheat flour - 200 gr .;
• 100 gr. quality margarine;
• tablespoon of sugar;
• half a spoonful of fine evaporated salt;
• 100 gr. sour cream;
• small spoon ripper dough.
In the filling:
• boiled chicken breast - 200 gr .;
• onion head;
• a jar of pickled, mild champignons;
• two boiled carrots;
• sweet peppercorn;
• two boiled eggs;
• three cloves of garlic;
1. In a bowl of the appropriate volume, sift flour. Pour the ripper, salt with sugar, mix.
2. Put the softened butter to the flour and, kneading with a fork, mix everything well. Add sour cream, knead the dough and, placing in a bag, put to cool in the refrigerator.
3. Prepare the mushroom filling. Chop onions, cut the mushrooms into slices, and the boiled breast in small pieces, slightly larger.
4. Over low heat in warm vegetable oil, lightly fry the onion (2-3 minutes), then put the mushrooms and continue heating, stirring occasionally, so as not to burn. After all the moisture is gone, put the chicken pieces to the mushrooms, add the finely chopped garlic. Season the mushroom stuffing with spices, lightly salt and heat on low heat for about a minute.
5. For two minutes, put the sweet pepper in the microwave, then carefully remove the skin from it and finely chop the flesh.
6. In a separate bowl on a medium grater, rub the carrots and eggs. Add to them a clove of garlic, pressed through the press. Stir.
7. Divide the dough in the cold into seven pieces and roll them into thin circles. Be sure to flush the surface of the table with flour, otherwise the dough will stick. 8. Placing a dry frying pan on a medium heat, bake cakes. So that the blanks do not bubble, pierce a couple of times with a fork. Turn when the bottom is lightly browned.
9. Gradually covering the cooled cakes with mayonnaise, collect the cake. Put the mushroom stuffing on the first smeared billet, on the second egg, and on the third carrot. Then repeat the layers.
10. Dust the remaining crust into the crumb and sprinkle with the mayonnaise-coated top crust and sidewalls.
Napoleon snack cake stuffed with mushrooms and liver pate
• half a kilogram of puff pastry;
• 300 gr. fresh small champignons;
• small onion head;
• three boiled eggs;
• “Russian” cheese - 200 gr .;
• large carrot;
• half a pack of sweet cream butter;
• 150 gr. boiled ham;
• a pound of chilled chicken liver;
• medium fat sour cream - 150 gr .;
• six tablespoons of “light” mayonnaise;
• three tablespoons of spicy mustard.
• finely chopped dill;
• three small tomatoes;
• one boiled egg yolk.
1. Remove the dough from its packaging and wait until it thaws well. Then divide into four parts and roll out with thin layers no more than half a centimeter thick. Putting dough layers on a dry baking sheet, bake cakes. Baking time when heated to 180 degrees usually does not take more than a quarter of an hour. Focus on the color cakes, they should only redden slightly.
2. Boil the liver in lightly salted water until cooked. Pre-rinse it well with cold water and remove all excess: films, fat residues and gallbladders, if any.
3. Grind the cooled liver on a meat grinder. Immediately add to it the softened butter, season with spices and mix.
4. Grind the ham with a blender and, mixing with sour cream, season with ground pepper.
5. Coarsely grate the carrot. Mushrooms with onions cut into slices. Put the crushed ingredients in a pan with vegetable oil, mix and fry until softened. 6. In a separate bowl on a large grater, rub the boiled eggs. One yolk set aside for decoration. In the same way, chop the cheese, add to it four spoons of mayonnaise, all the mustard and mix.
7. First puff pastry, spread the remaining mayonnaise and evenly spread the mushroom filling on it. Cover with a second crust, which cover with ham and smetannoy mass. On the third layer laid on top thinly apply the prepared liver pate, and the last, fourth, spread over half the egg-cheese sauce.
8. Align the sides of the snack cake with the remaining sauce, and place it in the refrigerator for twelve hours.
9. After that, decorate the surface of the cake. Put a tomato out of the halves and place the crumbled yolk in its center. Sprinkle everything, except the flower, with finely chopped greens.
Napoleon snack cake on ready-made puff pastry with fish
• six puff cakes;
• two small boiled carrots;
• boiled chicken eggs - 3 pcs .;
• jar of canned fish in oil;
• 250 gr. good mayonnaise;
• 140 gr. cheese with smoked salmon flavor.
1. Put the fish out of the jar on the plate, gently break the pieces, remove all the bones, and mash the flesh with a fork. Add some oil from the jar, mix.
2. Grate, using a large grater, carrot and mix it with a small amount of mayonnaise, adding garlic crushed with a press.
3. First crust with mayonnaise, put on a thin layer of fish, taking only half.
4. Cover with a second billet on which to place the carrot. Mayonnaise is not necessary to apply, as it is already in the filling.
5. Apply mayonnaise on the third cake in a thin layer and rub the eggs over it with a large grater.
6. Lay the fourth billet on top, also, add mayonnaise and apply the remaining fish evenly.
7. Last, fifth, crust and sides of the cake snack grease with cottage cheese. Mash the remaining puff pastry into crumb, sprinkle the surface of the cake and place it in the refrigerator overnight.
Recipe for a waffle cake tartlet with crab sticks - “Holiday”
• packaging of round wafer blanks;
• canned food “Sardines in oil” - 250 g can;
• 200 gr. crab chilled semi-finished products (chopsticks);
• one large, fresh cucumber;
• five processed cheese;
• onion feathers, fresh dill and parsley - to taste;
• several plates of pickled ginger.
1. Remove pieces of flesh from canned food and chop them well with a knife or fork, carefully selecting all the bones. If the filling seems dry, add a little oil from the can.
2. Rub melted cheese into medium chips, add chopped garlic. Season with mayonnaise and mix, the cheese filling should not be dry, otherwise it will not work to smear.
3. Cut the crab sticks into small pieces. Chop the greens, after removing the coarse stems.
4. Place one of the wafer blanks on the dish, put mayonnaise on it with a thin layer and distribute the fish evenly over it. Spread the second wafer layer on top with cheese filling.
5. Next, third, waffle plate, smear with mayonnaise and sprinkle with finely chopped greens.
6. After placing the fourth billet, lightly press it down with your hands so that the green will settle. Coat the surface with mayonnaise and spread the crushed crab sticks on top.
7. Cover the cake with the last wafer layer and only slightly light it with mayonnaise, grabbing the sides of the cake.
8. Sprinkle with chopped onion on top, cut the cucumber into thin ringlets and garnish with halves of the sides. From the plates of ginger form roses, place the flowers in the center.
Herring, snack cake made from wafer cakes
• six wafer layers;
• 200 gr. salted herring fillet;
• two medium onions;
• 200 gr. “European” or other very fatty mayonnaise; • 100 gr. some dried “Dutch” cheese;
• a small bunch of fresh greens;
• two boiled carrots;
• 300 gr. champignons, fresh.
1. In vegetable oil, fry the onions with the onions, let them cool slowly and beat with a blender.
2. In the same way, chop the herring with onions, then boiled carrots.
3. Collect snack cake. Place a portion of the herring filling on the first wafer layer, brush with mayonnaise on top and cover with a second plate.
4. Spread half the mushroom filling evenly over it and grease it too, then cover with the next billet. Put a piece of carrot, a layer of which also grease. Repeat layers.
5. The last layer - carrot, grease and mayonnaise, then generously sprinkle with chopped cheese on a grater.
6. Decorate with finely chopped greens and place in the refrigerator for an hour for impregnation.
Snack cake made of wafer cakes with minced meat (in the oven)
• packaging of finished wafer plates;
• 400 gr. meat, low-fat minced meat;
• a raw egg;
• small onion head;
• 150 gr. Cheese, variety "Kostroma";
• vegetable oil for frying;
• unsharp spices;
• 20% sour cream - 200 gr;
• mid-size carrot.
1. Chop the onion in small slices, chop the carrot with a large grater. Transfer the vegetables to the frying pan with vegetable oil and place them to sauté over medium heat.
2. While the vegetables are fried, put the mince into a bowl and carefully mix the raw egg. Do not forget to lightly salt and pepper.
3. Put the fried vegetables in a separate bowl and let them cool well.
4. Slice one of the wafer layers with sour cream, put a small portion of raw minced meat on it and spread evenly, spreading it with a spoon.
5. Cover the meat stuffing with the next layer of wafer, spread with sour cream and place the fried vegetables.
6. Repeat in this sequence until you use all the wafer blanks. Smear sour cream last cake. 7. Move the snack cake on a baking sheet and place in the oven for half an hour at 180 degrees. Then sprinkle the surface with the chopped cheese and put it back in the oven. When the cheese melts and spreads well, you can get it.
Snack cakes of wafer and puff cakes - cooking tricks and helpful tips
• In order not to soak the cakes in these recipes - mayonnaise or sour cream, like the filling itself, should not be liquid.
• Store pre-cooked snack cake made from wafer cakes in the refrigerator, then it will not lose its crispiness. “Napoleon”, on the contrary, leave for two hours on the table so that it is well soaked and only then put it in the refrigerator.
• If for some reason some of the cakes have broken, lay them in the middle of the cake. This does not affect the appearance of the product.
• For snack cakes, it is better to use square cakes, then they will be easier to cut into neat pieces.