Today, you can buy cask and bottled kvass throughout the year in almost any store.
But, despite the variety of goods sold, the quality and taste of the product does not always satisfy our need.
So why not make kvass at home from proven products in accordance with your taste preferences.
Red Kvass - General Cooking Principles
You can cook red kvass at home in various ways from a wide variety of foods. Ready drink drink to increase strength and vigor, to quench their thirst, make all sorts of dishes from it.
Red kvass can be made sweet, spicy, bitter, spicy. They make kvass from malt, crackers, berries, fruits, vegetables. Add mint, beets, apples, raisins and other ingredients.
For centuries, the best recipes and secrets of cooking delicious red kvass, made only from natural products, have been collected, which turns out to be much tastier and certainly more useful than their shop “counterparts”.
Recipe 1. Red Malt Kvass
• two liters of water;
• half a cup of rye fermented malt;
• a glass of sugar;
• 10 grams of dry baker's yeast.
1. Pour water into a saucepan, bring it to a boil, cool the liquid to 45-50 degrees.
2. Put malt in the temperature we need and mix well. Putting the container with the mixture to infuse for 2-3 hours.
3. As soon as the wort cools, pour 100 ml into a glass, dilute the yeast in it. Mix, set aside for 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
4. Mix the yeast with the wort in a saucepan.
5. Pour sugar, mix, remove the container with red kvass for fermentation for 8 hours in a warm room.
6. Filter the finished kvass through cheesecloth into a jug, bottle or jar, remove for a couple of hours in the fridge.
Recipe 2. Rowan red kvass
• kilogram of red rowan;
• four liters of water;
• a pound of sugar;
• 20 grams of dry yeast.
Cooking Method: 1. Carefully wash the mountain ash, removing the berries from the twigs, removing leaves.
2. Put the rowan for 5 minutes in boiling water, then recline on a colander, letting the liquid drain.
3. Fill the mountain ash with fresh clean water, bring to a boil, boil over low heat for 10 minutes.
4. Filter the resulting decoction through gauze or a fine sieve. Add sugar to the still hot rowan liquid, mix it.
5. As soon as the broth is slightly cooled, add the yeast, mix well again.
6. Insist on red kvass for 10-12 hours, then bottled and remove to use for a couple of days in the fridge.
Recipe 3. Red kvass made from frozen berries
• 100 grams of strawberries;
• 100 grams of strawberries;
• 100 grams of cranberries;
• 200 grams of red currant;
• 100 grams of black currant;
• 100 grams of blueberries;
• one and a half glasses of sugar;
• 5 grams of dry yeast or 15 grams of pressed yeast;
• 4 liters of water.
1. For the preparation of red berry kvass, you can use other berries, as long as the volume of the berry mix is 700-750 grams. It is recommended to put strawberries, which gives the berry kvass a stunning aroma, as well as currants and blueberries, due to which the drink gets a rich color.
2. First, we need to make compote, for this we put all the berries right in the frozen form in boiling water. Cook after boiling on low heat for about 15 minutes.
3. Add sugar, cook for another minute or two, remove the pan from the heat.
4. As soon as the compote is cooled to room temperature, we filter the drink.
5. Pour some glass into compote, dissolve yeast in this small amount.
6. Pour the yeast mixture into a saucepan with compote, cover the container with a drink with gauze, remove the kvass for 10 hours in a warm place to wander.
7. After the time allotted for fermentation, we remove the formed foam from the top of the kvass, filter the kvass itself into bottles, tightly cork the lids.
8. We remove for two days in the refrigerator.
Recipe 4. Red kvass from Borodino bread and raisins
• 80-100 grams of Borodino bread;
• 15 grams of yeast;
• three liters of water; • 200 grams of light raisins;
• a teaspoon of flour.
1. Cut the bread into small cubes, spread on a baking sheet, dry.
2. Water is boiled, poured into a jar of a suitable size. Here we put the crackers, insist the wort for 3 hours.
3. Mix in a small container the flour and yeast, pour the mixture into the wort, mix well. Leave the red brew for a day at room temperature.
4. After the drink is filtered and bottled.
5. Put the raisins in each bottle, keep the drink for three-four hours in the heat, then put it in the refrigerator for three days.
Recipe 5. Beet red kvass
• kilo of beets;
• two liters of water;
• two tablespoons of sugar;
• a piece (20-30 grams) of black bread;
• a pinch of salt;
• A slice of garlic.
1. Thoroughly wash, peel and grate beets on a coarse grater.
2. Cut the vegetables into several parts and shift them into a three-liter jar.
3. Add sugar, salt and a slice of black bread.
4. Cover the jar with the preparation of gauze, remove for 3-4 days in a warm place.
5. For half a day until readiness add the peeled and cut into two pieces of garlic.
6. Before use, we filter the finished kvass and cool it for two hours in the refrigerator.
Recipe 6. Fruit red plum kvass
• three-quarters of a 12-liter red plum bucket;
• 50 grams of yeast;
• sugar and water.
1. Rinse the drain thoroughly, place it in a tub or bucket, pour water over it so that the liquid covers the drain with 2-3 fingers.
2. Add the yeast, cover the bucket with material so that in the process no midges get into the drink.
3. Leave in a warm place for 10 days to ferment. Once or twice a day, mix the mass with a large wooden spoon.
4. After a week and a half, mix the plum so intensely that the fruit pulp separates from the seed.
5. Strain the liquid through a fine sieve, dilute to taste with boiled cool water and sugar.
6. We pour the filtered red kvass into bottles, we withstand another day in a warm place, after two days in the refrigerator.
Recipe 7. Red Kvass
• 1.2 rye malt;
• 400 grams of barley malt;
• 25 grams of dry yeast;
• two tablespoons of flour;
• 400 grams of sugar;
• 100 grams of raisins;
• dried hops - 3-4 pcs.
1. Put the malt in the pan, pour boiling water over so that a thick gruel is obtained.
2. Put the pan with malt on a slow fire, simmer until evaporation of the liquid.
3. Leave the gruel for a day in a warm place.
4. The next day, pour the mass into another container, pour boiled water, let it brew for 2-3 hours, then pour a clean layer of kvass into a dry glass jar. Malt that remains at the bottom can be re-filled with water one more time.
5. Dilute yeast in 300 ml of merged kvass, 2 tablespoons of flour, mix.
6. Pour the resulting dough into kvass, put two glasses of sugar, dried hops and 100 grams of raisins.
7. Thoroughly mix, insist 12 hours.
8. Remove yeast, hops and raisins raised during fermentation, we filter the beverage itself into bottles.
9. Red kvass can be consumed a day after filtration.
Red Kvass - Tricks and Tips
• When preparing red kvass, special attention should be paid to the container in which the drink will be infused. The container should be made of non-oxidizing material. It can be enameled pans, earthenware jars, glass jars.
• Adjust the sweetness of the drink yourself. Ie, depending on your taste preferences, you can put sugar more or less than what is indicated in the recipe.
• In order for the drink to “reach” the desired state and get really tasty, during fermentation it is important to observe the temperature conditions of the room where the process will take place. The room should be at least 25 degrees, it is desirable to put a container with red kvass on the windowsill during the day under the sun's rays, where the temperature sometimes reaches 30-35 degrees.