Cakes are wonderful relatives of such popular pies.
There was a time, they differed in the presence or absence of filling. And they made pies in wealthy houses, and flatbreads - where is easier.
The times are long gone, and scones with a filling are no longer a rarity, but they are distinguished from pies ... well, except perhaps in a more rounded, bread-like form, and the dough is usually tried to make lean and coarse.
However - to whom, what to taste!
Ham Scones - General Cooking Principles
• Homemade tortillas with ham baked in the oven or fry in a pan in a small amount of vegetable fat. They are prepared with filling and without it.
• Ham for tortillas fit any. It is ground by a grater or cut into medium-sized thin slices, and then mixed with dough or put into the filling. Often, in addition, cheese chopped on a grater and finely chopped greens are used. To enhance the taste of the ham, you can fry it slightly, without overdrying its pieces.
• Dough for bread can be picked yeast, on kefir, sour cream or water. It is even prepared from mashed potatoes or canned corn. Flour in them is added in small quantities to bond together the other components.
• Ham and flatbread served with soup and meat dishes instead of bread. They are also served with tea, coffee or milk drinks.
Sweet cakes with ham and cheese
• 300 grams of flour;
• 40 ml of purified oil;
• non-spicy tomato ketchup;
• hard “Russian” cheese - 150 gr .;
• pork ham, boiled - 200 gr;
• Spice “For pizza” - a couple of pinches.
1. Boil 300 ml of drinking water.
2. In a large bowl, cross the flour, add a pinch of fine salt and mix thoroughly.
3. Pour boiling water into the flour and knead the dough, first with a spoon and then with your hands on the table.
4. When the dough cools well, cut it into ten pieces and roll out each thin cake.
5. Lubricate blanks with ketchup and sprinkle with spices “For pizza”. Spread crushed ham on half of each cake and sprinkle with small cheese chips. 6. Wrap the free edge of the flatcake on the filling and tightly secure the edges.
7. Warm up in a frying pan, and then heat the vegetable oil strongly. In it, fry the semi-finished products on both sides. Turn and reach only after they are covered with a light blush.
Corn Tortilla with Ham
• 300 gr. canned corn;
• two small bulbs;
• four tablespoons of flour;
• 50 gr. ham;
• 70 gr. “Dutch” or “Kostroma” cheese;
• two eggs, large;
• butter, natural oil.
1. From the jar of corn, pick up four tablespoons of the marinade in a separate cup, drain the rest of the marinade.
2. Wash the eggs with warm water, and, carefully breaking the shells with a knife, separate the yolks from the proteins.
3. Beat the yolks well with salt and flour. Then add to them chopped onion chopped into small pieces and mix thoroughly.
4. Slightly pepper, add corn and selected marinade. Pour the ham, cut into medium-sized cubes, and the cheese grated on large chips, mix.
5. Beat the squirrels well and mix them gently with the corn-ham mass.
6. In a frying pan, with minimal heat, melt the butter and, slightly raising the temperature, warm it well. Then, using a spoonful of cooked mass, put small tortillas and fry on each side, achieving a bright blush.
Belarusian yeast tortillas with ham - “Smazhentsy”
In the dough:
• a pound of white flour;
• two chicken eggs;
• 20 gr. instant dry yeast;
• tablespoon of sugar;
• Spoon refined sunflower oil;
• 200 ml of pasteurized milk.
In the filling:
• 150 g of hard, mild cheese;
• 200 gr. ham;
• small pickled cucumber;
• any smoked sausage - 100 gr.
• one and a half tablespoons of garlic ketchup;
• mayonnaise, fatty - 1 tbsp. l .;
• spoonful of thick tomato;
• sour cream - two spoons;
• natural butter - 30 gr .;
1. Dissolve the yeast in a glass of slightly warmed water. Add a tablespoon of sugar and a small spoonful of fine salt to the mixture, two full spoons of flour. Stir and put closer to heat. 2. The yeast mixture will begin to bubble. Immediately mix it with warm milk. Add a whipped egg and vegetable oil. Pour all the flour and knead the dough. Shape it into a ball, place it in a large bowl and leave, covering the container with a towel. After about two hours, crush the ball with your hands and leave for another two hours.
3. Pickled cucumber, ham, smoked sausage and cheese chop into chips with a large grater. Mix ham and sausage.
4. In a small cup, mix the sour cream with a small pinch of ground pepper.
5. On a baking tray, apply a thin layer of butter.
6. Pinch off small pieces of dough and lightly press them down on the baking sheet with your palm so that the cakes are up to 0.7 cm thick. Spread out the pieces at a centimeter distance.
7. When fill the entire baking sheet, grease the tortillas with mayonnaise mixed with tomato paste and ketchup. Top with sausage with ham and close the meat layer with chopped pickled cucumber, sprinkle with cheese on it rarely.
8. Lightly press the filling with your hands and brush with sour cream and ground pepper.
9. Put a pan with cakes in the oven. Temperatures - 200 degrees, duration - up to 20 minutes.
Potato scones with ham
• 700 gr. potatoes;
• one egg;
• 90 gr. flour;
• teaspoon sesame seed;
• turmeric, curry and a mixture of ground peppers - to taste
• spoon of refined oil.
1. Peel the potatoes, cut into slices and cook in lightly salted water. Decant broth, and mash potatoes with a crush and cool well.
2. Smash an egg into mashed potatoes. Add turmeric, curry and peppers to your taste. Pour the ham and finely chopped green onion rings into the diced ham. Knead the potato dough thoroughly, it will stick slightly to your hands.
3. Cover the baking sheet with parchment and apply a thin layer of vegetable oil on it. Use hands moistened in water to form small round cake, half a centimeter thick, from potato dough, and distribute them over the baking tray.
4. Evenly prick the surface of the products with a fork and moisten them with sunflower oil. Sprinkle with sesame on top and set for 15 minutes. in the oven. Temperature - 180 degrees.
Cheese cakes with ham on yogurt
• a full glass of fatty kefir;
• “Kostroma or Russian” cheese - 200 gr .;
• 0.5 spoonful of sugar;
• refined oil;
• 0.5 spoons of soda;
• half a spoonful of salt;
• 250 gr. pork ham
1. Preheat the kefir in advance by placing a container with a fermented milk product in warm water.
2. Pour the kefir into a wide, voluminous bowl. Pour soda into it, stir vigorously and leave for ten minutes.
3. Add salt and granulated sugar, add the chopped out very fine cheese and stir again.
4. Pouring flour in small portions, knead the dough and let it stand for twenty minutes.
5. Cut ham into thin, medium-sized bars or grate with a large grater.
6. Split the dough into pieces and form a ball out of each.
7. Roll the dough pieces into cakes, place the ham filling in the center and close the edges of the products over the filling. Then flip over and lightly roll the cakes with a rolling pin, giving them a neater shape.
8. In a frying pan, warm the vegetable oil for a few minutes, lower and fry in it the bread cakes on both sides, until an appetizing golden crust appears.
Cakes with ham and cheese, in a pan on sour cream
• 300 gr. high fat sour cream;
• three eggs;
• young dill;
• 100 gr. fresh “Russian” cheese;
• ham, any boiled - 100 gr .;
• five tablespoons of flour.
1. Pour the eggs into a bowl, add sour cream, a small pinch of salt to them and mix well with a whisk or mixer.
2. In the process of mixing, add to the mixture a spoonful of flour. When all the flour is consumed, the dough should turn out, its consistency resembling thick sour cream.
3. Bring ham and cheese with medium chips, chop dill with a knife and add all the chopped ingredients to the dough. Stir.
4. Heat a few spoons of non-aromatic vegetable oil well in a pan and put a few spoons of dough in it. Use a spatula to spread it evenly across the bottom of the pan and fry the cake, three minutes per side.
Ham Pie - Cooking Tips and Tips
• Do not add a lot of filling to the cakes and firmly glue the edges so that the filling does not fall out during frying.
• When frying the flat cakes, do not pour a lot of oil into the pan, otherwise the products will turn out to be too fat, after roasting, place on a disposable towel or napkin to remove the remaining oil from them
• To prevent sesame seeds from sprinkling from finished products, lubricate their surface with water or oil before sprinkling.
• Try adding pickled cheese to the filling instead of hard cheese, or to it. The filling will be looser and the taste of the cakes will improve.
• Ham from large and flat cans for filling the cakes is not suitable, it contains too much moisture. But home-made types of ham, especially from poultry, are simply made for such baking.
• If you are cooking homemade ham, meaning in advance that a portion will go into the filling for the cakes, make it slightly saltier and somewhat less greasy. Excess moisture is also not good, but too dry ham should not be.
• If you bake cakes in the oven, be sure to cover the baking sheet with parchment or grease it with butter so that they do not stick to the roaster.
• In the northern regions of Ukraine, bread with ham stuffed served, supplying with cream and garlic sauce. Baking is done somewhat under-salted, and salt, crushed garlic and sour cream are mixed, whipped and served in sauceboats separately. Such flat cakes are called “Smazheniki” and they appear as a completely independent dish. Hot smazheniki dipped in chilled sauce, washed down with sweet tea.