Snack pies and croissants, cakes and pies, pastries and sweet puffs are made from puff pastry. Many housewives buy this product in the store, as it is believed that at home to prepare such a dough is difficult and time consuming. In fact, the technology is quite simple, albeit specific. The process takes a lot of time, but we are not talking about the active actions of the cook: it will take about half an hour to knead and roll out the dough; for the rest of the period, it will simply lie in the fridge, without requiring attention from the chef. Taste of products from home-made dough is different from baking from the store for the better. Unleavened puff pastry is cooked faster than yeast, it turns out less lush, but more layered. Many cooks prefer to use it for puff pastry.
Even a hostess who has not previously engaged in anything like this can make a yeast-free puff pastry — all you need to do is follow the recipe and recommendations below.
- Flour is of high quality. Products from such dough are often prepared without filling, so the taste of the flour base must be impeccable. If you use a second-rate flour, pastries goes unappetizing, has a grayish tinge and an unpleasant aftertaste.
- Flour must be sieved before combining with other ingredients. This is done not only in order to save it from the small litter and the larvae of the flour moth. The main goal is to saturate the flour with oxygen, after sifting it becomes light, better connected with other components, without forming lumps. And then baking turns more tender and airy.
- In order to make the dough layered, it is rolled out, repeatedly folding, previously layered with butter or margarine. It is important that the fat is not absorbed into the dough; for this, after each rolling, the dough is cooled.
- The more times you roll out the dough, the more layers there will be.
- Using butter makes baking more pleasant to taste, replacing it with margarine helps to cheapen the product. Savings are significant, as the butter on the preparation of puff pastry takes a lot.
- Adding sour ingredients helps to enhance the layering of the dough. We are talking about vinegar, citric acid or citrus juice. They are almost always present in the recipe for puff pastry. To exclude them from the composition is extremely undesirable, but it is also not necessary to exceed the recommended dose, otherwise the dough may acquire unnecessary sourness.
- You can roll puff pastry in three ways. In the first case, the butter is wrapped in pure dough; in the second, butter mixed with flour is wrapped. In the third case, the dough itself is wrapped in butter and rolled, this option is complicated and is used rarely, more often by professional pastry chefs. At home, the dough is prepared in any of the first two ways.
- For mixing the basics of puff pastry, products of room temperature are usually used. For this, boiled water is cooled, and part of the oil and eggs, if they are included in the composition, are removed from the refrigerator in advance.
- Before you put the butter layer on the dough and roll it, spread the butter or oil flour between the sheets of parchment and spread it between them with a rolling pin or even with your hands. Before combining with the dough, the oil layer is cooled.
- Given the duration of the preparation of puff pastry, many housewives prepare it for the future, making immediately from 1 kg of flour. Store the product in the freezer for up to 1, 5-4 months (the store product is stored longer due to the tightness of the packaging and the absence of perishable products as part of the composition).
Bake products from puff pastry in an oven preheated to 220 degrees. Baking time depends on the size of the products. It usually takes 20-25 minutes.
Yeast-free puff pastry on butter with citric acid
- wheat flour - 0, 42 kg;
- cold water - 0, 2 l;
- butter - 0, 3 kg;
- citric acid - 1 g;
- salt - 2 g.
Method of preparation:
- Sift flour. Two glasses pour it into a bowl, the rest while set aside.
- Cool the boiled water in the refrigerator, add citric acid and salt to it, mix.
- Make a well in the flour. Pour in approximately 150 ml of water. Stir the flour thoroughly with acidified water. This can be done with a spoon or spatula, but if there is a mixer in the house, it is better to resort to his help.
- Put the dough on a floured board, complete the kneading process with your hands.
- Wrap the dough in foil and refrigerate. It should be cooled for at least an hour.
- Place the remaining flour on the table. Rub the oil on it. Quickly rub the butter with flour, collect in a room, clean for 20 minutes in the freezer.
- Place the oily-flour mass between the sheets of parchment, break the rolling pin and distribute between the sheets, resulting in an oily rectangle. Temporarily put it in the fridge.
- Roll the dough into a layer about 1 cm thick. In the center lay out the oil layer, removing the parchment from it. Slip the edges of the dough over the oil layer to cover it completely.
- Roll out the dough with the oil filling from the middle to the edges, being careful not to tear the dough.
- Visually divide the dough rectangle into 4 parts. Turn the two edges to the center axis, then fold the dough in half axis. Wrap in foil, put in the fridge for an hour.
- After an hour, remove the dough from the fridge, roll again, fold into 4-6 layers, put in the refrigerator.
- Repeat the process of rolling and folding the dough with its subsequent cooling 4 more times.
After another rolling out the dough, you can proceed to the formation of the products. Place unused dough in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer. Butter in the recipe makes baking from such a dough especially tasty, but reduces its shelf life to 1, 5 months. If butter is replaced with margarine, the dough will not deteriorate within 3-4 months.
Unleavened puff pastry on margarine with vodka
- wheat flour - 0, 3 kg;
- margarine - 0, 3 kg;
- water - 150 ml;
- table vinegar (9 percent) - 20 ml;
- vodka or brandy - 10-15 ml;
- salt - 2 g.
Method of preparation:
- Cool boiled water to room temperature, combine with vinegar and alcoholic drink, mix.
- Mix sifted flour with salt.
- Make a hole in the flour, pour the prepared liquid into it, knead the dough.
- Make a ball out of dough, wrap it with cling film and leave it at room temperature for half an hour to make the dough more pliable.
- Sprinkle the board with flour, put the margarine cut into small pieces on it. Mash it with your hands, forming a rectangle. Wrap it with cling film and place in the fridge.
- After 20-30 minutes, roll out the dough, wrap a margarine rectangle in it, roll it into a 1-1.5 cm thick layer. Fold the envelope and put it in the refrigerator.
- After 30-60 minutes, roll the dough again, roll it up, put it in the fridge. Repeat this manipulation 4 more times, each time cooling the dough.
Puff pastry mixed in margarine is well stored and relatively inexpensive. Baking it turns out tender, crispy and layered. There is no taste and smell of alcohol in it, so do not be afraid to add drinks to the dough, even if you are preparing a dessert for children.
Unleavened puff pastry with egg
- wheat flour - 0, 4 kg;
- water - 120 ml;
- lemon juice - 20 ml;
- salt - 2 g;
- chicken egg - 1 pc .;
- butter - 0, 2 kg.
Method of preparation:
- Sift 2 cups of flour, mix it with salt.
- In a clean container break the egg, shake it with a fork. Add cool boiled water and lemon juice. Whisk with a whisk.
- Pour the liquid mixture into a bowl of sifted flour, mix well. Finish kneading the dough manually by placing it on a floured work surface.
- Put the dough in the bag, leave it on the table.
- Remove the oil from the refrigerator, leave it for 15-20 minutes, during which time it will soften.
- Mix the butter with the remaining flour. They can be rubbed with your fingers or mixed using a blender.
- Collect the fat mass in a coma.
- Roll out the dough, wrap the butter in it. Put the dough with the seam down in a bowl, cover it with cling film and put it in the main chamber of the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes.
- After the indicated time, remove the dough, thinly roll it, fold it into 4-6 layers, put in the refrigerator for half an hour. Repeat the procedure 4-5 times.
Baking from the dough prepared according to this recipe is tasty and tender. Butter in this recipe can be replaced with margarine. The result will change, but not significant.
Unleavened puff pastry is not as difficult to make at home as inexperienced cooks think about it. Time to prepare this semi-finished product will take a lot, but most of it will be required to cool the dough. The very process of kneading and rolling out the dough does not take much strength from the hostess.