In the Mediterranean cuisine reigns a real cult of basil, this plant adorns with its presence sauces, pizza, salads. The unusual tart taste makes the dishes piquancy. In Italy, a non-standard method of basil application was invented, and a delicious refreshing drink is prepared from it. The tonic effect of compote can be compared only with green tea, and its taste will be quite “fruit”.
- purple basil - 1 bunch,
- water - 2 liters,
- half a large lemon,
- sugar - 100 grams.
1. Compote is usually prepared from varieties of purple basil, only such plants are able to provide a saturated pink color. Remove the hard basal part, and the stems and leaves go to work. If you plan to do the preparation of compote only the next day, immerse the torn basil in a large bowl of water, as a good drink from sluggish leaves will not work.
2. Basil and lemon are cut into large chunks. The skin of lemon is not cut off, therefore it should be pre-washed with a brush.
3. Put basil and lemon pieces in a saucepan, add sugar. The amount of sugar specified in the recipe allows you to get compote, which will be present slightly mild. If you like sweeter drinks, the proportions can be increased.
4. Basil is poured with water and set on fire, boiling time - 15 minutes. The longer the compote boils, the brighter the color becomes.
5. Compote is filtered through a sieve and poured into a jug or bottle.
6. Basil drink can also be offered hot, to taste it will resemble a concentrated red currant berry tea.
7. Compote is served chilled, ice cubes are thrown at it.
Basil leaves can be dried to pamper yourself with a tasty drink in winter. But the taste of this compote will be different, it will become less expressive. So do not miss the possibilities of the summer season, prepare a real compote in Italian. On the basis of compote you can cook jelly, jelly, sweet pink ice. Jelly from basil is used to fill the top layer of cakes, it turns out a beautiful pale pink color.