Germany is considered the birthplace of this dish. There this rosy and very hearty dish is served with a glass of foaming cold beer. Of course, such a combination does not have a very beneficial effect on the figure, so men prefer the knuckle more. However, there are exceptions.
For example, they say that the famous Marlene Dietrich never refused to cook in the oven, ruddy pork leg and considered this dish to be her favorite. Shin can be baked without vegetables. But supplemented with potatoes, it can be a full meal. After all, you no longer need to think what to think about a side dish.
To prepare you need to take:
- 1 pork shank,
- 1 small carrot,
- 1 onion,
- 2 bay leaves,
- 3-4 whole peppercorns,
- 2 tablespoons of mustard,
- 1 tablespoon of honey,
- 1 tablespoon of seasoning (coriander, thyme, rosemary),
1. Soak the pork shank in cold water for a couple of hours. Then remove the drumstick and drain the water.
2. Peel the onions and carrots. Carrots cut into thick slices, onions - quarters.
3. Pour water over the drumstick and place it on the stove. When the water starts to boil, remove the froth and cook for three hours - until fully cooked. An hour before taking off from the fire, salt, add onions and carrots. In five minutes - bay leaf and sweet peas. Remaining after cooking shank broth should not be poured. It turns out very fragrant and nourishing and is perfect for cooking borscht, pickle, kharcho.
4. Cook the marinade. To do this, mix the mustard, honey and seasonings. A mixture of seasonings can be replaced if desired with aromatic herbs, for example, with Provencal.
5. Remove the drumstick from the broth. Cool slightly and coat with carefully prepared marinade. Grease a baking sheet with vegetable oil. Put your shin on it. Peel the potatoes, cut them into slices and lay around.
6. Send to the oven. Bake at 200 degrees until cooked potatoes.
7. Put the finished dish on a plate and help yourself.