In a short time Japanese cuisine managed to conquer European countries, including Russia. Sushi and rolls took root in Russia in particular. These dishes are made from rice with vinegar seasoning and seafood, as well as other ingredients. Since sushi rolls are made from perishable foods, buying them or preparing them at home, it is important to know how much to keep them, how long and under what conditions.
How to store sushi and rolls
First of all, it is worth noting the difference between sushi and rolls. Rolls is a type of sushi. The main difference between these two dishes in the form of cooking and filling. Sushi is an oblong-shaped rice cake over which a piece of fish or other seafood tied with a strip of nori - seaweed is laid. Rolls have the form of a roll and can contain absolutely any filling. But no matter how the rolls and sushi are different, they are based on rice, which is well glued.
Since sushi rolls, as mentioned earlier, are made from products that are not subject to long-term storage, they are best eaten immediately after preparation. In fresh, these dishes are the most delicious and healthy. But if you still can’t eat sushi right away - you cooked or ordered more than you need, you can keep them in the fridge.
- Sushi can be stored in the refrigerator only if it is fresh. Therefore, ordering this dish, always check it for freshness. It is very easy to identify. Freshly cooked rice rolls and filling have a natural shine. In addition, rice should be soft, white and not weathered. Also pay attention to the smell. The fresh dish has a pleasant aroma without sour notes.
- Sushi is best kept in a pot made of wood or porcelain. It is advisable to use flat dishes. Also for their storage suitable vacuum containers and glass containers. But in plastic boxes sushi can not be stored. Such capacity is intended only for carrying dishes, and not for storage.
- When storing a product in a refrigerator, always store them in one row, that is, so that they do not lie on top of each other.
- It is possible to increase the shelf life of sushi using food film. She should close the dishes in which they are stored in order to prevent the drying of the main component - rice. Also, the film will help relieve the filling from winding.
- To make sushi at home, always use only the freshest, highest quality products. Only in this case they will be able to preserve freshness. Also, when preparing rolls or sushi, strictly follow the technology of their preparation. Otherwise they will deteriorate very quickly.
It should be noted that not all sushi and rolls are subject to storage. It all depends on what the filling has a dish. If there is fresh fish in the composition, then such rolls should not be stored even in the refrigerator, because they should be eaten during the first hour of cooking, not later. Otherwise, there is a high risk of food poisoning. It is allowed to store only those sushi and rolls, for the filling of which products are used that have been processed - freezing, salting, smoking and heat treatment. Sushi filled with vegetables or fruit is best kept. As for hot rolls, they, like rolls with raw fish, also can not be stored in the refrigerator.
If you want to preserve the freshness of the product, always use only a refrigerator. The freezer is absolutely not suitable for this. First, after defrosting, sushi will lose its attractive appearance; secondly, they lose their taste; thirdly, rice after thawing becomes tasteless and watery. In other words, from the frozen rolls and sushi no benefit, no taste. If you still decide to freeze sushi, make sure that the temperature in the freezer does not exceed -10 degrees. You need to defrost the dish in the refrigerator, and only then serve.
These Asian dishes are recommended to be stored in a refrigerator at a temperature of +2 to +6 degrees.
- Sushi and rolls, in which caviar is used as a filling, can stay fresh for 12 hours.
- Sushi with meat, poultry, eggs, smoked meats, fish, shrimps, squid and other seafood can be stored in the refrigerator for 18 to 24 hours. Of course, provided that the products described were processed.
- Rolls with fruits and vegetables can be stored for the longest. They will be fit for eating 48 hours. Note that if the rolls have mayonnaise, even in the refrigerator they should be kept no more than 2 hours.
At room temperature, such dishes are stored for no more than 3 hours, then they begin to deteriorate. In the heat, they will become dangerous for ingestion somewhat faster. After 2 hours, the harmful bacteria that can cause serious food poisoning will begin to actively proliferate in them.
Knowing the subtleties described, it is possible to preserve the freshness, and at the same time, the benefits of sushi and rolls. But it is still advisable to use them as quickly as possible, because this is the only way to enjoy the bouquet of these Japanese dishes.