Melon has a unique taste and an enchanting aroma, fresh and honey-sweet at the same time. For many, melon smell is associated with summer. However, this melon crop can be prepared for the winter. Melon jam has a delicious amber color and preserves the flavor and aroma of the main ingredient. You can prepare it for future use both in a monovariant and together with fruits that will add the missing sourness to the delicacy.
The process of cooking melon jam is not very complex, but it has certain subtleties, without knowing which you can not get the expected result.
- Melon makes a good pair with apples, citrus fruits and other sour fruits, but they cannot be added in large quantities, otherwise they will kill the subtle melon flavor.
- Vanillin, cinnamon and anise are able to add some pleasant notes to melon jam taste, but they are also used in moderation.
- Melon for jam can be taken not only ripe, but also immature, and overripe. Surprisingly, even a watery and tasteless melon in jam acquires a rich taste and characteristic odor.
- The melon flesh can be separated from the peel in any convenient way, without worrying that the pieces are of the same size and shape. To make jam, melon has to be cooked for so long that it softens and turns into a homogeneous mass even without grinding it with a blender.
- To obtain a jam of smooth consistency, it is boiled from fruit puree or ground in the last stage of cooking using an immersion blender.
- To get more jam, boil it with the addition of water, thickening with pectin, agar-agar or other astringent. It is necessary to use gelling additives taking into account the recommendations of the manufacturer, placed on the package.
- The ready melon jam should be laid out along the banks washed with soda and sterilized. Close these desserts with metal lids, ensuring tightness. They must be sterilized by boiling before use.
The storage conditions for the melon jam depend on the recipe used. Usually, these blanks can be stored in any cool room, but some delicacy options will not spoil only in the refrigerator.
Simple Melon Jam Recipe
Composition (for 0, 75 l):
- melon pulp - 1 kg;
- sugar - 0, 7 kg.
- Wash the melon, blot it with a napkin, cut it in half. Remove the pulp with seeds. Cut the remaining pulp so that the mesh is formed, dividing it into rectangles. Do not cut the peel.
- Separate the pulp from the peel with a spoon, fold it into a blender container and chop to a puree.
- Put the mashed potatoes in a bowl, add sugar, mix. It is not necessary to wait for the sugar to dissolve, because the melon is juicy, and when heated, its juice begins to dissolve the sugar very quickly, and the puree does not have time to burn.
- Place the basin with the melon on a slow fire. Cook 10 minutes, removing the foam, remove from heat.
- Cover it with a gauze to protect it from insects, but not with a lid - it will prevent moisture from evaporating.
- Repeat the procedure of 10-minute boiling 3-4 times with an interval of 4-5 hours. During this time, the melon mass will acquire the consistency of jam.
- Sterilize the jars and their lids.
- Spread the jam over the jars, without waiting for it to cool.
- Hermetically sealed with prepared caps.
After the delicacy has cooled, you can put it in the pantry or other place where you usually store supplies for the winter. In a cool room (unheated storeroom, basement), the jam can be stored for a year, at room temperature, it will stand for at least 6 months without spoiling.
Lemon Melon Jam
The composition (1, 5 l):
- melon pulp - 2 kg;
- lemon - 1 pc .;
- sugar - 1, 25 kg;
- cinnamon - 1 stick.
- Wash the lemon thoroughly, put it in boiling water, boil for 2-3 minutes, remove and cool. This is necessary to remove excess bitterness.
- Separate the flesh of the melon from the peel, cut it into small pieces of any shape, fold it into the pelvis.
- Cut the lemon lengthwise into 4 parts, cut it into quarters into circles about 0.5 cm thick.
- Put the lemon slices over the melon, put all the sugar in it, leave for 5-6 hours.
- Place the container of melon and lemon on a slow fire, add cinnamon stick.
- Boil half an hour, removing the foam protruding on the surface.
- Take out the cinnamon. Pulp melon and lemon mashed with an immersion blender.
- Return the mashed potatoes to the stove, boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Spread the jam over sterilized jars, stoppered.
The billet is well worthy at room temperature, but it is stored much better in a cool room.
Melon jam with apple
The composition (1, 5 l):
- melon pulp - 1, 5 kg;
- apples (peeled) - 0.75 kg;
- sugar - 1 kg.
- Cut apples and melon pulp into small cubes, add sugar, leave for 4-5 hours.
- Stir. Put on a slow fire. Boil down for 30 minutes, removing the foam.
- Melon and apple slices will soften during this time, becoming a thick mass. If you want to get jam of a smoother consistency, smash the food with a blender and boil for 5 minutes.
- Fill the prepared jars with jam, close them tightly.
This jam has a pleasant taste and a thick texture, well worth it even at room temperature.
Homemade melon jam can be served as a stand-alone dessert, spread on sandwiches, used as a filling for making sweet pastries.