Romesco sauce refers to Spanish, and more specifically, to Catalan cuisine. Here it is served to baked onions, but this liquid seasoning is in harmony not only with vegetables. It is considered a good addition to fish and seafood. Often it is served to rabbit meat. It combines well with poultry meat. Romésco sauce is made from tomatoes, sweet peppers and nuts. Often bread crumbs, garlic, vinegar or wine, various seasonings, olive oil are included in its composition. The traditional version of the above seasoning is made from a special sort of pepper, dried naturally. But modern versions of the recipe allow you to make Catalan sauce of baked peppers of any kind and even of raw vegetables, so you can get acquainted with the taste of this culinary masterpiece without leaving your home.
The process of making romesco sauce can not be called very simple, but even the novice hostess will cope with the task if she knows and takes into account several important points when cooking.
- To make the sauce, choose a juicy red pepper. It has a lot of pulp, and it is easier to cleanse the skin, and also has a more saturated color and taste.
- After baking, the pepper should be put in a bag and tied, left for 15-20 minutes. Steaming, vegetables will be better cleaned, as the skin itself will move away from the pulp. However, before being placed in the bag, the peppers should be allowed to cool slightly, otherwise thin polyethylene will melt. If you do not want to wait or are afraid that the peppers are cooled too much, you can put them in a container with a tight lid or in a roasting sleeve that withstands high temperatures.
- If you are cooking raw romesko sauce, not only peppers, but also tomatoes must be cleaned of seeds, so that the seasoning has a delicate texture.
- You will need a blender to chop nuts and dried bread. They grind vegetables to puree. After all the ingredients are whipped together with a blender. If the house does not have this useful unit, you can do with a meat grinder and a blender. Then all the products are rotated through a meat grinder, supplemented with liquid ingredients and whipped with a mixer.
- Of the nuts used for romesco sauce, almonds or hazelnuts (or a mixture of them) are commonly used.
- Bread for making sauce is needed wheat and already dried. If there is no stale loaf in the house, it can be replaced with dryers.
- It is advisable to prepare the sauce of the romesco for 2-3 hours for serving to the table, so that all the ingredients are better soaked in the taste and aroma of each other, becoming a single unit.
Served Catholian seasoning chilled with baked vegetables, fish, rabbit or poultry meat.
National Catalan Hazelnut Sauce
- Bulgarian pepper - 0, 5 kg;
- tomatoes - 0, 3 kg;
- drying - 100 g;
- peeled hazelnuts - 60 g;
- garlic - 2 cloves;
- grape vinegar (6%) - 20 ml;
- olive oil - 120 ml;
- dried paprika - 5 g;
- salt - to taste.
- Wash peppers, prick with a toothpick in several places. Put them on a baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 200-220 degrees, place a baking sheet with peppers on the top shelf. Bake them, sometimes turning them over, until they appear tan.
- Fold the peppers into a container. Close it tightly. Leave for 20 minutes.
- Peel the skin off. Remove from them seeds and partitions. Pepper pulp cut into medium pieces.
- Slice the tomatoes crosswise. Dip them for 2 minutes in boiling water.
- Catch the fruits with a skimmer and place them in a container with cold water to cool them faster.
- Remove peel from tomatoes. Cut the fruit, remove from them the bags of seeds.
- Put drying and hazelnuts in the blender jar. Turn on the device, chop the contents of its bowl to the state of the crumb.
- Cut the garlic cloves into 3-4 pieces, put them to the nut-breadcrumb, add salt and ground paprika there. Turn on the blender for 10 seconds.
- Add the prepared vegetables, perebite them together with the rest of the products in the blender tank, until a homogeneous mass.
- Pour in vinegar and oil. Beat until the consistency of the sauce is completely smooth.
Considering the fact that the process of making romesco sauce takes a lot of time and effort, you can cook it more than once. In the main chamber of the refrigerator it can be stored for up to 2 weeks, in the freezer - up to 3 months.
Spicy romesco sauce with almonds
- sweet pepper (red) - 0, 25 kg;
- tomatoes - 150 g;
- peeled almonds - 30 g;
- dried white bread - 30 g;
- water - 20 ml;
- grape vinegar (6%) - 20 ml;
- chilli - 10-20 g;
- olive oil - 100 ml;
- salt - to taste.
- Wash vegetables, pat dry. Spread the sweet pepper with a toothpick, put it in a baking dish and send it to an oven heated to 220 degrees.
- Bake the pepper until it appears. Approximately 5 minutes before it is ready, put tomatoes cut in half to it.
- Put the baked tomatoes on a plate, tie the pepper into a tight bag or baking sleeve, leave it for 15 minutes.
- With a spoon, separate the flesh of the tomatoes from the skin, put them in a bowl.
- Remove peels from peppers, remove seeds and partitions from them. Cut the pulp into several pieces, put to the tomatoes.
- Soak white bread crumbs in boiled water.
- Peel the pepper from the seeds, chop its flesh finely.
- Grind almonds with a blender to a nut crumb. Add to it finely chopped with a knife garlic, hot peppers, baked vegetables and pressed bread.
- Turn on the blender, turn the products in its jug into a homogeneous mass.
- Add oil and vinegar to the bulk, whip the sauce again.
Pour the prepared sauce into the sauce-box and put it in the refrigerator for 2 hours, after which it can be used for its intended purpose.
Romesco sauce with nut mix and canned tomatoes
- sweet red pepper - 0, 4 kg;
- canned tomatoes (in own juice, peeled) - 0, 25 kg;
- hazelnuts - 30 g;
- almonds - 30 g;
- stale wheat bread - 50 g;
- garlic - 3 cloves;
- paprika flakes - 5 g;
- olive oil - 50 ml;
- apple cider vinegar (6%) - 20 ml;
- salt - a large shchip.
- Bake the peppers, tie them in a bag, let them sweat.
- Peel peels and seeds, cut into medium pieces.
- Bread cut into cubes, garlic - plates.
- Lubricate the pan with a small amount of oil (10 ml), brown the bread and garlic on it.
- Grind the nuts to a crumb state in a blender or using a meat grinder.
- Chop garlic toasts in the same way.
- In the bowl of the blender, place the baked peppers and tomatoes, whisk them.
- Add nuts, bread and garlic, whisk together the foods.
- Add the remaining oil, vinegar, salt and paprika. Turn on the blender for another 10-15 seconds.
It remains to cool the sauce and serve. It will be a good addition to fish and seafood, but not only to them - this sauce is almost universal.
The process of making Catalan sauce, known as romesco, is not quite simple, but the result justifies the effort. This liquid seasoning has a bright taste and color, suitable for almost all dishes.