In recent decades, various foreign delicacies have finally become quite affordable for many. Jamon is among them. But besides the fact that it is the dry-cured meat of a Spanish pig fed by acorns, we know nothing about this surprisingly tasty product. For example, we do not imagine how to store a delicacy. In the meantime, it is not necessary to create any special conditions for it. Here are some basic rules.
- Despite the fact that ham is essentially raw meat, its storage does not require low temperatures. Moreover, the cold is detrimental to the taste of this delicacy. Dry ground must be kept in a well-ventilated room with low humidity, where the temperature is always in the range of 16 to 20 ° C, that is, in normal household conditions.
- It is best to hang the gammon vertically, freeing it from the packaging, but you can also fix it in a special device for convenience of cutting - hamoner.
- It must always be remembered that in no case can the ham leg be kept in plastic packaging or in foil for a long time. These ham handling can be performed only for a short period of not more than a day, for example, for transportation.
- An already incised leg can be consumed for 4 months. At the same time it is necessary to take measures to ensure that the cut point remains fresh. It is enough to cover it with cut off sandpaper or a clean cotton towel. You can use oiled parchment or just smear the meat with any vegetable oil of your choice.
- It is better not to store sliced jamon at all, but if there are a few pieces left, they should be removed in the refrigerator. True, it is necessary to use not a food film, which will immediately destroy the product, but a foil or parchment, but so that they do not come into contact with the meat. It is best to cover the plate with slices with a wet towel. In this form, the product is desirable to maintain no more than 12 hours. Before use, jamon from the refrigerator must be held for a few minutes at room temperature in order to give its flavor fully open.
- When storing jamon next to other products that have a pronounced smell, remember that the ham can easily soak in them, and the expensive delicacy will be irretrievably spoiled. Yes, and "neighbors" will get a very unusual flavor.
- If mold has suddenly appeared on the ham, this does not mean that the product is spoiled. After all, we eat cheese with mold and without fear of drinking brandy with a characteristic smell. The fact is that the mold on this dry-cured meat has a noble natural origin and does not speak about the deterioration of the leg. You just need to clean the surface with an oiled towel and cut off the skin. If the greasy layer has a bitter taste, it also needs to be removed.
- Thrifty Russians like to keep many “goodies” for future use in the freezer. Jamon does not belong to the category of such products. This expensive delicacy must be enjoyed immediately after the purchase, until it has lost its original taste and aroma.