Pine is revered by many, not only for its beauty and stately appearance, but also for the presence in the composition of the bark, needles, cones and buds of a large number of useful substances that help to cope with many ailments. The kidneys have vitamins A, C, B2, K, as well as essential oils, tannins, resins, turpentine, starch, tannins, and mineral salts.
Pine buds have choleretic, blood-purifying, diuretic effects. They are a good remedy for respiratory diseases.
From the young cones and buds prepare tinctures and decoctions. Many people mistakenly believe that the bumps and buds are one and the same. In fact, the buds are young shoots of pine. They appear in early spring at the ends of the branches. Shoots up to 12 cm long are pinkish-brown in color and consist of fringed resinous scales, under which undeveloped needles are hidden.
A delicious drink is prepared from the “kidneys”, in which there are no less vitamins than lemon or tomato juice. From them brew beer. And also from them tasty jam turns out.
Pine buds are harvested before they begin to grow intensively during the period of swelling, without waiting for them to dissolve in February-March. Gather them in a pine forest, away from highways and industrial facilities. Cut them with a sharp knife at the base of the stem with already formed needles. For boiling jam from pine buds, you need to prepare a saucepan, which later will not be a pity to send to the pantry. The fact is that after cooking the jam it will be difficult to wash off the resin in the kidneys.
Prepare in advance glass jars with metal lids that need to be well washed, sterilized and dried.
Jam from pine buds. Option number 1
- pine buds - 500 g;
- sugar - 1000 g;
- water - 500 ml;
- juice of half a lemon.
Method of preparation:
- Pine buds are sorted, remove debris, twigs, needles. Fold in a colander and rinse under running water.
- Put them in a saucepan, cover with plenty of water, put on the stove. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes, reducing the heat. Flush the water again in a colander.
- Pour sugar into the pan, pour water. Stir. Put on the fire, bring to a boil and cook for five minutes.
- Put pine buds in the syrup. Bring it to the boil again. Add lemon juice. Remove from heat and cool.
- While the jam is cooling, make glass jars.
- Then put the jam back on the fire and cook for another half hour.
- Pour the prepared hot jam over the cans and roll up the lids. Turn the jars upside down, wrap and in this form, leave to cool completely.
Jam from pine buds. Option number 2
- pine buds;
Note: there is no strict norm of ingredients. Need to take 1 kg of sugar per 1 liter of infusion.
- Reassemble the kidneys, remove the garbage. Rinse under running water.
- Fold into the pot and pour so much water so that it covers the kidneys for 1, 5-2 cm.
- Put the dishes on the fire, bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Leave the resulting broth for 24 hours.
- Strain through a sieve. Kidney squeeze. Pour the liquid into the pan. Put the sugar. Put on the fire and boil for 1-1, 5 hours with a weak boil, be sure to remove the foam. During this time, the jam will increase by 1/3 of the original volume. The finished jam is obtained in dark amber color.
Jam from pine buds. Option number 3
- pine buds - a handful;
- sugar - 1, 5 st .;
- water - 1 tbsp.
- Pick the pine buds, remove litter, twigs and needles. Rinse under running water.
- Put in a saucepan, pour water and put on fire. Bring to a boil. Boil until the liquid boils out about 1/3.
- Add sugar. Boil until dissolved.
- Strain the jam through several layers of gauze or through a sieve. Pour into sterilized jars and roll up.
Mistress to note
- Jam from pine buds helps a lot with old cough, sore throat and cold. It should be taken one tablespoon three times a day with tea. This method of treatment is well suited for children.
- Despite this, jam should be taken with caution to children under 12 years of age and pregnant women, since individual intolerance to the components that make up the kidneys is possible.
- To add a piquant flavor while cooking, you can add a pinch of vanillin or 2-3 buds of cloves to the jam. When the jam is cooked, remove the cloves.
- Both fresh pine buds and a little dried are suitable for cooking jam. The cooking method is the same. Only in finished form, jam from fresh buds turns greenish, and from dried ones it will have a honey shade.
- Store the jam in a dark cool place.