Traditional Ukrainian borsch brewed from beets and cabbage. Not everyone likes these vegetables, some are not recommended by doctors. Can I cook borscht without them? It is problematic to cook this first dish without beets: it is this that gives it its characteristic taste and color. The taste of the soup cooked without cabbage will also change, but not so drastically. In Belarus and Poland, these soups are cooked without adding cabbage and are eaten with great appetite. Borscht without cabbage turns out to be original, but no less tasty and satisfying than traditional Ukrainian.
The principles of cooking borscht without cabbage are the same as when cooking traditional borscht.
- An important task when cooking borscht is to give the soup a rich red color, to prevent beet discoloration. Solve it will allow the knowledge of a few moments. The first point: not all beet varieties have a rich shade initially, the brightest of them are salad varieties, which are notable for their small size. The second point: the digestion of beet juice and the loss of a rich shade of beet often occur with prolonged cooking of vegetables. If the beets are put in the soup 10 minutes before it is ready, it will remain red. Just add it you need ready, fried, stewed or baked, otherwise it will remain damp. The third point: the use of acetic or citric acid helps to preserve the brightness of the color. Having processed the beets before laying in the soup with citric acid or vinegar, you protect it from discoloration.
- When cooking any filling soup, it is important to observe the correct ordering of products. A carrot is put in the borscht without cabbage; the dressing of beets and other vegetables is added after 15 minutes. After that, borsch should be cooked for no more than 10 minutes. If you add crushed garlic or fresh herbs to the pan at the end of cooking, let the soup boil for a couple of minutes to prevent it from spoiling ahead of time.
- Do not be afraid to cook borscht in large quantities: the next day, its taste will only get better. If you plan to eat it on the first day, let the soup stand under the lid for at least 20 minutes.
- To make borscht from cabbage turned out to be quite thick and nourishing, other vegetables (bell peppers, tomatoes), legumes (corn beans, and green beans, green peas), and meat are added to it. You can boil the soup on the water, but much tastier and more aromatic is the first dish made in meat or chicken broth.
- A clear broth will be only if it is time to remove the foam that appears on the surface when it boils, and boil it, avoiding vigorous boiling. To do this, cover the pan is not fully covered, the flame is made small. Ready broth can be filtered.
Serving borscht without cabbage is no different from the traditional one: sour cream and fresh greens are added to the soup. Separately, you can offer buns with garlic, rye croutons.
Borsch without cabbage with pork
- pork ribs - 0, 7 kg;
- carrots - 100 g;
- onions - 100 g;
- beets - 150 g;
- potatoes - 1 kg;
- fresh greens - 100 g;
- tomato paste - 40 ml;
- vegetable oil - 40 ml;
- fresh greens - 100 g;
- dried seasonings, pepper, bay leaf, salt - to taste;
- lemon - 0, 5 pcs .;
- water - 2, 5 l.
Method of preparation:
- Wash the pork ribs, cut into pieces with a knife, so that each has a bone. Put in a saucepan, cover with water.
- Set the pan on medium heat. Bring water to a boil. Cook for 5-10 minutes over medium heat, removing the foam from the skimmer. Reduce the intensity of the flame, cover the pan with a lid. Boil for an hour.
- Take the meat out of the broth. After cooling, separate the meat from the bones, finely chop.
- Strain the broth, put the meat into it.
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into cubes and a half centimeters.
- Free the onion from the husk, cut it into thin halves of the rings.
- Scrape carrots, wash and dry. Cut it into small pieces or straws.
- Peel the beets. Cut it into pieces of approximately the same shape and size as the carrot.
- Pour oil into a frying pan with high sides or in a saucepan, heat it.
- Put the onion in it, lightly brown it.
- Add carrots, fry them with onions for 5 minutes.
- Add the beets. Continue to sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste. Pass the vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the juice from half a lemon into the vegetables and mix.
- Add a soup ladle. Stew vegetables under the lid until the beets are completely soft.
- Bring the broth in the saucepan to a boil.
- Salt, season. Add potatoes. Boil 15 minutes.
- Add vegetable dressing, continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Finely chop the greens, throw in the pan with the soup.
- After cooking the soup for another 3 minutes, remove the pan from the heat. Infuse soup under the lid for 20 minutes.
When serving dishes to the table, add a spoonful of sour cream to each plate. Separately, offer spicy bread, garlic croutons or Ukrainian pampushki. By the same principle can be cooked beef borscht. For this it is better to use beef brisket. The cooking time of the broth must be increased by 30 minutes.
Dietary soup without cabbage with chicken
- chicken breast - 0, 5 kg;
- tomatoes - 0, 3 kg;
- sweet pepper - 0, 2 kg;
- beets - 0, 25 kg;
- potatoes - 0, 8 kg;
- garlic - 3 cloves;
- fresh parsley - 50 g;
- salt, pepper - to taste;
- water - 2, 5 l.
Method of preparation:
- Rinse the chicken breast. Fill with water. Throw in a pot a few peas allspice, a couple of leaves of laurel, salt. Bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes. At this time, remove the foam formed on the surface with a slotted spoon.
- Cover the pot with the lid, cook the chicken for 40 minutes.
- Wash vegetables.
- Wrap the beets in foil, send to the oven preheated to 180 degrees. Bake it for 40-50 minutes.
- Chop parsley finely. Garlic skip through the press.
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into small cubes.
- Scrape carrots, wash. Obsushiv, chop on a coarse grater or cut into thin strips.
- Cut the stem from the pepper, remove it together with the seeds. Cut the pepper into small squares.
- On the tomatoes, make cross-shaped cuts. Dip the vegetables for 2-3 minutes in boiling water. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fruit to a container of cold water, so that they cool down more quickly. Remove from water, clean. Cut seals in the stalk area. Cut the tomato cubes into pieces measuring about a centimeter.
- Free the onion from the peel, cut it into small cubes.
- After the required time has passed, remove the chicken breast from the broth, let it cool. Remove the skin, separate the meat from the bones. Cut the chicken fillet into small cubes, dip into the broth, pre-filtering it.
- Remove the beets from the oven. Allow to cool slightly, expand. Clean up. Rub it into a separate bowl. If desired, sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Dip potato cubes into boiling broth. After 10 minutes, put carrots, onions, peppers, and tomatoes in the soup.
- After 5 minutes, but not earlier than the soup starts to boil again, add the beets.
- After 5 minutes, put chopped greens and garlic in the soup. Stir. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the stove.
Insist the soup under the lid for 20 minutes. Serve with sour cream. This variant of borscht will appeal to those who monitor their health, trying to avoid eating fried. The color, taste and aroma of cooked borscht without cabbage according to the above recipe will not disappoint you.
Cabbage borscht is not traditional, but many peoples have similar borscht soups, which are prepared without this vegetable. If you are not a fan of boiled cabbage or it is not shown to you on the recommendations of a doctor, then you can safely cook the soup without it. The taste of the dish will be different from the traditional, but will remain pleasant.