Sweet cherry is a berry that ripens one of the first. And the hostess, taking the opportunity, try to prepare it for the winter. Moreover, even in a canned form, sweet cherry practically does not lose its taste, and also retains its beneficial properties.
If sweet cherry grows in favorable conditions, its fruits contain up to 17, 5% of sugars (glucose, fructose), 1, 2% of organic acids, 0, 32% of cellulose. It is rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, PP, E, C and useful trace elements: potassium, magnesium, iodine, iron.
Sweet cherries can be used in diabetes. It neutralizes excess acidity and normalizes the intestinal microflora. It is recommended to include in the diet with dysbiosis.
Sweet cherry is a soft berry. In order to preserve most of the useful substances during canning, it should be subjected to heat treatment as little as possible. The best option for the future preparation is compote.
- Large-fruited yellow and dark red cherries are best suited for compote. Berries for compote should have a pronounced taste and aroma.
- Cherry has varieties with an easily separable bone and those in which the bone is separated from the pulp poorly. Therefore, the choice of how to prepare a sweet cherry for the future should depend on how easy it is to work with this berry.
- Cherry for compote should be taken quite ripe, but not soft. Pre-berries are sorted out, removing green, wormy or birds nodding.
- Sweet cherry compote is valuable with berries, so they are put into the jar as much as possible. Only then will the drink be tasty and very fragrant.
- Sweet cherry blends well with other fruits, so assorted fruit is in great demand.
- Sweet cherry is much sweeter than cherry. If the cherry is poured with 60% syrup, then the optimal amount of sugar for sweet cherry is 350 g per 1 l of water.
- Citric acid can be added to sugar syrup for cherry compote. Its optimal amount is 1 g per 1 l of syrup.
Sweet cherry compote for the winter: the first recipe
Ingredients for two 2-liter jars:
- sweet cherry - 1, 5 kg;
- sugar - 350 g.
- water - 2, 5 l.
- Sort through the cherries, remove the stalks, as well as all the spoiled berries. Wash thoroughly.
- Prepare the jars by washing them with soda and rinsing them with hot water. Sterilize in a convenient way for you: in the oven or in boiling water. Boil the lids.
- Berries fill the jars to the shoulders.
- Pour water into an enamel saucepan, add sugar. Cook the syrup.
- Fill them with berries to the top.
- Place the jars in a wide pan of hot water. Cover with lids.
- Pasteurize compote at 80 °: half-liter jars - 20 minutes, liter - 30 minutes.
- Remove from water, seal her cork tightly.
- Turn it upside down and cool down.
Sweet cherry compote for the winter: second recipe
Ingredients for four liter jars:
- sweet cherry - 1, 5 kg;
- sugar - 370 g;
- water - 2, 2 l;
- citric acid - 2-3 g.
- Sort through the sweet cherry, remove the stalks. Wash well.
- Place the berries firmly in sterile 1-liter jars.
- In the enamel pan, boil the syrup by adding citric acid.
- Fill them with sweet cherry. Cover with lids.
- Place the jars in a wide pan filled with hot water. Sterilize 10 minutes from the moment of boiling water.
- Hermetically seal the covers.
- Cool upside down.
Sweet cherry compote for the winter without sterilization
Ingredients (per three-liter jar):
- sweet cherry - 500 g;
- sugar - 400 g;
- water - 2, 5 l;
- citric acid - pinch.
- Sort through the sweet cherry, remove the twigs, the tainted berries. Wash in cold water. Allow the fluid to drain.
- Prepare sterile jars. Put the berries in them.
- Fill the top with boiling water and cover with lids boiled in water. Leave for 15 minutes.
- After this pasteurization, close the jar with the lid with holes. Through the holes, pour the water into the pan. Add sugar and citric acid. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Fill them with berries to the level of the neck. It is desirable that the syrup overflowed a little.
- Immediately seal the caps tightly. Turn upside down. Wrap a blanket. In this position, allow the compote to cool completely.
Compote from pitted cherries for the winter
Ingredients for 2 half-liter jars:
- sweet cherry - 2 glasses;
- sugar - 4 tbsp. l .;
- water - 0, 5 l.
- Sort through the sweet cherry, tear off the stalk. Remove underripe, tainted berries. Wash in cold water. Place on a sieve or in a colander. Allow the fluid to drain.
- Using a special tool or a standard stud, remove the bones from the berries.
- Place the sweet cherry in sterile jars. Add sugar. Pour boiling water. Cover with clean lids.
- Put in a pan with hot water. Sterilize at 80 ° (the surface of the water should barely sway) 20 minutes after boiling.
- Seal the caps. Turn upside down. Leave to cool.
Sweet cherry and strawberry compote for the winter
Ingredients for two 3-liter jars:
- sweet cherry - 3 kg;
- strawberries - 0.5 kg;
- sugar - 700 g;
- citric acid - 2 tsp;
- water - 2 l;
- mint - 1 sprig.
- Sort out the sweet cherry, remove the bad berries. Wash under running water.
- Go through the strawberries. Rinse by immersing in a colander in a container of water. Break the sepals.
- Place in a clean, sterile jar first with a sweet cherry, then a strawberry. Put a mint leaf on top.
- Pour boiling water. Cover and leave for 15 minutes.
- Close the jar with a special lid with holes, pour the water into the pan. Put the sugar. Cook the syrup by adding citric acid.
- Fill them with berries. Immediately cork.
- Turn upside down. Wrap a blanket. Leave to cool.
Mistress to note
Cherry bones, like cherries, contain amygdalin glycoside. Under the influence of water, it decomposes, and hydrocyanic acid is formed, which is very toxic. Therefore, compote of sweet cherry with stones is stored no more than one year. And, of course, do not chew on the bones.
Store sweet cherry compote in a dark cool place.