When it comes to such a recipe as a goose with apples, I immediately recall a cartoon about Niels and his friend - Goose Martin, whom the hostess planned to fry and serve to the table, it seems, even with apples.
Most often the goose is baked for Christmas. This bird is the culinary symbol of a bright holiday.
But it does not mean at all that it is necessary to wait for this particular celebration to bake a goose. If there is a desire, and most importantly, the goose itself, then you can roll up your sleeves to begin sacred actions right now. Otherwise, you will not call a fascinating, albeit a long process, as a result of which a magnificent and tasty dish is born - a goose baked with apples.
When buying a goose, you need to imagine the volume of your oven, because it may happen that the bird refuses to fit in it. Then cooking conceived dishes will be under threat.
If the goose is fattened at a private farmstead, it will most likely be large and well-fed.
- If the goose has already been plucked, you will only have to remove the remains of feathers (hemp) and fine hairs (down). To do this, rub the goose with flour, and then scorch well on all sides over the gas burner. If you have an electric stove, then this can be done with a blowtorch. Believe me, this step should not be missed, as it will be very unpleasant to find in your plate a portion of meat with a crispy crust, from which stick out the remains of feathers or fluff.
- Wash the scorched goose thoroughly in several waters, then blot well with a paper towel.
- Remove the entrails (if they have not been removed before). Make sure that the gallbladder does not accidentally crush, otherwise the meat will be irrevocably damaged. Because bile, though washed off, but its corrosive quinch taste remains on the meat almost completely.
- Then you need to prepare the carcass for baking. Neck the carcass bare, collecting skin accordion, chop it off at the base. Now the skin can be stitched so that fat and juice will not leak out during baking.
- Next in line will be the wings. Chop them up to the first fold.
- Then cut the legs to the knee joint.
- If the goose is over-fed, then, if possible, remove layers of fat in the lower part of the carcass, as well as inside the goose itself.
The goose is a large bird. And in the inept hands of the hostess his meat can turn out to be harsh and unprotected. Therefore, it is recommended to pre-pickle the goose carcass, thereby making the meat more malleable, which means that the cooking time will be significantly reduced. Marinate goose can be dry and wet.
- For the dry method, rub the inside and outside of the goose with a mixture of salt, pepper and spicy herbs (your choice). Wrap the goose prepared in this way in food film and put it in the fridge for 1-2 days. If the dish is cooked in the cold season, then the carcass can be taken out on the balcony or in the canopy.
- For wet pickling, first cook the marinade. Its composition can be any. Most often, for this purpose, water acidified with vinegar is used, in which pepper, garlic, cumin, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf are added. Instead of vinegar, you can use white wine diluted with water.
- A good marinade is made from a mixture of soy sauce, honey, vegetable oil, garlic and herbs. Spices add piquancy to poultry meat, honey makes the crust crisp and crispy, and soy sauce is a good meat softener.
Dip the carcass in the selected marinade and just as in the first case, leave for 1-2 days. To marinate meat from all sides, turn it over several times throughout the time.
Remove the goose prepared in this way from the marinade and leave it on the table at room temperature for at least half an hour. During this time, the surface of the carcass will dry out, which will allow you to get a ruddy crispy crust during baking.
By the way, some housewives recommend, before sending the goose into the oven, to make shallow parallel cuts on the skin. This simple method will allow excess fat to be easily melted and make the skin more subtle, which means that it can be baked well.
Goose can be stuffed with anything: porridge, potatoes, cabbage, but the most delicious, it turns out it is with apples.
- Use apples of sweet and sour varieties. The fruits must be ripe, but still firm. Then, in the process of baking, they will not soften and turn into mashed potatoes.
- If the apples are small and not wormy, they can be laid in the carcass as a whole. Cut large apples into several wide slices, immediately removing the core.
- The filling can be slightly sweet, slightly sour or spicy. It all depends on what ingredients you mix apples with. Most often, parsley, cilantro seeds, black pepper, cranberries, and garlic are added to apples. The filling will turn out with a richer taste, if you add a quince to the apples.
- To prevent filling during baking, the hole should be stabbed with toothpicks, skewers, or sewn with harsh white threads.
- Wings and legs should be tied, pressed to the body with the help of twine. Then the carcass will become more compact, and the juice from the tips of the wings will not drip to the bottom of the oven.
Baking a goose with apples
- The goose is placed on a baking pan, back down.
- The roasting tank must be deep, as the carcass will release a large amount of fat in the cooking process and it can overflow.
- If the goose is fat, you can put it on the grill and bake on it. Then under a grid surely place a baking sheet with water. In the process of baking, the water will evaporate, creating more moisture in the oven. It will not let the meat dry, and the goose will turn out juicy. Also, the water will not allow the fat to drip onto the pan, and there will be no child in the kitchen.
- The baking tray with the goose should be placed in a well-heated oven, the temperature in which should be between 200-220 ° in order for the carcass to warm as quickly as possible. After 15-25 minutes, the temperature should be reduced to 180 ° and continue baking.
- The preparation time of a goose depends on its mass. Mistress experienced by found that each kilogram of weight takes about 50 minutes. That is, if the weight of the carcass is 2, 5 kg, then it should be baked for at least 2, 5 hours. So that during this time the upper part of the carcass is not charred, it is recommended to cover it with foil.
- If your oven gets too hot, you can bake the goose in foil. It will not allow the goose to overheat and dry out. But in this case, you need half an hour before the end of the cooking foil to open, so that the goose is covered with an appetizing crust.
And now - a few recipes.
Goose baked with apples in the oven: a simple recipe
Caloric content of the dish: 13245 kcal, per 100 g: 320 kcal.
- goose - 1 pc .;
- apples - 1 kg;
- sugar - 100 g;
- young parsley - 2-3 sprigs.
Method of preparation
- Scorch the young carcass of the goose, wash it, dry it with a paper towel.
- Rub the salt inside and out. Tie the legs and wings with a string.
- Peel half of the apples, cut into thick slices. Fill them with the inside of the goose. You will need the rest of the apples a little later. Sew up a hole or thread a toothpick.
- Place the goose on the baking sheet, cover the breast with a piece of foil. Put in the oven. Bake 2, 5-3 hours.
- When the goose reddens, pour 100-150 ml of hot water onto the pan. From time to time, water the goose with oily fat mixed with water.
- Remove the cooked bird from the oven.
- Place the remaining apples on a clean baking sheet, sprinkle with sugar and bake at a high temperature.
- Place the goose on the dish, remove the strings. Put baked apples around the carcass, sprinkle the dish with greens.
Goose baked with apples in the oven with sour cream
Caloric content of the dish: 13150 kcal, per 100 g: 295 kcal.
- goose - 1 pc .;
- sour cream - 150 g;
- apples - 1, 3 kg;
- ground cilantro (coriander) - 3 g;
- ground black pepper;
Method of preparation
- Grate the plucked, gutted and scorched goose from the inside and outside with a mixture of salt, pepper and cilantro. Refrigerate for a few hours.
- Grease the carcass from all sides with sour cream.
- Peel the apples, cut into thick slices. Place inside the bird. Sew a hard thread or pin up with toothpicks.
- Place the goose breast up on a baking tray. Pour 120-150 ml of water. Put in a well preheated oven. After half an hour, reduce the temperature to 180 °, otherwise the carcass on top will burn. Periodically water it with water from the pan. Bake the bird for about three hours.
- Put the finished goose on the dish, remove the strings. Serve as a whole carcass or cut into portions, spread them out on a platter in the shape of a goose. Spread the baked apples around the poultry. Sprinkle with chopped greens.
Goose baked with apples in the oven with garlic
Caloric content of the dish: 12829 kcal, per 100 g: 335 kcal.
- goose - 1 pc .;
- garlic - 3 cloves;
- apples - 0, 8 kg;
- black pepper;
- dried thyme - pinch;
- dried marjoram - 0, 3 tsp;
- lemon juice - 1 tbsp. l .;
- vegetable oil - 1 tbsp. l
Method of preparation
- Scorch goose, wash, dry.
- Prepare the marinade by mixing salt, pepper, half of the herbs and oil in a bowl. Let it brew for 20 minutes.
- Rub the goose with this mixture from all sides, as well as from the inside.
- Cut the washed apples into slices to remove the core. Combine with chopped garlic and the remaining herbs. Fill the inside of the goose with stuffing. Sew a hole. Tie goose legs and wings with a twine or hard thread.
- Take two long sheets of foil, criss-cross on a baking sheet. Put a goose on them. Pack well. If necessary, use additional sheets of foil.
- Put the pan with the goose in the oven heated to 200 degrees. Bake for about three hours. Then unfold the foil, continue roasting for about half an hour: until the appetizing crust appears on the goose.
- Put the finished goose on a dish or clean pan covered with foil. Remove the thread. Remove the apples from the abdomen, beautifully lay around the bird.
Video: Goose in the Oven with Apples - Recipe Collection
So that the wings and the stump of the legs are not charred during a long stay in the oven, wrap them in advance with foil.
The carcass can be baked in the sleeve. As in foil, the goose will be cooked in its own juice, so its meat will turn out soft and tender. The only minus: fat, melted from the goose, will remain in the sleeve.
For marinating, use marinade made from soy sauce, honey and spices, such as curry, ginger, coriander.
Soy sauce can be replaced with mustard. It will not only improve the taste of meat, but also significantly soften it.