Turkish delight is one of the most popular eastern sweets. Admirers of this delicacy argue that it is useful. There is a grain of truth in this: most often, the composition of the treat includes nuts containing many useful substances, as well as pieces of dried fruit, the benefit of which no one denies. However, nutritionists do not support the idea of including this high-calorie dessert in the daily diet. Obviously, the huge content of sugar and starch in Turkish Delight makes it a potentially dangerous product. But if overweight is not your problem and you do not suffer from diabetes, then from time to time you can indulge yourself with this sweetness.
Traditional Turkish Delight recipes do not contain animal products, including gelatin, so you can eat this dessert in the post. It is also suitable for a vegetarian table. Buying a delicacy in the store, it is not always possible to be sure that there are no artificial additives and gelatin in its composition. The most safe for health can be considered Turkish Delight, made at home. The process of cooking this oriental delicacy has certain subtleties, but, having gained patience and carefully following the instructions, even an aspiring cook will cope with the task.
The simple composition of Turkish Delight creates a deceptive impression: it seems that it is also easy to cook. In fact, in order to get the product of the desired consistency, sometimes you have to spend a lot of products, until you can learn to understand when the starch mass and molasses reach readiness. If you digest or donate them, the treat is too soft or, on the contrary, too dense. Knowing a few moments will help to reduce the number of unsuccessful experiments to a minimum or even to zero.
- Molasses is boiled in water or juice. It is better to start with cooking it in water. It is important to adhere to the proportions indicated in the recipe. Syrup is cooked until it gets a delicate caramel-golden hue.
- The starch mass is boiled until it begins to become transparent.
- If you are cooking Turkish delight with nuts, they must first be peeled and dried. Some recipes provide for their grinding. To clean the nuts from the husk, they are poured twice with boiling water, left for 10 minutes, washed with cold water. After such procedures, the husk is removed easily. Peeled nuts are roasted in a dry frying pan or in the oven for 5-10 minutes, stirring them periodically. Grind nuts should be a knife, as the pieces should not be small.
- Chopped or whole nuts, candied fruits are mixed into the finished starch-sugar mixture, then it is laid out in a mold and cooled. To make the treat easier to remove from the mold, it is pre-wrapped with cling film. For reliability, the film can be coated with a thin layer of vegetable oil.
- For flavor and aroma, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon and other spices are often added to the base mixture for Turkish delight.
The frozen Turkish delight is cut into cubes and rolled in a mixture of starch and powdered sugar so that the delicacy does not stick to hands or stick together during storage. Instead of starch and powdered sugar or in addition to them, you can use nut chips or coconut chips to sprinkle Turkish delight.
Basic Turkish Delight Recipe
- sugar - 0, 3 kg;
- water - 0, 3 l;
- corn starch - 100 g;
- citric acid - 1 g;
- vanillin (optional) - 1 g;
- icing sugar - 50 g.
Method of preparation:
- Half of the starch indicated in the recipe is diluted with 200 ml of cold but boiled water. Stir. Put on a slow fire. Cook, stirring, until the mixture turns white at first, and then begins to brighten.
- In a separate container, cook molasses. To do this, mix the remaining water with sugar and heat until it becomes an appetizing golden color. The finished molasses turns out to be almost as thick as liquid honey, it smells faintly with caramel.
- Connect the molasses to the starch mass, add citric acid and vanillin to them.
- Boil the mixture, stirring constantly, until the mixing process becomes difficult.
- Cover the form with cling film, pour a thick mixture into it, level it with a spatula.
- Cover the top with cling film, put it in the fridge.
- After 6-8 hours (not earlier), sprinkle Turkish delight with a mixture of powdered sugar and starch. Pour the same mixture onto the board, turn Turkish turkish tea over it, remove the form and film. Sprinkle the treat with the starch-sugar mixture on the other side. Cut into cubes, dip their sides in a dry mixture, put them on a dish.
Only after all the described manipulations are performed, Turkish Delight can be served on the table. Especially well he approaches to tea.
Turkish delight with hazelnuts
- sugar - 0, 4 kg;
- water - 0, 4 l, including 100 ml for syrup, 0, 3 l for starch mass;
- corn starch - 110 g, including 75 g for starch mass, 35 g for dressing;
- lemon juice - 40 ml;
- hazelnuts - 100 g;
- vanillin - 1 g;
- icing sugar - 50 g.
Method of preparation:
- Pour the nuts on a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 200 degrees, put a pan with hazelnuts in it. Roast them for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Allow the nuts to cool; remove the husks from them.
- Pour 100 ml of water into a saucepan, add sugar, pour a spoonful of lemon juice and mix.
- Put the pan on a slow fire. While stirring, dissolve the sugar. Boil the syrup to such a state that it hardens after being placed in cold water. Put it in a glass with cold water with a small spoon. If the syrup is boiled over low heat, it will turn out light, with a barely noticeable golden hue. If you cook it on medium heat, it will turn out darker, like caramel. On medium heat, the syrup will get to the desired state in about 5 minutes, on slow it will have to be cooked twice as long.
- Remove the prepared syrup from the heat and temporarily set aside.
- Starch in the amount of 75 g is placed in a clean pan, cover it with the remaining water, mix. Add a spoonful of lemon juice (20 ml).
- Boil the starch mixture to a translucent hue. Starch mass can only be cooked over low heat, stirring constantly. The process of preparation of the starch composition of the desired consistency takes about 20 minutes.
- Whip the starch mass with a whisk, pour the caramel into it. Mix well.
- Boil the resulting thick mixture over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add vanilla, mix.
- Enter the nuts and mix again.
- Rectangle cover with cling film. The film itself does not hurt to grease with vegetable oil, but this is not mandatory.
- Pour the sweet mass into the prepared form.
- Put the Turkish delight in the refrigerator until it is completely set. It will happen no earlier than 6 hours.
- The frozen Turkish delight is removed from the mold, cut into cubes.
- Mix the remaining starch with powdered sugar, roll the sweet cubes in this mixture.
Put the dessert in a bowl and serve it with tea.
According to the proposed recipe, Turkish Delight can be prepared not only with hazelnuts, but also with other nuts. Often use cashews, almonds, pistachios.
Delight of pink petals
- corn starch - 150 g;
- granulated sugar - 0, 2 kg;
- icing sugar - 50 g;
- water - 0, 4 l;
- lemon peel - 10 g;
- lemon juice - 20 ml;
- rose petal jam - 60 ml;
- dried rose petals (optional for serving) - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Pour a glass of water into the pan, bring it to a boil, reduce the heat.
- Pour into boiling water. Stir until dissolved.
- Add lemon zest and juice, boil syrup for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the jam, stir. Continue to boil the syrup for another 3-4 minutes, until it becomes caramelized.
- Dissolve 100 g of starch in the remaining water.
- While stirring the syrup, pour starch into it in a thin stream.
- Boil the mixture to the desired thickness.
- Pour the sweet mass into the clouded food film.
- Put the form in the refrigerator, leave for 6-8 hours.
- Dice the delicacy, dip all sides into a mixture of powdered sugar and the remaining starch.
Putting Turkish delight on a dish, sprinkle it with rose petals.
Creamy Turkish Delight
- sugar - 140 g;
- semolina - 140 g;
- fatty cream (for whipping) - 80 ml;
- milk - 0, 4 l;
- water - 0, 2 l;
- almonds or other nuts - 100 g;
- coconut chips - 100 g.
Method of preparation:
- Mix milk with water, heat it.
- In a boiling mixture add a thin stream of semolina, add sugar.
- Cook the mixture, stirring until it thickens.
- Pour the almonds with boiling water, after 10 minutes, fold them into a colander, rinse with cold water, peel. Fry in a dry skillet for 5 minutes. Cool, crush with a knife.
- Pour almonds in thick porridge, mix.
- Cool porridge to room temperature.
- Whip the cream, mix with the manna mass.
- Store for an hour in the fridge.
- Scoop up the resulting dense mixture with a spoon, form balls of it, roll them in coconut chips, transfer them to a dish.
Turkish delight cooked according to this recipe is very different from the traditional one, but it also turns out tasty.
Eastern sweets are popular all over the world. These desserts include Turkish Delight, whose birthplace is Turkey. Previously, the manufacture of this delicacy was considered art, but today every hostess can master it. The composition of Turkish Delight is simple, you just need to know the subtleties of its manufacturing technology.