Bread, and even more so dried biscuits, waffles, biscuit cakes and other sweets during the Soviet times was not accepted. The pastry chefs invented a unique cake, the recipe of which made it possible to prevent another baking from the abyss: it could be turned into an exquisite delicacy. The hostesses vividly picked up the idea, because it was much easier to persuade the children to eat cake for breakfast than regular cookies and especially crackers. Cake “Potato” was sold in school and factory canteens, in cafeteries of grocery stores and in general in any place where this kind of confectionery was sold. The dessert recipe was found in the notebook of almost any of our compatriots, and the first culinary experiment in cooking the “Potato” cake from cookies was in school years. He was almost always successful, because to prepare a dessert for most recipes does not require any kitchen appliances, even stoves.
The “Potato” cake is made from cookies very easily, even a novice confectioner can handle the task. However, without knowing some of the points, the result can be disastrous.
- Cookies, which are the basis of the “Potato” cake, should be ground into small pieces. The most convenient way to do this is by breaking the cookie and grinding it with a blender. Another option is to crush the biscuits in a mortar, the third - to rub. If you are not sure that the cookies have been completely ground, you can sift the crumb to find larger pieces. They will have to grind separately and combine with the rest of the mass. If this is not done, large pieces of cookies, falling into the total mass, will spoil the pleasure of eating dessert.
- The most expensive ingredient of the “dough” from which the “Potato” cake is molded is butter. It may be tempting to replace it with margarine or an inexpensive, but more palatable spread. In Soviet times, some of the economy of the mistress did. Yes, and modern pastry chefs often replace part of the butter with a spread in order to reduce the cost of confectionery products and make them available to the mainstream consumer. The use of spread or margarine in the manufacture of cake “Potato” at home is undesirable, still homemade sweets should be different from the store for the better. Replace butter with margarine is not worth it, but the fat content of butter does not matter.
- The butter for cooking the “Potato” cake should be taken out of the fridge in advance so that it can be softened by the time the dessert is made.
- To improve the taste and flavor of the treat, you can add rum, brandy, liqueur to it. Then the taste of the cake will get more noble notes.
- The ingredients that make up “Potatoes” are mixed by hand, as if kneading dough. The cakes themselves are also shaped by hand. It is advisable to try to make cakes have the same shape and size. You can make them round, oval, resembling bars or a vegetable, after which they are named.
- Finished products are rolled in a wafer crumb or cocoa powder. For reliability, it is desirable to do this twice: immediately after preparation and after an hour. Additionally, make “eyes” of butter cream, decorate cakes with nuts, coconut chips, pieces of chocolate and dried fruit.
- Nuts and dried fruits can also be laid inside products when they are formed.
Before serving, the cake should be cooled in the refrigerator for an hour, or better, even for 2-3 hours.
Classic Potato Cake Recipe
- cookies (“Jubilee” or “Baked milk”) - 0, 3 kg;
- milk - 0, 2 l;
- cognac (optional) - 20 ml;
- butter - 100 g;
- waffles (“Artek” or similar) - 1-2 pcs .;
- cocoa powder - 50 g.
- Remove the butter from the refrigerator, cut it into small pieces, put it in a bowl, leave it for a while to soften it.
- Break and crush the cookies in a mortar to the state of small chips. If you have a blender, you can resort to using this device.
- Heat the milk a little, pour it into the butter. Stir well.
- Pour the cocoa powder to the crumbs from the cookies, mix. Place the cocoa bread in a bowl or similar container.
- Pour about half of the mixture of butter and milk to crumb, mix with a spoon, then knead with your hands. Pour in brandy.
- By adding 1-2 spoons of milk and butter, turn the crumb into a viscous mass that is able to keep its shape well.
- Separating a tablespoon of mass, form from it oval figures resembling potato tubers.
- Grind waffles on a grater or using a blender. Roll the cakes in a wafer crumb, put them on a plate and put in the refrigerator.
It will be possible to remove the sample after 1-2 hours. You will have enough time to brew tea or even make cocoa.
Cake "Potato" from biscuits with condensed milk
- sweet cookies of any kind - 0, 9 kg;
- butter - 0, 25 kg;
- condensed milk - 0.2 l;
- sugar (preferably fine) - 130 g;
- cocoa powder - 65 g (not counting the consumption of sprinkling).
- Remove the butter from the refrigerator. Wait until it becomes soft, place it in a bowl for beating.
- Beat the butter with a whisk or mixer.
- Add sugar. Beat until the mass resembles cream.
- Add condensed milk to the butter, whisk them together.
- Crush cookies to the state of crumbs in any way you like, mix with cocoa.
- Put a couple of spoonfuls of cream aside - you will need it to decorate the finished cakes.
- Combine the remaining cream with the crumb, mix well with a spoon. The mixer cannot be used at this stage, otherwise the mass will be too liquid.
- Remove the resulting mass for half an hour in the fridge to make it easier to work with.
- Form small bars from the mass, roll in cocoa, put it on a dish covered with foil and then put it in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Dip the cocoa cakes again. Put the cream in a pastry bag and put on each cake three “peepholes”.
- Return the cakes to the fridge and wait another hour.
This version of the “Potato” cake looks more elegant, before it was considered festive. Often this dessert was complemented with nuts.
Cake “Potato” made from cookies with nuts
- cookies - 0.75 kg;
- walnuts - 0, 2-0, 25 g;
- cocoa powder - 100 g;
- butter - 180 g;
- condensed milk - 0, 2 l.
- Cook or shred the cookies with a blender. It should turn out fine baby.
- Mix the crumbs with cocoa powder.
- Approximately 100 grams of nuts chop with a blender or other method. They can be kneaded, crushed, rolled on a rolling pin.
- Mix chopped nuts with biscuit crumbs.
- Cut the butter into chunks, place in a small saucepan and melt in a water bath or slow fire.
- Pour melted butter into the container with crumb, mix.
- Pour in condensed milk, mix everything together, getting a homogeneous mass. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Grabbing a mass with a tablespoon and laying it on a board covered with foil to form figures resembling cones. Count their number.
- Break the kernels into quarters, fill them with cakes.
- Chop up the remaining nuts, sprinkle the cakes with them.
- Put the pastries in the fridge for half an hour.
- Remove the cakes from the fridge, make nail scissors (the very tips of them) on the entire surface of the cakes. As a result, they must acquire a visual resemblance to pine cones.
- Return the board or tray of cakes to the fridge, cool them for another hour and a half.
Your guests and households will certainly appreciate not only the pleasant taste of cakes made according to this recipe, but also the originality of the serve.
Oatmeal “Potato” Cake
- oatmeal cookies - 100 g;
- “Buratino” candies or similar (bars) - 50 g;
- peanuts or other nuts - 50 g;
- honey - 40-60 ml;
- cognac - 40-60 ml;
- raisins or other dried fruits - 50 g;
- cocoa powder - 50 g;
- oatmeal - 20 g.
- Bars cut into small pieces. Smash cookies.
- Put them in a blender bowl, add crushed nuts, oatmeal and cocoa. Turn on the device and turn the contents of its bowl into a homogeneous mixture.
- Separately, using a blender or meat grinder, chop the dried fruits.
- Add the fruit mass to the dry mixture, pour the melted honey and brandy into it. Knead the mixture with hands, moistening them if necessary.
- Roll the balls out of the resulting mass, put them on a baking sheet covered with parchment.
- Place the oven for 5 minutes in a preheated 200 degree oven.
- Cool it first at room temperature, then refrigerate for another hour.
According to this recipe, dessert is not only tasty, but also useful. It is worth taking note of supporters of healthy eating.
Cake “Potato” - a classic dessert, the recipe of which came to us from the Soviet times. Modern recipes allow you to make this delicacy of cookies not only tasty, but also useful.