What could be the best salted herring with boiled potatoes? There is no doubt that there is no one indifferent to this dish. However, to be sure that the “amazingly tasty” fish purchased in the store will not be salty, you can never. That is why we suggest you to cook a delicious herring by yourself.
- herring - 2 pcs .;
- water - 4 l;
- vinegar (9%) - 5 tbsp. l .;
- bay leaf - 6 pcs .;
- sugar - to taste;
- salt to taste;
- black pepper peas - to taste;
- mustard beans - to taste.
1. Carefully wash the herring. Prepare the remaining ingredients.
2. Thoroughly clean and gently gut the fish. Cut off the head.
3. Wash again.
4. Sprinkle the fish well with salt. Salt need not be regretted - it will not affect the taste.
5. Transfer the herring to a convenient container (for example, it can be a plastic food storage vessel or any other vessel). After that, send the fish in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
6. While the herring is soaked in salt, make a marinade. First of all, sprinkle pepper-peas and mustard seeds on a bandage or on a piece of gauze.
7. Fill the pan (preferably made of stainless steel) with water. Why should the pan be made of stainless steel? Firstly, because such dishes are not oxidized, which means that you can cook anything in it. Secondly, because it is quite easy to care for stainless steel dishes. Well, and thirdly, such dishes do not distort the taste of the products prepared in it.
8. Put the pot of water on the fire. Pour there 1 tbsp. l salt. Also, put pepper and mustard tied in a gauze knot into the water. In addition, if desired, you can pour vinegar here and add a little sugar.
9. Add bay leaf.
10. Cook the marinade for at least 5 minutes. During cooking, the water in the pan should acquire a characteristic brown color.
11. Leave the marinade to cool and you can still do any other business. After 6 hours, pour the fish in half of the chilled marinade and send it back to the fridge. The rest of the marinade will be needed later.
12. After 3 hours, change the marinade. Leave the herring in the marinade for another 9 hours.
13. After the indicated time has elapsed, carefully separate the fish from the bones (at the same time, you can ask someone from your household to start cooking potatoes).
14. Slice the herring into pieces.
15. Transfer the fish to the dish. Garnish with onion rings and greens on top.