Sausage - the most popular of all finished meat products. It is loved by adults, children, young people and the elderly. Its popularity is explained very simply: the sausage is tasty, affordable and ready to eat. In addition, this product has a great variety.
At the heart of any sausage is the same component - minced meat, but then there is already a huge number of versions possible, depending on the processing method, the percentage and quality of spices and other additives. By the way, minced meat also comes from a variety of meats - from ordinary pork and beef to turkey and horse meat.
But the type of sausage primarily depends on the type of processing, and accordingly, the timing and other features of its storage, which every consumer needs to know and follow, so that this tasty food does not cause serious poisoning.
General rules for the storage of all types of sausages
- Sausages of any variety are best stored in the refrigerator, especially in the apartment.
- Even when stored in a refrigerator, the sausage will be properly freed from plastic packaging, which will lead to premature deterioration of the product.
- It will be correct to pack the sausage product in parchment or food paper.
- It is possible to extend the life of an already started sausage by smearing it with vegetable oil or lemon and covering it with food film.
- It is better to pack sliced sausages in food paper or foil, but you can also freeze them, which practically does not affect their taste.
- It is noteworthy that the period of storage of sausage in natural skin is much less than the same product in an artificial casing.
Storage characteristics of hams and cooked sausages
- These types of sausages retain their freshness for no more than 4 days, provided that the temperature in the refrigerator does not rise above + 8 ° C. The exception is boiled-smoked sausage, which can be usable in a couple of weeks.
- Before putting the sausage into storage, it is better to completely pack it in foil, then its humidity will remain at the original level.
- It is recommended to grease the cut edge of the sausage with grease in order to protect it from weathering.
- A great option for the storage of cooked sausages is vacuum containers, where, in the absence of air, favorable conditions for the development of various pathogens disappear.
Features storage homemade sausages
- A homemade sausage can keep its freshness in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- If you want to extend the shelf life of a household product to several months, you can put it in glass or ceramic containers and pour it with melted pork lard. For fat, you can put bay leaf or other spices for your fragrance. Store so packed sausage in a cool pantry or in a refrigerator.
- Another very convenient and reliable option for long-term storage is the freezing of semi-cooked homemade sausages.
Features of storage of smoked and dry-cured sausages
- The best conditions for storing smoked sausages are a cool dark room with a humidity of 75-80% and good ventilation.
- The optimum temperature in such a storage should be maintained in the range from 5 ° C to 10 ° C.
- Smoked sausages when stored indoors are very sensitive to drafts and changes in air humidity.
- Hot-smoked sausages are well kept at a temperature of 5-6 ° C. In such conditions they can lie for up to three weeks.
- The shelf life of cold-smoked sausages at a temperature of + 15 ° C is 2-3 weeks, and it doubles in the refrigerator.
- Raw smoked sausages in undamaged packaging are beautifully stored at 12-15 ° C for up to four months in rooms with a humidity of 75-80%, but in sliced form they will remain for less than a month, and in a refrigerator, that is, at a temperature of 0 ° C to + 8 ° C.
- Dry-cured sausages have the longest shelf life: in a cool room or in the refrigerator, they persist for up to six months and even at room temperature do not lose their consumer properties for up to 4 weeks.