Now there are a lot of canned corn on the store shelves, which can be added to soup, main dishes, pastries and salads.
But there is nothing better than freshly cooked corn on the cob. It emanates such a fragrance!
But it turns out that not everyone can cook it. How to choose for cooking.
The fact is that you can not cook any cob.
After all, corn is of several subspecies: starchy, bursting, tooth-like, sugar, siliceous.
For cooking use sweetcorn. Despite the fact that it is a grain crop, it is the table varieties to which this corn belongs, equate to vegetable plants.
To cook the corn, do not wait until it is fully ripe. It is removed when the cobs are in the milky-wax ripeness phase. At this time, the kernels of corn are very soft, juicy, as if filled with milk.
It is then that the corn grain is the most useful and is a valuable food product.
- The corn kernels contain B vitamins, carotene, vitamin E, and a large number of trace elements: magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, iron, potassium.
- Almost all amino acids that the body needs are present.
- For better digestion of proteins that are in corn, it is recommended to use it in combination with milk, cheese and other dairy products. They enrich the dishes of corn important amino acids for the body: tryptophan, lysine, methionine.
- Dishes from corn of milk ripeness are not only recommended to healthy people, but also used in dietary foods, as they improve digestion.
How to choose corn for cooking
- Prepared for boiling cob should not be overripe. After all, the hardened grain will remain the same after cooking. It should be soft and be in the stage of milky-wax ripeness. The color of the corn is milky white or slightly yellow. If the grains have a bright yellow color, then they are already overripe, and therefore hard.
- Grain shape also matters. The kernels of the corn of milky ripeness are dense and rounded. Fully ripened grains have dents that indicate that the corn has over-ripened and is not very suitable for cooking.
- The young corn leaves are green and bright. They fit snugly to the cob. The old corn leaves are already dried and hard.
- The cobs for cooking are selected with the maximum number of grains that must not be eaten away by insects or disease.
- It is not recommended to buy corn without leaves. This may indicate that the maize was subject to the onslaught of pests or she overslept.
- Plucked corncobs should not be stored. Firstly, the sugars that are in the grain, from long storage, begin to turn into starch. And secondly, the ripened grain dries out and becomes unsuitable for cooking, and a little underripe can rot.
How to prepare corn for cooking
- Before cooking, remove the stem from the cob so that the leaves do not fall off. Because corn is cooked with them.
- The ear is well washed under running cold water.
How to cook corn in a pan
- Corn is prepared as described above.
- Put in a wide pan.
- Fill with cold water so that it covers the cob.
- Put on the stove and bring to a boil.
- The fire is reduced and, with a low boil, boil the cobs until ready. Cooking time (from 20 minutes to 1, 5 hours) depends on the variety and degree of ripeness of the corn. Well cooked grains are soft and have a pleasant taste and smell.
- At the end of the cooking salt. If you salt at first, the grains can remain very hard for a long time.
- Turn off the heat and leave the cobs in the liquid for 20-30 minutes.
- Get out of the water.
- The boiled corn is freed from the leaves and spread on a plate. Separately served a piece of butter.
- Prepared corn is boiled together with the leaves at a low boil until cooked.
- At the end of the cooking salt.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove and keep the corn in water for some time.
- Take the cob out of the liquid and release it from the leaves.
- Separate the kernels.
- Spread them on a plate and pour over butter or milk sauce.
- If the grains are needed for salad or vinaigrette, they are poured into a colander, washed in cold water and wait until it is completely drained.
Method 3. Corn in milk
- Corn of milky ripeness is freed from the leaves and washed well under cold running water.
- Grains are separated from the cobs.
- Pour them with hot milk and boil until cooked (200 ml of milk are taken for 150 g of grains).
- 10 g butter mixed with 8 g flour.
- Combine with milk and corn and, while stirring, boil. Seasoned with salt.
How else is corn being cooked
Many hostesses corn is cleared of leaves and already in this form it is boiled.
- Take a wide saucepan and put leaves from cobs on the bottom.
- In corn, the stalk and the top are cut, which most often are grain-free or dried. If the cobs are very long, they are cut in half.
- Fold in the pan and top with the remaining leaves. This will help cobs not to surface.
- Fill with water. It is better to use boiling water.
- Put on the stove and at maximum heating bring to a boil.
- Fire is reduced and the corn is boiled until soft.
- Remove the pan from the stove, and leave the cobs in water for another 15-20 minutes.
- Spread the corn on a plate and sprinkle with salt.
How to cook corn in a slow cooker
- Corn is cut off the stem and free it from leaves. Cut and the tip without grains.
- Wash well in cold water.
- If the cobs are large, cut them in half.
- Some leaves are placed on the bottom of the bowl, and corn is placed on them.
- So much water is poured so that it covers the cobs of 3-4 cm. Cover them with leaves. Corn is not boiled in large batches in order to avoid splashing water over the edge of the bowl.
- Close the multicooker and turn on the “Steaming” function.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Leave the cobs for 20 minutes in water, and then spread on a plate.
How to cook corn in a microwave
- Peeled and washed corn is placed in a strong plastic bag or baking sleeve and tied. In several places make punctures with a needle to release steam.
- Place the packed cobs in the microwave.
- At high power, cook 8-10 minutes.
- Cleared of leaves and washed corn is placed in a pan suitable for a microwave.
- Pour boiling water so that it only slightly covered the ears.
- Put in the oven and at maximum power cook 35-45 minutes until soft. At the same time make sure that the water does not boil, and it is replenished in time.
- At the end of the cooking salt.
How to cook corn in a double boiler
- Cleaned and washed corn is placed on oiled bowls.
- Installed on a double boiler with a full tank of water.
- Cook the cobs for 20-30 minutes until cooked.
- Spread on plates and sprinkle with salt.
How to cook corn in the oven
- Cobs, peeled from the leaves and well washed, put in a deep container, for example for baking.
- Pour boiling water over it so that it covers them completely.
- So that the top of the corn is not roasted and not dried, the dishes are covered with foil.
- Put in the oven, heated to 120 degrees.
- Cook until soft about 40 minutes. Pour boiling water if the water boiled away.
- Prepared corn sprinkled with salt and served with butter.
Corn boiled in any of these ways is served hot, because it is then that it fully reveals its aroma and excellent taste.