The cooling and tonic aroma of peppermint (from the Latin. Méntha piperíta) is familiar to many. Mint is considered one of the oldest healing plants. It was actively used both in western and eastern folk medicine. The dried stems of this plant were found even in the tombs of the pharaohs of ancient Egypt. In other words, the mint has long embraced people, and so much so that it is still used in various fields. In the modern world, peppermint is used most often in the form of an essential oil. Ether completely retains all the advantages inherent in raw materials, so it is just as effective as the plant itself.
How mint oil is mined and how it is useful
Extraction of mint essential oil is carried out in a way that is customary for all aromatic oils: the plant is subjected to steam distillation, and almost all of its above-ground portion is processed. As a result of steam distillation, a phyto-essence with a yellowish or light greenish tint and a rich invigorating smell is formed with a liquid consistency.
Peppermint essential oil is inherent in a large number of therapeutic properties that are determined by the active substances in its composition. Menthol, terpenoids, rutin, organic acids, flavonoids, tannins, minerals - all these biocomponents make peppermint oil an indispensable tool for solving various problems.
- Essential oil of mint, like hundreds of years ago, is used to normalize the activity of the gastrointestinal tract. It soothes the digestive tract muscles; activates the production of bile, which is involved in the breakdown of fats and the promotion of food through the intestines; relieves spasms and improves the condition of dyspepsia, that is, indigestion and flatulence. Mint aroma oil is also effective in short-term therapy for irritable bowel syndrome.
- Experts note the beneficial effect of peppermint ether on the nervous system. Due to its vasodilating properties, it relieves headaches. Also due to this, it facilitates epileptic seizures, increases blood pressure. It is recommended to use this phyto-essence in case of mental fatigue. It improves performance, relieves stress and nervousness. In other words, it returns clarity to the mind and removes emotional exhaustion.
- Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effect makes peppermint oil an excellent way to fight colds and flu. It helps to cope with nasal congestion; relieves sore throat; reduces the temperature; helps to eliminate sputum; inhibits reproduction of microorganisms that provoke infection.
- The analgesic and anesthetic effect of mint essential oil helps in the fight against joint, muscle and tooth pain, as well as pain during menstruation.
- The mint essence is great for treating sunburn. Ether cools the skin, relieves pain, and significantly reduces its swelling.
- Peppermint essential oil is a proven remedy to give freshness to breathing, as it prevents the growth of bacteria and fungi, which are the main cause of bad breath.
- It is not uncommon for mint essential oil to cope with asthenic disorders, that is, with motion sickness, dizziness and nausea. Peppermint ether helps even with nausea caused by chemotherapy or surgery.
- The mint phyo-essence shows itself very well in the fight against parasites. It is used for the treatment of pediculosis, that is, the elimination of head lice. Also with its help, dogs get rid of fleas and ticks.
- The smell of peppermint oil repels insects, that is, it is a natural insecticide. More sensitive to it the mouse, which means that you can say goodbye to rodents in the house and at the dacha.
- Essential oil of mint is highly demanded in care of face skin, and it is useful for any skin type. Through this natural product, the protective functions of the skin are increased; inflammations, irritations and a vascular network, that is kuperoz are eliminated; smoothes the complexion. Plus, the ether helps fight dermatological diseases such as eczema and psoriasis. Moreover, peppermint oil can be used as a prevention of herpes on the lips.
- If you have problems with your hair, mint oil will help you too. He can cope with all the major problems with hair. It heals the hair follicles, thus helping them to produce strong hair rods; relieves dandruff and soothes itching and irritation provoked by it. In addition, it nourishes and moisturizes both the hair follicles and the hair itself.
Nuances of using peppermint oil
- Esters, despite their natural origin, are very potent products, since they contain a high concentration of biologically active substances. Therefore, before starting the application, you should do an allergotest, that is, lubricate a small area of skin on the wrist with a drop of the product and look at its reaction. If the epidermis has not changed within 1 hour, that is, it does not turn red and there is no irritation, there is no allergic reaction. By the way, for the same reason, essential oil is recommended to use in the proportions indicated in the recipe, otherwise you can cause respiratory distress, bronchospasm, burn and dizziness.
- For the preparation of cosmetic or medicinal products, use porcelain or glassware. Metal packaging is not suitable for this, because it can reduce the effectiveness of mixtures.
- If you use peppermint oil to improve the skin, pre-spend their cleansing and steaming.
- The use of mint oil formulations should not be disposable. They need to be used for one and a half months every few days. Only in this case, the results of treatment will be persistent.
- Peppermint essential oil, in addition to individual intolerance, has a number of other contraindications. It does not need to be used in procedures for children under 6 years of age, for people who are being treated with homeopathic medicines, because it neutralizes their effect. Also, mint essence cannot be used for a long time, and it is not recommended to use it in the evenings. All this can provoke nervous overexcitement and insomnia. And the last thing - peppermint oil should be used very carefully by the owners of sensitive skin.
Peppermint Oil: Methods of Use
The following recipe helps a great deal in improving the activity of the digestive system. Essential mint oil in the amount of 1 drop is mixed with a glass of warm water and a teaspoon of natural honey. Cooked means consumed before meals.
If you want to relieve your flu or cold and get better quickly, use peppermint oil for inhalation. Add a few drops of ether to a glass of warm boiled water and inhale its vapors for 5-7 minutes.
Through massage with the addition of peppermint oil, you can cope with pain in muscles and joints. To do this, you should prepare a mixture consisting of 5 drops of peppermint ether and a teaspoon of vegetable oil. Moringi oil, famous for its powerful anti-inflammatory action, is excellent. The resulting composition gently massage the painful places. If you mix 2-3 drops of ether with a teaspoon of jojoba oil, you get a healing mixture that helps with various types of headaches, including migraines. Just massage the oil substance of the temples, forehead and neck, and the pain will recede. Anyone who suffers from toothache, you must attach a cotton swab soaked with peppermint oil to the aching tooth. Literally in a few minutes the pain will no longer be so intense, and then it will subside altogether.
For flavoring the room in the aroma lamp, it is recommended to add 1 drop of essence per 5 square meters. If you use aromacolon, then 1-2 drops of mint ether are enough.
Taking the aroma bath will help relieve daytime fatigue and overcome stress. In a tablespoon of salt or honey dissolve aroma oil. After that, enter the formed mixture into a bath filled with warm water. Aromatherapy procedure experts advise to start with 4 drops of ether. Then the dosage can be increased to 7 drops.
Those who wish to rid their home of insects will be helped by this option of using peppermint essential oil. Soak cotton balls with a small amount of phytoesence (just a few drops). Spread them around the room, especially in the corners and cracks. With this trick you can get rid of cockroaches, ants and spiders. The latter does not tolerate the smell of mint.
Mask to strengthen hair
You will need:
- coconut oil - 4 tablespoons;
- liquid vitamin E - 1 tsp;
- butter moringi - 2 teaspoons;
- tea tree oil and mint oil - 4-5 drops each.
How to cook:
- Coconut butter melt, and then combine it with vitamin E in liquid form, vegetable and essential oils.
Use a mask to treat the skin and hair from root to tip. After holding it for about 30-40 minutes, wash your head with detergent. Thanks to the mixture the hair will become noticeably stronger and stronger. Also, they will cease to split and break. Moreover, this composition improves the functioning of the hair follicles, on which the quality of the hair shaft depends.
Face mask with anti-inflammatory effect
You will need:
- almond oil, grape seed oil - 1 tsp each;
- Peppermint essential oil - 2-3 drops.
How to cook:
- Bring vegetable oils to a warm state, and then mix with mint essence.
Lubricate with facial skin. You can apply it on the whole face, except for the eyelid area, or only on the places of acne eruptions. Once the third hour has passed, blot the masked skin with a paper towel. With this composition, it is possible to regulate the activity of the sebaceous glands, that is, to control sebaceous excretions. This avoids blockage of sebaceous ducts, due to which inflammations appear. Plus the mask accelerates the healing of acne.
Mint aroma oil is a natural remedy that deserves special attention. And the multiple ways of using it confirm that it must necessarily be in a home medicine chest.