Rhubarb has long been used in cooking. Its pleasant sourish taste, due to the presence of oxalic acid in the plant, allows you to make delicious compotes from it. There is hardly a person who would not try such a compote. But the fact that rhubarb stalks are also made of sweet and sour seasoning for meat dishes, including kebabs, is not known to everyone. Meanwhile, gourmets believe that rhubarb sauce fits well with meat. Therefore, it makes sense to learn how to do it at home.
Rhubarb is among the most affordable products, as it often grows wild and can be obtained without spending a single ruble. If all the housewives knew how easy it was to make a delicious sauce for meat, this seasoning would be much more popular. However, despite the simplicity of making rhubarb sauce, there are several subtleties that are better known before the start of the culinary process.
- The rhubarb stalks used to make the sauce are very hard. Without heat treatment, they will be impossible, even if it is hard to grind. Therefore, it is necessary to subject the rhubarb to heat treatment at one of the first stages of cooking. It can be boiled until soft, heated in a microwave, baked - the main thing is to make it soft. But even after that, it needs to be ground with a blender or rubbed through a sieve to make a tender mash.
- It is desirable to collect rhubarb at the beginning of the summer, better until the beginning of July, or at least until its midpoint. This is due to the fact that the older the plant, the more oxalic acid accumulates in it. So over time, rhubarb becomes too sour.
- If the rhubarb sauce is prepared according to the usual recipe, which does not involve conservation, it cannot be stored for a long time. Firstly, it will spoil, and secondly, it will become less tasty. Therefore, this refueling is not prepared for the future, usually counting on one day, the maximum - on two.
Rhubarb sauce can be used hot by sprinkling meat before serving, or cold, by placing it in a sauceboat. The sauce belongs to the class of sweet and sour seasoning for meat.
The usual recipe for rhubarb sauce
- scapes of rhubarb - 0.5 kg;
- flour - 20 g;
- butter - 20 g;
- sugar, salt, pepper - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Prepare the rhubarb by washing it off, peeling and boiling until soft in salted water. Wipe through a sieve.
- Mix rhubarb with sugar.
- Melt the butter and fry the flour on it.
- Put the rhubarb puree and fry for a few minutes.
- Cool slightly and stir in a blender so that the sauce has a uniform consistency.
If desired, pepper can be added to the sauce so that it has a slightly more piquant taste.
Spicy rhubarb sauce
- peanut of rhubarb - 0, 3 kg;
- balsamic vinegar (3 percent) - 0, 25 l;
- onions - 80 g;
- garlic - 5 cloves;
- salt - 5 g;
- sugar - 40 g;
- vegetable oil - 40 ml.
Method of preparation:
- Wash rhubarb, remove the upper layer of skin from the stalks. Cut the rest into small pieces and fold into a small saucepan. It is important that it is not aluminum, it is best to use enameled.
- Fill rhubarb with balsamic vinegar. If this is not, you can use wine or apple, diluting with clean water to the desired concentration.
- Set on fire and cook for a quarter of an hour, then let cool at room temperature.
- Peel the garlic and onion.
- Onion, cut into small cubes and fry until soft in oil, using half the amount of oil specified in the recipe.
- Drain the vinegar, in which rhubarb was cooked. Rhubarb itself wipe through a sieve.
- Put the rhubarb in the bowl of the blender, put the onion and garlic in the same place, add salt and sugar, pour in the remaining oil and chop everything together.
- Pour the puree into a clean skillet and stew, stirring so that the sauce does not burn, for 10 minutes.
Put the prepared sauce in the saucepan and cool it. You can also use it hot, watering their meat before serving.
Rhubarb sauce for the winter
Composition (2 liters):
- rhubarb stalks - 2 kg;
- oranges - 0, 5 kg;
- hot peppers - 2 pcs .;
- garlic - 10 cloves;
- stalks of garlic - 50 g;
- ground ginger - 5 g;
- salt - 5 g;
- sugar - 160 g;
- water - 0, 5 l;
- Apple Cider Vinegar (6%) - 150 ml.
Method of preparation:
- Rinse the rhubarb stalks in running water, dry and peel off the top layer using a peeler. Cut the plant stems into small cubes.
- Wash the pepper, remove the seeds from it, finely chop the flesh. If you do not like too hot spices, the amount of pepper can be reduced by half.
- Cut garlic cloves in thin plates. Chop the garlic arrows.
- Mix the rhubarb with garlic and pepper, place in a bowl. Pour sugar.
- Fill it all up with water and put it on the stove. After the water boils, boil the products for 5 minutes, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Temporarily remove the syrup from the stove.
- Wash and blot the oranges with a napkin. Squeeze the juice out of them, remove the bones from it, if they suddenly got there. Pour the juice into the bowl with the rest of the products.
- Rub the zest. Send a tablespoon of zest to the remaining ingredients, mix and leave for half an hour.
- Return to the stove, cook for 10 minutes and remove from the stove again. So in half an hour interval, cook the sauce 2-3 times.
- Add salt and ginger to the sauce, cook, stirring often, for an hour. During this time, the sauce will thicken well and significantly decrease in volume.
- Pour vinegar into the sauce, stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes, remove from heat and spread on hot sterilized jars. If you want a more delicate sauce, add the ingredients with a blender before adding the vinegar.
- Tightly close the jars with the sauce with metal lids, turn over and cover with a blanket. After they have cooled to room temperature, you can put them in the closet.
The rhubarb sauce prepared according to the above recipe can be stored at room temperature all winter.
Rhubarb sauce is an affordable and unusual seasoning for meat that has a sweet and sour taste. It can be sharp and more gentle. If desired, the sauce can be prepared for the winter.