Residents of Siberia treat cedar with respect, because cedar nuts are not only a storehouse of beneficial substances, but also an excellent remedy in the treatment of many diseases.
Useful properties of pine nuts
- Pine nuts are very fat. They contain up to 60% of oil, and also proteins, sugar, starch, cellulose, vitamin C.
- Tincture of nuts is used in the treatment of articular rheumatism, arthritis, gout.
- They also treat hemorrhoids with tinctures.
- Vegetable cream is prepared from the nuts. They improve the functioning of the thyroid gland, increase lactation in nursing mothers.
- Pine nuts increase immunity.
- Infusion of nuts helps with kidney disease, pulmonary tuberculosis, as well as nervous disorders, hypertension and atherosclerosis.
- Cedar is obtained from sap (balsam), which is used to produce turpentine and rosin.
- Cedar balsam - turpentine - has a bactericidal and epithelial property. He perfectly heals chronic ulcers.
But most often pine nuts are used as food forest delicacy. Cedar oil is extracted from them, the useful properties of which are no worse than the quality of olive.
Cake, which remains after cooking vegetable milk and cream, goes to the production of halva.
But to enjoy the excellent taste of nuts, you need to be able to choose them correctly.
How to choose pine nuts
- Nut harvesting takes place in September-October. It is at this time that they need to be bought, because, due to the large amount of butter, pine nuts cannot be stored for long. And if they are in adverse conditions, they quickly become rancid and moldy.
- Nuts should be slightly moist to the touch and dense.
- They must emanate a pleasant smell, rather than a sharp, giving away with staleness.
- The kernels of fresh nuts are light, and the rancid ones will have a dirty yellow and even greenish color. Bad nuts are bitter.
- Peeled pine nuts should be packed only in opaque containers, since they begin to deteriorate quickly in the light.
How to prepare pine nuts for storage
Before you send the nuts for storage, they must be dried. To do this, they are scattered in a thin layer on tarpaulin or trays and left in a warm dry place for several days. If this is not done, the slightly damp nuts will quickly grow moldy and deteriorate.
Nuts can be dried in special dryers, but you need to remember that dried nuts are stored as bad as wet. Therefore, the drying process must be regulated and the nuts are mixed in time.
How to store pine cones
Cones with pine nuts usually take up a lot of space, so they are stored in a dark cool room that is well ventilated.
They are folded into canvas bags and hung from the ceiling so that rodents do not get to them.
Indoors should not be high humidity, otherwise the nuts will grow moldy.
How to store pine nuts in the shell
Inshell nuts can also be stored in bags.
The room where the nuts are stored should be cool and well ventilated. It must be dark, as in the light of vegetable oils decompose, and the nuts get rancid taste.
Unclean nuts can be kept in special plastic bags with a gas transmission membrane, which creates favorable conditions for storage. At the same time periodically check the quality of the nuts. In such conditions, the nuts are stored no more than 3 months.
To extend the shelf life of unpeeled nuts, they are placed in a glass jar, covered with a lid and placed in the refrigerator.
How to store peeled pine nuts
Pine nuts without shell are stored only in the refrigerator. They are placed in a glass jar and closed with a lid so that they do not suffocate, but at the same time do not absorb foreign smells.
The shelf life of such nuts is not more than 3 months under all conditions.
The freezer compartment prolongs storage time by half. To do this, peeled pine nuts are placed in a plastic bag, designed to freeze food, tightly closed and put in a freezer. There nuts can be stored 6-8 months.
Can you store roasted pine nuts
Roasted pine nuts are very tasty and fragrant. But they should be consumed immediately, because with such heat treatment they emit a large amount of oil, which becomes rancid during storage.
Mistress of the note
Pine nuts, under adverse conditions, quickly deteriorate, so do not buy them too much. It is better to buy a small amount of fresh nuts than to throw out a batch of spoiled ones.