Walnut is often called the “tree of life”. After all, thanks to the rich composition, it quenches hunger, restores strength, heals almost any illness.
It is enough to eat three nuts a day so that the body can get as many beneficial microelements as necessary to maintain good health and strong immunity.
But for this you need to stock up on nuts for the future still in the autumn, while they are fresh and not spoiled by improper storage.
After all, it is not enough to collect them, you need to save them until the next harvest.
Which walnuts are suitable for storage
If they want to save walnuts until next year, then buy them in the shell.
- They should be of the same size, clean, without a peel darkened from time to adhere to them.
- There should be no cracks on the shell, since such nuts will not be stored for a long time.
- Before you buy them, you need to split one or two fruits to make sure they are fresh. If the core of the nut is dark or has a bitter taste, it is better to refuse such a purchase.
- You can shake the nut. If at the same time the characteristic sound of a rolling nucleoli is heard, then such a nut is already dry from the excessively high temperature at which it was stored.
- Walnuts should not be too light. Such fruits are most often empty.
How to keep inshell walnuts
Very good if you have your own walnut tree.
- In this case, dry, well-established weather is chosen to collect nuts.
- Nuts are shaken off the tree. Ripe fruit easily fall to the ground.
- They are peeled, as nuts grow moldy in it.
- Spread them to dry on the litter. Ideally, the nuts dry for 5-6 days. If the weather does not allow it to be done on the street, they are dried at home, scattered on the floor, covered with a cloth or paper.
- If the nuts need to be preserved for a long time, they are recommended to be placed in a warm oven and heated for about an hour to get rid of excessive moisture.
- Store nuts in linen bags or boxes in a dark, dry place. The temperature in the room should be no higher than 10-15 ° (room temperature is an extreme case).
- Some housewives store nuts on the balcony. But this should not be done because of the high humidity, in which the kernels of nuts begin to mold.
- High temperature is also contraindicated for walnuts. Indeed, in their composition a large amount of oil, because of which they quickly become rancid.
How to choose already peeled nuts
Many housewives prefer to buy nuts without the shell. Because, firstly, it is convenient, because you do not need to spend your precious time splitting hard shells and removing cores.
Secondly, unlike whole walnuts, which everyone buys like “a cat in a bag,” peeled nuts can be examined, smelled and tasted, thereby determining their quality.
- The kernels of walnuts should be whole and, if possible, in the same color. In this case, it is hoped that they are all the same variety and are not mixed with spoiled kernels or nuts of the previous year.
- It is impossible to buy crushed kernels, because the seller in this way can hide poor-quality goods.
- They do not buy peeled nuts on the street, because, like any other product, they perfectly absorb dust, exhaust gases and can be infected with pathogens.
- Before you buy nuts you need to try. If they are bitter or have an unpleasant smell, it is better to refuse such a purchase.
How to store peeled walnuts
- The kernels of walnuts are stored in sealed glass or tin containers in a dark and cool place. Do not store peeled nuts in a plastic bag, since the lack of ventilation will lead to their rotting.
- The shelf life of nuts at room temperature is about two weeks.
- To keep peeled nuts up to half a year, they are put in a glass jar, tightly closed with a lid and put into the plus compartment of the refrigerator.
- In order to prevent the development of putrefactive microorganisms, it is recommended to first heat the nuts in the oven, while avoiding the release of oil. Otherwise they will get rancid.
- If you want to keep the nuts until the next harvest, they are packed in tight plastic bags, sealed and put in a freezer. So that they do not absorb extraneous odors, they are stored separately from other products, which are especially strongly smelling.
How to store green nuts
Green nuts are not subject to storage. Most often they are used for medicinal purposes. To do this, they are immediately recycled.
What can be cooked from green nuts or green peel
- Alcohol tincture. The bottle is filled to 3/4 volume of crushed peel. Pour vodka or alcohol. Insist month in a dark place.
- Green oil. For 40 days, the green skin of walnuts is drawn in olive oil in the sun (5 pieces per half liter of oil).
- Juice of green shells. It is boiled with honey and used for gargling with sore throat.
- Extraction of juice of green nuts. Underripe nuts are washed, dried and cut into thin plates. Put in jars and pour sugar (500 pieces take 1 kg of sugar). Close the neck with thick paper and clean in the fridge. Subsequently, the juice is drunk throughout the year.
- Juice of green nuts. Nuts are crushed in a juicer and mixed with sugar in a ratio of 1: 2.
- Broth of unripe fruits. Chopped green nuts poured boiling water (20 g per glass of water) and boil for 30 minutes.
- Tincture of green walnuts on kerosene helps from many diseases.
- Green nuts with honey. They are mixed in a ratio of 1: 1 and insist month in a dark, cool place. This tincture enhances immunity.
- Jam made from green nuts.
All these methods of storing walnuts are easy to implement in a private house and in the conditions of a city apartment. The main thing is to buy quality nuts.