Mayonnaise - one of the most common gas stations, beloved by millions of people. There are several versions of its origin, but it is more plausible that mayonnaise was first made in 18th century in Mahon by the cook of the duke de Richelieu during the siege of the above-mentioned city by the British. It was from that very moment that the love of mayonnaise was born. Now there are many recipes for this sauce. The true taste of this dressing is revealed only in the fresh product, so it’s important to know how to properly store and how much mayonnaise.
How to choose mayonnaise
To store mayonnaise, you need to choose it correctly. Guided by the rules below, you can easily get a high-quality product.
- First of all, when choosing mayonnaise, you should pay attention to its composition. A high quality product will not contain any artificial additives or preservatives. You can also check for unwanted components by expiration date. Long shelf life indicates the presence of artificial components. In natural refueling it is small.
- Buy only such mayonnaise, which is stored in a store in a specially equipped refrigerator, and does not lie on the shelf.
- Mayonnaise should have a sealed package, because its components deteriorate very quickly when interacting with the environment.
- If there is an opportunity to consider a product, be sure to do it. Mayonnaise of excellent quality has a thick creamy texture and either white or light cream color. There should be no bubbles in the dressing: they indicate that the product is spoiled. It contains only particles of mustard or spices, if they are present in the composition.
Mayonnaise storage according to GOST
GOST standards strictly regulate the storage conditions of both mayonnaise and mayonnaise sauces. The generally accepted state standards state that storage of this product should be carried out in specialized warehouses (warehouses must be equipped with ventilation, that is, well ventilated, and also have a low humidity) or in refrigeration chambers. When storing mayonnaise should not be allowed to fall on it direct sunlight. The temperature range at which mayonnaise does not deteriorate varies from 0 to +18 degrees.
Storage of open and closed store mayonnaise
The shelf life of each mayonnaise is different - it directly depends on the composition and quantity of preservatives in the product. The most correct way is to purchase such mayonnaise, which can be stored for no more than 2-3 months.
Most often purchased mayonnaise has the following shelf life:
- not more than a month at a temperature of from 0 to +10 degrees;
- 14 days if the temperature ranges from +10 to +14 degrees;
- 7 days at 14-18 degrees.
Please note:: The specified conditions apply only to the product in a complete, sealed package. If there is no refrigerator, the purchased sauce can remain fresh if it is stored in a room whose temperature is below +18 degrees.
Open sauce can only be stored in the refrigerator. It will remain fresh for 2 weeks if the temperature in the fridge varies from 0 to +7 degrees.
Storing homemade mayonnaise
In homemade mayonnaise there are no artificial additives, so its shelf life completely depends on the shelf life of the ingredients.
- Homemade sauce should be stored in the refrigerator at 4-7 degrees for no longer than 3-4 days.
- If the container is open, the shelf life is reduced to 1, 5-2 days, since the interaction with air mayonnaise ingredients begin to oxidize.
- At room temperature, mayonnaise can be consumed only for a few hours.
- To increase the shelf life of the hostess is added to the home product mustard. Due to this, it is possible to delay the damage of mayonnaise for 1-2 days, not more.
Storage of mayonnaise in the freezer
Neither homemade nor purchased mayonnaise can be stored in the freezer. Under the influence of low temperatures, it loses its taste and changes its structure - breaks down into its constituents. In other words, it becomes completely unsuitable for food.
- The packaging in which it is stored has a great effect on the shelf life of mayonnaise. The sauce, cooked at home, be sure to keep in a glass container. After opening the purchased mayonnaise, if it was in a plastic tube, it is also better to shift it into a glass container. Moreover, the dishes in which the mayonnaise will be stored must be clean and have a tight-fitting lid.
- In a cold store, if mayonnaise is stored in an open container, it should be kept away from products that have a strong odor. Also, under no circumstances should it be placed next to raw meat and raw eggs, because these two products contain a large number of potentially dangerous microorganisms, and they can accelerate the deterioration of mayonnaise.
- If the room is more than 18 degrees and there is no possibility to put mayonnaise in the refrigerator, you can use foil. It should be wetted with cold water and wrap a can of mayonnaise in such a way that there are no open areas on the container. When the foil is heated, you need to cool it again with water. Thanks to this method, you can keep mayonnaise fresh for several days.
- In order to keep homemade mayonnaise longer, you should not use eggs and add citric acid or vinegar to the sauce. Garlic and horseradish also increase the shelf life of the product. They act just like mustard.
Knowing how to properly store and how much mayonnaise, you save your family from danger, because expired mayonnaise can cause considerable health damage. If you notice that the product is yellow on top, exfoliates and has an uncharacteristic smell, discard it.