Many people know that seafood is useful. After all, they are rich in almost all trace elements that help maintain normal human health.
These seafood include mussels. These bivalve mollusks can be bought at any supermarket or in a specialized store where they sell sea fish and other seafood.
If they are sold in packaging, then most often there is information on how to cook them. But what if mussels are bought without such an inscription?
How to prepare mussels for cooking
- If mussels are selected correctly, they should be tightly closed. Although it is possible a small slit between the doors, which immediately closes, you just knock on the sink with a fingernail.
- The shells of the shell should be smooth, shiny, flawless and chipped.
- Mussel should smell like the sea, and not produce an unpleasant smell.
If all mussels comply with the standard, then proceed with their washing.
Armed with a stiff brush, mussels are washed under running water, clearing the adhering algae and sand from them.
Then remove the antennae.
To get rid of the sand inside the shell, mussels are immersed in a salt water basin and left for an hour. Then again washed well.
They are boiled both in the sinks and without them.
How to cook mussels (different ways)
Since mussels consist mainly of protein, they cannot be cooked for a long time. From this they become hard and rubbery. Boiled mussels are very tender, have a slightly sweet taste and a pleasant “sea” smell. Therefore, when cooking this mollusk, use the minimum amount of spices and spices so that they do not drown out the natural smell of mussels.
Mussels are added to soup, stews, all kinds of salads. Even pilaf is made of them. But most often they are served as a separate dish as a snack.
How to cook fresh mussels
- Pour some water into a saucepan (for 300 g of mussels a glass of liquid) and set it on fire. Bring to a boil and salt.
- Put prepared mussels into boiling water.
- After they boil, boil for 7-10 minutes.
- Once the mussels open, they are ready.
- With the help of skimmers, they take out mussels and spread them on a dish. Those mollusks that have not opened can be safely thrown away: they are no good for food.
- If boiled mussels are served as a separate dish, they are not removed from the sinks. Sash with boiled clams are placed on a plate and poured with lemon juice. Separately served sauce, herbs, beer or white wine.
- To be added to a salad or other dish, they are freed from the shell, washed in warm water and used depending on the recipe.
How to cook mussels in wine
- Mussels are cleaned of sand and algae, the antennae are removed and washed in running water several times.
- Pour white wine into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Put mussels in there.
- Cook 7-10 minutes before the flaps open.
- Get them out with a skimmer and lay them on a plate. Unopened shells clean. Mussels are served with creamy or cheese sauce, pouring it directly into the casement.
How to cook mussels in beer
- A dark beer is poured into a saucepan and brought to a boil.
- Put prepared mussels into it.
- Cook 5-7 minutes.
- As soon as the shells have opened, the mollusks are pulled out with a slotted spoon and spread on a plate. Sprinkle with black pepper and decorate with lemon slices.
How to cook frozen mussels
Frozen mussels are cooked the same way as fresh ones.
- Water is poured into a saucepan, salted and brought to a boil.
- Frozen mussels are washed in running water and immediately immersed in boiling water.
- Cook for 7 minutes until the flaps open.
- With the help of skimmers, they are taken out on a dish. If mollusks are needed without a shell, then they are separated from it and further prepared according to the recipe.
- Mussels are first thawed. To do this, they are placed in cold water and left for one hour.
- Pour water into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Put salt, spices and herbs to taste.
- Put mussels in boiling water in shells and cook for 7 minutes.
- Once the flaps are open, the mussels are ready. They are taken out with the help of a skimmer and spread on a dish. Closed mussels are thrown away, and the rest are freed from the shell and washed in running water.
- After running off of water, they are ready for further use.
How to cook peeled frozen mussels in wine
- Mussels are thawed at room temperature.
- Wine is poured into the pan and brought to a boil.
- Dip the mussels and cook for five minutes.
- Get them out with a skimmer and cool.
How to cook peeled frozen mussels in milk
- Milk is poured into the pan and heated.
- Mussels thawed at room temperature are dipped in boiling milk.
- Cook five minutes while stirring, adding a little salt.
- Opened mussels take out a skimmer and cool.
How to cook frozen mussels in a microwave
- Mussels are thawed by placing in cold water for 1-2 hours.
- Flush under running water.
- Put in a special form, add spices and spices. Pour some white wine or lemon juice.
- Put in the oven, close the lid, and cook at maximum power for 10 minutes.
How to cook boiled mussels
Such mussels are almost ready, and they can be eaten immediately after thawing.
But in order to give the product a more fresh look, mussels are dipped in boiling water, to which spices and spices are added to taste, and cooked for 2 minutes.
Then they are thrown back into a colander and, after running off, are used as food.
- Thawed mussels should be immediately used for food, as they are not re-freezing.
- Mussels are combined with any side dish, so the hostess can safely experiment with them, inventing new dishes.
- Mussels spoil quickly, so the finished dish should not be left on the second day.
How to cook peeled frozen mussels: a recipe with photos
1. The main ingredient in the cooking process will be mussels.
2. They are without the shell of a boiled-frozen state. Before you cook them, leave them to defrost.
3. After defrosting, we pour out excess water, put it in a separate container.
4. Put a small pot of water on the burner, bring it to a boiling state. We begin to gently fall asleep mussels.
5. They should be cooked for approximately 6-7 minutes. Add a teaspoon of salt. It is important not to digest mussels, otherwise they can release their juice and you will not feel all their taste.
6. Serve the cooked mussels, drizzled with olive oil, and prune with greens.