Japanese cuisine is finding more and more admirers among our compatriots. Among the most popular Asian dishes in our country are rolls and sushi, the taste of which is familiar to almost every inhabitant of our country, even those who have never been to the Land of the Rising Sun. Ready-made rolls can be purchased at almost any large store at an affordable price, but those who have tried these foods will almost certainly not want to repeat this experiment, since cheap rolls from the supermarket rarely turn out to be truly tasty. The one who ate rolls in a sushi bar or a Japanese restaurant, most often becomes a big fan of this dish. However, in these places food is expensive, and not everyone can afford to buy them regularly. The solution is to prepare Japanese dishes at home, especially since the ingredients necessary for this have long ceased to be a shortage. The result of culinary creativity will directly depend on how well you can cook rice. It should be sticky and tasty. After learning how to cook rice for rolls and sushi, you can pamper yourself and the household with your favorite Japanese dishes as often as you like.
For sushi and rolls rice is prepared not quite as for other dishes. It is impossible to get the expected result if you do not know all the details of the technology or violate these rules.
- Before you start preparing rice for rolls or sushi, you need to choose it correctly. If you take Japanese rice, then you will not have to regret this choice - this product is ideal for the above-mentioned dishes. However, Japanese rice is usually expensive, and not only is it suitable for rolls. Most varieties of round grain rice contain a significant amount of starch, which makes them sticky, and they are suitable for making sushi, rolls and other Japanese dishes. The most economical option is to buy Krasnodar round rice.
- The processing character of rice cereals also plays a certain role. Polished rice is suitable for rolls and steamed is not suitable.
- When buying rice, pay attention to its quality. For rolls, only opaque white and round rice is suitable. It should not have chips and dark spots. The size of the grains should be approximately the same, otherwise you are dealing with a poor-quality product, and it is impossible to predict how it will behave during cooking.
- Rice should be washed before cooking. The Japanese believe that it should be washed in seven waters. In fact, it is not the multiplicity of procedures that matters, but their effectiveness. If you see that the water remains clear after washing the rice in it, you have achieved the desired result. The grains that float to the surface need to be removed - the Japanese consider them to be of poor quality.
- After washing, the rice is left in a bowl without water for 45-60 minutes. During this time, the grains have time to absorb the remaining moisture on them and dry.
- When cooking rice for sushi, it is important to respect the correct proportions of rice and water. Liquids take 20-25% more in volume than cereals. So, if rice is measured with a glass with a capacity of 200 ml, then water will need 240-250 ml. A glass of the specified volume contains about 180-200 g of rice, so it is convenient to count. It is better to take a little less water than pour it, and if there is not enough water, it can be added at the end of cooking, preheating it to boiling.
- Ready-cooked hot rice is filled with a mixture of rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Only after that it can be cooled and used for making rolls. Usually a glass of dry rice takes 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar, a teaspoon of salt and 1-2 teaspoons of sugar. The dressing is heated to completely dissolve the sugar and salt, use it too hot.
Rice for rolls can be cooked not only in a saucepan, but also in a double boiler, a slow cooker.
If rice for rolls is not dowar, it will be tough and tasteless. But to digest it is no less dangerous: well-cooked rice ceases to be sticky, does not hold the form, so rolls made from it will fall apart. To avoid mistakes, you need to know how much to cook rice for Japanese dishes.
- In a saucepan rice for rolls is cooked for 10-15 minutes and insist as much under the lid, having already removed it from the heat. If rice is poured into boiling water, it should be cooked a little longer (12-15 minutes), if it is poured with cold water and brought to readiness, then 10 minutes after boiling water will be enough. More correct is the first method.
- In a multicooker rice for rolls is cooked for 15-20 minutes depending on the power of the unit. The first time it is better to set 15 minutes, and then adjust the time if necessary.
- In a double boiler rice for rolls is cooked for 20-25 minutes. The time also depends on the particular model. The best option is also calculated experimentally.
The rice cooked in a slow cooker or a double boiler is placed in a bowl or pan, wrapped and left for 15 minutes.
A classic recipe for preparing rice for rolls in a pan
- rice - 0, 2 kg;
- water - 0, 25 l;
- Nori seaweed - 1 pc.
- Reassemble the rice, then rinse several times to clear water. Drain the last portion of water, leave for 45 minutes.
- Put a sheet of nori in a saucepan, cover with water.
- Put the pan on a slow fire.
- As soon as the water starts to boil, remove the nori. Pour rice into the pan.
- Cover the pan with a tight, heavy-fitting lid to prevent water from evaporating. Cook rice for 12-13 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Leave the rice to steam out under a lid for 15 minutes.
While the rice is steaming, prepare a dressing. Pour hot dressing to the rice, stir it. Wait a little while it cools down to a comfortable temperature, and proceed to the preparation of rolls or sushi.
Rice for rolls in a double boiler
- round grain rice - 0, 2 kg;
- water - 0, 22 l.
- Reassemble, rinse the rice well. Leave it for an hour.
- Place the rice in a container used for cooking porridge.
- Pour in water.
- Turn on the instrument. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
Transfer the rice to a bowl, cover with a plate, wrap and leave for another 15 minutes. After that, you can fill the rice and make sushi, rolls.
Rice for rolls in a multicooker
- rice - 0, 37 kg;
- water - 0, 5 l.
- Put the prepared rice into the multicooker container.
- Fill the rice with water.
- Lower the lid and start the appliance by selecting a program suitable for preparing meals from cereals. It may be called “Rice”, “Buckwheat” or otherwise. Set the timer to 20 minutes.
- After completion of the main program, leave the rice for 10 minutes in heating mode.
While the slow cooker is cooking rice, you can cook the dressing. This will save time.
Rice for rolls and sushi is prepared using a special technology. It is simple, but has many nuances. Only taking into account all the subtleties, you will be able to get the expected result.