Depending on the proportions of ingredients and the technology of cooking, even from the same products you can cook many different options for borscht. Someone likes cabbage in a borscht more, someone - beets, someone likes sweet borscht, someone sour. Our today's recipe for those who love borsch “as in the dining room” is light, with a lot of cabbage. But if you want to cook real Ukrainian borsch, then there should be a lot of beets in it, and for it to be fiery red, grated beets should be lightly fried in butter or pork fat, so that it softens. Roasting “fixes” the color and the borscht acquires a beet-red hue. Also, so that the color is not lost, after adding beets to borsch, you need to reduce the heat and bring the dish to readiness on a very small fire.
- meat - 400 g (best on bone);
- 1 cabbage head average in size;
- beets - 1 pc. (small size);
- 1 pc. medium sized carrots;
- potatoes (medium) - 5 pcs .;
- 1 onion;
- 2 tbsp. l tomato paste (you can use the pulp of the 1st tomato);
- pepper, salt, dill and garlic - to taste.
How to cook borscht
1. Prepare the necessary ingredients.
2. Prepare the broth - set to boil the meat. It will be necessary to pour so much liquid in order not to dilute the broth with water (this spoils the taste of the dish a little). Cooked and cooled meat should be disassembled (separated from the bone) and cut into pieces of the desired size.
3. Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes. In boiling broth add all chopped potatoes. When it boils again, slightly reduce the heat and leave for another 5-7 minutes.
4. Grate grated beets and carrots, finely chop the onion. Heat the frying pan with a small amount of oil and send there the onion first, fry it a little, and then add the carrots with beets.
5. In the pan with vegetables, send tomato paste (or tomato pulp), stir and simmer over low heat for another 3 minutes.
6. At this time, shred cabbage. Its quantity also depends on the desired thickness of the finished dish. Add stewed vegetables to borscht cooked on low heat. Salt and pepper to taste.
7. Add chopped cabbage and cook for a few minutes. When the vegetables are almost ready, turn off the oven and leave the soup to stew under the lid.
8. Sprinkle the prepared borsch with chopped herbs and garlic. The dish is traditionally served with sour cream.