Buckwheat is a cereal that has a rich, specific odor, thanks to which some love it, while others do not want to eat. For example, kids don't like such a gruel.
But buckwheat is useful and rich in vitamins, especially B1.
From it prepare krupnyky, bitochki, crisp porridge. It is served as a side dish and cooked soup.
But, like other cereals, it must be properly prepared before use.
Buckwheat before cooking you need to sort out.
- For this, it is poured on the table.
- Separate the palm with a small amount from the total mass.
- Freely spread on the surface of the tabletop so that all the grains are clearly visible.
- Remove dark, empty, uncleaned kernels, as well as impurities.
Buckwheat rinse is not accepted. Although many rinse it under running water, putting it in a colander. Especially if cooked without cooking, as will be discussed below.
Buckwheat most often goes to stores already fully processed. But to get crumbly porridge buckwheat sometimes fried.
- To do this, pour it in a thin layer on a baking sheet (no more than 3 cm) and put it in an oven heated to 100-150 °.
- Bring to a light brown color.
- During frying, the grains are periodically mixed.
Buckwheat before cooking is not soaked.
But if the buckwheat needs to be cooked quickly, it is poured with water in a ratio of 1: 2. And left for 1-3 hours. During this time, the grains absorb almost all the water, swell so much that the volume of cereal increases 2-2, 5 times. Swollen buckwheat is transferred to a clay pot or thick-walled dishes, butter or vegetable oil is added, mixed, covered with a lid and put in the oven or on a small fire on a stove.
The porridge is cooked for several minutes, as it is soft and practically cooked.
If a pot with grits is put in a microwave, then first it is heated at high power, be sure to cover with a lid, then heat is reduced to a minimum and kept porridge in the oven until cooked.
During cooking, the contents of the pan are mixed very carefully so as not to damage the grains. If the water has boiled away, and the cereal is still not soft enough, you can pour a little boiling water and close the lid again tightly.
Cooking buckwheat porridge without cooking
Now it has become fashionable to buckwheat porridge not to boil, but to steam. At the same time, the quality of cereals does not get worse at all, but on the contrary, all nutrients remain in buckwheat.
- For this, buckwheat is washed in cool water.
- Placed in a clay pot or cauldron.
- Pour with salted boiling water in a ratio of 1: 1, 5.
- Cover with a lid.
- Wrap a blanket or a thick towel.
- Leave for 8 hours.
- Delicious and healthy porridge is ready.
How to cook buckwheat on a stove
- The buckwheat is sorted out.
- Pour water into thick-walled dishes (cauldron, cast iron) and bring to a boil. Salt.
- Fill the cereal at the rate of one cup into two glasses of water.
- Bring, stirring with a spatula, to a boil and boil over medium heat until moisture is completely absorbed in the grain.
- After this, the stirring is stopped, the cauldron is covered with a lid and put in the oven. Bring porridge to readiness.
- If it is cooked on a stove, then after boiling water out of the pot, it is advisable to put it on a cast-iron stand, reduce the heat to minimum and bring the porridge to readiness. The cover at this time should be well closed.
Method 2 (taken from the 1909 cookbook)
- Four glasses of buckwheat grind with four eggs and lightly dry.
- Three glasses of water are poured into the pan, salted, put a tablespoon of butter and bring to a boil.
- Grains fall asleep.
- Cook over low heat until boiling liquid.
- Stir and continue cooking.
- Thick-walled dishes (a cauldron, a pot or a stewpan) are oiled and sprinkled with breadcrumbs.
- Spread buckwheat porridge.
- Put in the oven or oven until tender. So that the porridge does not dry, it is covered with a sheet of foil.
Method 3 (taken from the 1966 cookbook)
- The croup is picked and roasted in the oven.
- They are poured into boiling salted water, but liquids are taken 5 times more than with the usual method.
- Empty grains are removed with a slotted spoon.
- Add a little bit of any fat.
- Periodically mix until boiling moisture.
- When the porridge thickens, stirring is stopped, cover the dishes with a lid and cook for 2 hours.
- To get the buckwheat to be crumbly, ready porridge is ryzrykhlyayut fork.
- If a crust appeared at the bottom and on the walls of the cauldron after it was dried up in the oven, then it is left in the pot after being broken into small pieces, and poured with hot water or broth.
- Fluids should be twice the amount of cereals.
- Put on the fire, close the lid and heat to swell.
- After that, the cereal is mixed with the rest of buckwheat.
Before serving, put the finished porridge on the plate and pour it with melted butter, or use it as a side dish for meat dishes.
If buckwheat is served with milk, then hot porridge is poured with hot milk, and cold - cooled.
- It must be remembered that the more cereal is taken to boil porridge, the less water is required. For example, if you need to take two glasses of water for a glass of buckwheat, then 1, 5 liters of water is used for cooking 1 kg of buckwheat. Because in large boilers, the liquid heats up longer and boils more slowly.
- Boiling roasted cereals requires more water than raw. Indeed, in the roasted grains moisture is much less than in the raw.
- But at the same time roasted buckwheat cooks faster than raw.