Pumpkin is considered one of the most useful gifts of the garden. The unique, slightly sweet taste makes it possible to use this culture for the preparation of sweet pieces. Pumpkin jam is inexpensive, fragrant, bright. He not only looks appetizing, but also has a pleasant taste. This dessert can be served separately for tea or used to make sweet pastries.
Pumpkin does not apply to fruits or berries. The jam from it is prepared in a similar way, but this process has its own specifics. Without knowing some of the points you can get a result that does not meet the expectations of the chef.
- For cooking pumpkin jam, the most suitable pumpkin variety is “batternat”, which is shaped like a pear. She has the most tender flesh with delicate nutmeg notes. However, other varieties can be used.
- A pumpkin does not have a pronounced taste, in order to get a tasty jam, it must be supplemented with berries or fruits. Most often used citruses, apples. Interesting to taste the jam is obtained from the pumpkin with viburnum.
- The density of pumpkin jam depends on the amount of sugar used and the duration of boiling pumpkin pulp.
- The jam has a uniform consistency. You can get it by grinding the pumpkin before cooking it on a grater or using a meat grinder, but more often the pumpkin pulp is cut into small pieces, boiled or baked, then ground by a blender.
- When adding citruses, it is important not to allow the seed, partitions and white layer between the pulp and the peel, which has a bitter aftertaste, to enter the jam.
- To give the pumpkin jam a more pleasant aroma, you can add zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and other spices.
- Pumpkin jam should be spread on pre-sterilized cans. Cover it with metal lids, ensuring tightness. They must be boiled before use.
If the jam has been placed in sterilized jars and sealed, it can be stored at room temperature for a year. If the jars have not been sterilized, and the metal lids are replaced with nylon, the jam must be put in the fridge and consumed within two weeks.
A classic pumpkin jam recipe
Composition (1 l):
- pumpkin pulp - 1 kg;
- orange - 150 g;
- sugar - 0, 6 kg;
- water - how much will leave;
- anise, cinnamon - to taste.
- Wash, clean pumpkin. Cut into 4 pieces, remove the pulp with seeds. Cut the remaining flesh into small cubes, fold into a thick-bottomed saucepan.
- Fill the pumpkin with water so that the liquid barely covers the pumpkin pieces, put on a slow fire.
- Wash an orange, pour boiling water over it, dry it with a napkin. Rub the zest from the fruit.
- Remove the white film covering the fruit, disassemble it into slices.
- Clean the slices from the film while removing the stones. Put the orange pulp to the pumpkin. Add anise and cinnamon. You can use cinnamon sticks or ground seasoning.
- Boil the jam, stirring occasionally for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the star anise stars and cinnamon sticks.
- Smash the orange-pumpkin mass with a blender by mixing with the zest.
- Stir in the mashed sugar.
- Boil over medium heat for 15-30 minutes to obtain the desired consistency.
- Sterilize the jars and their lids.
- Spread pumpkin jam over prepared cans, roll them up.
Once the jam has cooled, the jars with it can be moved to the pantry or any other place where you are used to keeping supplies for the winter.
Unusual pumpkin jam with viburnum
Composition (1 l):
- viburnum - 0, 3 kg;
- pumpkin pulp - 0, 7 kg;
- sugar - 0, 4 kg;
- water - how much will leave.
- Cut pumpkin pulp into small-sized cubes, cover with a glass of water. Tomit on low heat for at least an hour until the pumpkin is completely soft. Mash masher or mash with an immersion blender.
- Fill Kalina with clean water, boil it for 15-20 minutes, drain the water.
- Mash the berries and rub through a sieve. The result is a viburnum juice.
- Mix pumpkin puree with berry juice and sugar.
- Boil the jam to the desired consistency, spread it over the prepared jars, seal it and cool it.
Jam has an unusual shade, taste and aroma. Not everyone will guess what products it is made from.
Pumpkin Jam with Ginger
Composition (2 liters):
- pumpkin - 1, 5 kg;
- oranges - 0, 3 kg;
- lemons - 2 pcs .;
- ginger root - 100 g;
- water - 1 l;
- sugar - 0, 8 kg;
- Cinnamon - a large pinch.
- Citrus fruits are thoroughly washed, towel dried, cut into quarters, remove bones.
- Cut the pumpkin pulp into cubes.
- Ginger root cleanse, rub.
- Put the pumpkin, fruit and ginger into the pan.
- Add sugar and cinnamon, mix.
- Fill with water and place on the stove.
- Boil until the pumpkin is soft.
- Grind the contents of the pan using a blender.
- Continue to boil for 40-60 minutes until a thick consistency is obtained.
- Spread the pumpkin jam over the prepared cans, seal them.
Pumpkin jam made according to this recipe has spicy notes, helps to resist cold, warms and invigorates. In winter it will be especially nice.
Pumpkin jam is easy to cook. This process is lengthy, but does not require great culinary skill. Pumpkin dessert is inexpensive, has an unusual, but harmonious taste, it is well worth it at room temperature.