Potato stewed with meat is one of those dishes that are great for both everyday lunch and a festive feast.
Meat for such foods can be used absolutely any. It can be tender turkey, flavorful lamb, diet rabbit, or high-calorie pork. Everything depends on the national traditions and taste preferences of the eaters gathered at the table.
If the hostess cooks potatoes with pork, then most often she uses the filet: no need to bother with the bones, and even fry the flesh faster than bone-in meat.
Take at least the same ribs. If the pork is not old, then they can be cooked pretty quickly.
Despite the presence of bones, stew potatoes with ribs can be served hot even for guests. True, it is necessary to take care that everyone gets a neatly chopped rib with enough meat.
Pork ribs stewed with potatoes: cooking details
- Stewed potatoes with ribs should be cooked in a cauldron or a wide thick-walled pot so that the contents can be easily mixed.
- The taste of meat on the ribs depends largely on their proper preparation for stewing. Pork ribs, as well as one flesh, are recommended to fry before stewing. But if the fillet can be brought to a brown crust, then the ribs after this treatment can turn out to be dry and tasteless.
- Therefore, ribs are only lightly fried on both sides until golden brown, followed by the addition of onions, which makes the meat juicy.
- Pork ribs and vegetables are fried in vegetable or ghee, smaltse. You can use and fat (fresh, salted or smoked). It is cut into small cubes, sent to a hot frying pan. When the fat is melted, the greaves are removed. They can be added to the dish before the end of the quenching, so that they do not have time to soften greatly.
- If ribs are covered with a layer of fat, it should be cut off. Or fry the bones without adding oil, as the melted fat is enough to roast the rest of the vegetables.
- In addition to potatoes and onions, carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplants, and pepper are added to extinguish the ribs. It all depends on the time of year and the financial capacity of the hostess.
- But even with one potato, the dish turns out to be very tasty, especially if the seasonings and spices are chosen correctly.
- Usually cumin, dill, garlic, bay leaf, any pepper are well suited to potatoes with pork ribs. The dish will get a savory taste if you add coriander, cilantro, hops-suneli, marjoram, thyme.
- In finished form, the meat should easily fall behind the ribs, the potatoes should be soft, and the carrots should keep their original shape (if, of course, they were not chopped on a grater).
Pork Ribs Stewed with Potatoes (with Garlic)
- pork ribs - 0, 8-1 kg;
- potatoes - 800 g;
- medium sized onions - 2 pcs .;
- medium sized carrots - 1 pc .;
- garlic - 5 cloves;
- bay leaf - 3 pcs .;
- vegetable refined oil - 1 tbsp. l .;
- ground black pepper.
- If you got all the ribs, cut them into several pieces. Wash in warm water, rinse with cold, dry with paper towels.
- Fry in a hot frying pan with the addition of butter until light crust. Transfer to a cauldron or other suitable utensils.
- On the remaining fat, save finely chopped onions. Add to it sliced carrots, mix. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Put vegetables into a cauldron, put it on fire. Pour boiling water to the level of meat. Close the lid. Simmer for 30-40 minutes over low heat.
- Cut the prepared potatoes into large cubes. Put in a cauldron with ribs. Add salt, pepper, bay leaf. Stir. If there is little liquid, pour in boiling water so that the potatoes are two-thirds covered in broth.
- Continue stewing until the potatoes and meat are soft. 10 minutes until cooked add finely chopped garlic and mix gently.
Pork ribs stewed with potatoes (home-style)
- pork ribs - 0, 7 kg;
- potatoes - 0, 8 kg;
- medium onions - 1 pc .;
- small carrots - 1 pc .;
- flour - 1 tbsp. l .;
- celery root - 50 g;
- parsley root - 20 g;
- tomato paste - 50 g;
- pork lard - 50 g;
- bay leaf - 3 pcs .;
- salt and pepper;
- Dry the prepared pork ribs with a paper towel, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roll in flour.
- Fry in lard until the crust is too crispy. Put on a plate.
- Peel and wash the onions, carrots, celery and parsley. Cut carrots and roots into equal cubes, chop onion finely. Fry the vegetables in the remaining fat. Also put in a separate dish.
- Peel potatoes, wash, cut into slices. If there is no fat left in the pan, add some more fat, heat well. Lightly fry the potato slices on it. Stir in the rest of the vegetables.
- Take a roomy cauldron. At the bottom, put half of all the vegetables, put them on the ribs. Cover with remaining vegetables. Add tomato paste and bay leaf. Do not mix.
- Fill the cauldron with hot broth or water. Close the cauldron with a lid and simmer on low heat for about an hour. Also do not mix vegetables during stewing, otherwise the potato will lose its shape. Twenty minutes before the end of cooking, try the broth to see if there is enough salt. Salt more if needed. Sprinkle the finished dish with herbs.
Pork Ribs Stewed with Potatoes and Bell Peppers
- pork ribs - 0, 8 kg;
- potatoes - 0, 8 kg;
- onions - 2 pcs .;
- carrots - 1 pc .;
- ground paprika - 1 tbsp. l .;
- Bulgarian red pepper - 1 pc .;
- refined vegetable oil - 1 tbsp. l .;
- ground black pepper - pinch;
- bay leaf - 2 pcs .;
- dried basil - 1 tsp.
- Chop the pork ribs into several pieces, wash, carefully removing the pieces, pat dry with a paper towel.
- Rub with pepper, salt a little and fry immediately in a hot frying pan with oil added until golden brown. Transfer to the cauldron. Pour in boiling water to cover the meat, cover the cauldron with a lid, simmer the bones on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Clean all vegetables and wash them. Cut the carrots into thin slices, chop the onion, and chop the pepper into strips.
- On the remaining oil, first rescue the onion, then add the carrot. Stir, fry for 5 minutes. Put the Bulgarian pepper, mix, warm up for another three minutes. Pepper should be softer, but not fry.
- Transfer the vegetables to the cauldron with the ribs.
- While the meat is stewing, cut the potatoes into medium-sized sticks or cubes.
- When the meat is almost soft, add potatoes, paprika, basil, bay leaf to it. Pour hot water. It should slightly cover the potatoes. Stir. Try if there is enough salt, salt. Stew until soft potatoes and meat. Sprinkle the finished dish with herbs.
Mistress to note
If you decide to add to the potatoes and other vegetables, calculate their number so that the main place is given to the potato, and they would only serve as a vegetable additive.
You can vary the taste of stewed potatoes with pork ribs, pre-marinated meat in soy sauce or a mixture of herbs.
Do not pickle the ribs in vinegar or any acid. Marinated meat, of course, tastes better, but potatoes in an acidic environment will stew longer and get less crumbly, but more dense.