Lamb dishes are common in the East and in Asia, they are eaten with pleasure by residents of the UK and Latin America. They are not only satisfying, but also useful. Mutton broth or soups from it in Central Asia are considered healing. They are in fact so rich in minerals and vitamins that they can help the body recuperate after a long illness. However, lamb meat has a specific smell, which not everyone likes. If the lamb broth is not cooked properly, it will not be possible to cook a tasty dish based on it.
Mutton broth is needed to prepare many dishes of Central Asian and Oriental cuisine. Locals know how to cook it fragrant and tasty. However, any hostess can master this art, even if she had not previously had to deal with lamb. It is only important to know a few important points.
- Meat on bone, taken from sheep aged 1-2 years, is most suitable for broth, but some prefer the broth from the meat of old animals, considering it to be more rich. The ideal composition of the meat set for boiling lamb broth: a piece of the neck of an animal of any age, a young sheep's shoulder, a piece of the thigh. The neck gives a good fat, the thigh contains a lot of pulp, the shoulder blade allows you to cook a moderately rich broth in which there will be enough meat.
- A specific smell, which many do not like, often has the meat of an old sheep, if it was slaughtered incorrectly. Most characteristic of this smell is fat. When buying, you can cut off a piece of fat and set fire to make sure that it does not spoil your broth with an unpleasant amber.
- Spices, roots, spices will help to neutralize the specific smell of mutton. When cooking broth they should not be sorry.
- Lamb cooks for a long time. To speed up the process, it is advisable to chop pieces of meat into pieces of 5-6 cm before cooking.
- The cooking time for lamb broth depends on the size of the meat pieces and the age of the animal to which it belonged. A broth from a young lamb, the meat of which is cut into medium-sized pieces, is sufficient to cook 2-2, 5 hours. From large pieces of meat of old sheep, broth is boiled for at least 3, 5 hours.
- When cooking broth, be sure to remove the foam that forms on the surface, otherwise it will turn out to be cloudy. Strain after cooking it does not interfere in any way.
Mutton broth can be used not only for cooking other dishes. It is delicious in its purest form. In addition, it can be “brewed” by adding at the end of the preparation whipped raw eggs, or thickened by sprinkling corn flour. In Turkey, this dish is boiled and served with corn tortillas.
A simple recipe for lamb broth
- lamb - 1 kg;
- onions - 0, 2 kg;
- garlic - 1 head;
- salt, coriander, pepper, fennel - to taste;
- fresh coriander - 50 g;
- fresh parsley - 50 g;
- water - 4 l.
Method of preparation:
- Wash the lamb, cut the fat. Chop into small pieces.
- Fill with water, leave for 2 hours. Rinse again.
- Put the lamb pieces in the cauldron.
- Fill with water, put on fire.
- When water boils, foam will form on the surface. Boil 10-15 minutes, removing it. Reduce the intensity of the flame.
- Cook on low heat for 2, 5 hours.
- Peel the garlic bulbs and cloves. Put in a cauldron where lamb is cooked. Sprinkle with spices, salt the broth.
- Continue cooking for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove meat and vegetables from the broth. Broth strain.
- Finely chop fresh greens, add to the broth.
- Bring it to a boil and cook for another 5 minutes.
Broth prepared according to this recipe is suitable for preparing any dish that has this ingredient in the recipe. It can also be served as a separate dish, but broth cooked using more spices is more suitable for use in its pure form.
Lamb Broth Country-Style
- lamb - 0, 5 kg;
- horseradish root - 50 g;
- turnips - 150 g;
- onions - 100 g;
- carrots - 100 g;
- bay leaf - 1 pc .;
- black pepper peas - 5 pcs .;
- allspice - 3 pcs .;
- water - 2, 5 l;
- salt, fresh or dried herbs - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Wash the lamb by cutting off the fat. Soak for 2-3 hours in cool water. If it is acidified with pomegranate or lemon juice, it will be easier to remove the specific smell, and the meat itself will cook a little faster.
- Rinse the meat again, put in the pan.
- Wash and clean the vegetables. Cut the bulb into 4 pieces.
- Cut the turnips into small cubes.
- Cut the carrots into several pieces.
- Clean, large rub the horseradish root.
- Put the lamb pan on the fire. After boiling, remove the foam and reduce the heat. Boil 3 hours.
- Add onions and carrots. Dip pea pepper and laurel leaves in the broth. Continue cooking for 30-40 minutes, until meat is fully cooked.
- Take the meat out of the broth. Broth strain.
- Separate the meat from the bones, cut into small pieces, return to the pan.
- Add turnips, grated horseradish and greens.
- Bring the broth to a boil, cook for 20 minutes.
Broth according to this recipe has a spicy, but pleasant taste. The specific smell of lamb in it is almost not felt.
Lamb broth with ginger
- lamb on the bone - 0, 4 kg;
- water - 1, 5-2 l;
- ginger root - 40 g;
- chili pepper - 1 pc .;
- leek (white part) - 0, 2 kg;
- lemon - 1 pc .;
- turmeric - 5 g;
- fresh greens, salt, spices - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Wash the lamb, put it in a saucepan, and pour water over the pan.
- After boiling, boil for a quarter of an hour, removing the foam, then make the fire weaker. Add any spices. Cook over low heat, covering the pot with a lid, 3, 5 hours. Half an hour before salting ready.
- Remove meat from broth. Sieve the contents of the pan.
- When the meat has cooled, separate it from the bones, cut it into small pieces, lower it into the broth.
- Leek wash, dry with a napkin, cut into small circles.
- In a separate container, squeeze the juice from the lemon, after carefully washing out and drying the fruit. Rub the zest with it.
- Peel ginger root, chop with a grater.
- Wash the chili pepper, cut it in half lengthwise. Remove the tail, seeds and partitions.
- Slice peppers. The smaller they are, the better.
- Finely chop fresh greens with a knife.
- Put a pot of broth on the stove, bring it to a boil.
- Put ginger, pepper and onion in broth. Boil 15 minutes.
- Pour turmeric and lemon zest, pour in lemon juice.
- Bring the broth to a boil again, boil it for 5 minutes.
Add fresh greens to the plates with broth or add it along with lemon juice, turmeric and zest. If the leeks and peppers are fried in vegetable oil before adding to the soup, it will be even tastier. This version of lamb broth will appeal to those who are not indifferent to the Caucasian cuisine and love spicy dishes.
Lamb broth is not only satisfying and tasty, but also useful. It is indispensable if you are cooking shurpa or other oriental dishes. If you know the secrets of cooking this dish, the specific smell of lamb will not prevent you from enjoying its taste.