Pickled onions add a savory flavor to various dishes, harmoniously combined with meat, fish, vegetables. It is often served with kebab, salted herring, added to salads. Seasoned with butter, mayonnaise or sour cream, it can serve as an independent snack. Traditionally, this vegetable is marinated in vinegar, but not everyone likes its strong smell and excessively savory taste. Much more noble in its organoleptic qualities is the onion marinated in lemon juice. Such an appetizer costs a little more, but it is just as easy to prepare, and the taste is more pleasant.
The general principles of cooking onions marinated in lemon juice are the same as pickling this vegetable in vinegar, but some points may differ, as lemon juice is a less acidic product. Knowing the intricacies of technology, even an inexperienced cook can handle pickling onions in lemon juice.
- Onions, intended for pickling, free from husk and immediately crushed by the method specified in the recipe of the dish for which it is prepared. The onion pickled with rings looks the most beautiful, but more often it is cut into half rings or even small cubes.
- You can pickle onions in a hot or cold way. Cooked in cold marinade, onions are crispier. If boiling water is poured over it, it loses its crispness and ceases to be sharp. The method of marinating is usually chosen taking into account the culinary preferences of the chef.
- If the onion is cut thickly, it will marinate in lemon juice for a long time and still remain bitter. Thin cutting is preferred. If you still have to cook coarsely chopped onions, you can use only the hot method of pickling.
- To obtain a balanced flavor, add sugar or honey to the marinade based on lemon juice. Fresh or dried herbs, spices will add an additional taste and flavor to the snack.
When choosing which seasonings to add to the marinade for onions, it is worth considering the purpose for which it is prepared. For serving to the meat it is advisable to add pepper. If the onions are made to fish, lemon zest will be appropriate in the marinade. With the addition of honey, onions can be marinated when it is prepared as a complement to Asian dishes, pork, poultry meat.
A simple recipe for onions marinated in lemon juice
- onions - 0, 25 kg;
- sugar is a major pinch;
- salt - a large shchipot;
- ground black pepper to taste;
- lemon juice - 40 ml;
- vegetable oil - 30 ml.
Method of preparation:
- Peel the onion, cut it into thin half rings or pieces of any other shape.
- If you want to get a snack with a delicate taste or you want to pickle onions quickly, pour boiling water over it, squeeze it in 30-60 seconds.
- Salt, pepper, add sugar, mix. If before that the bow was not boiled over, remember it with your hands. At this stage, you can add finely chopped fresh herbs or dried spices, focusing on your taste.
- Combine lemon juice and butter, whisk.
- Fill the onion with marinade, press down with a saucer or rosette. Leave to pickle for 20-40 minutes.
Onions, marinated after scalding with boiling water, will be ready faster. This recipe is universal. On it, onions can be marinated to meat, and herring, and to add to the salad.
Onions marinated in lemon juice with zest
- onions - 0, 3 kg;
- lemon - 2 pcs .;
- salt - 5 g;
- sugar - 5 g;
- water - 100 ml;
- vegetable oil - 40 ml;
- white ground pepper - 5 g.
Method of preparation:
- Onion, freeing from the husk, cut into thin half-rings. Pepper, remember hands.
- Boil water, dissolving sugar and salt in it. Wait until the liquid has cooled to 60-70 degrees.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemons, rub the zest from one fruit, add the juice and zest to the pickle.
- Pour in the oil.
- Whisk until a uniform marinade is obtained.
- Pour onion with warm marinade, leave for half an hour.
- Flip the onion into a colander, wait until all the liquid has drained from it, then use it as directed.
Onion marinated in this recipe is well suited to fish cooked in any way. You can also add it to salads.
Onions marinated in lemon juice with honey
- onions - 100-150 g;
- lemon juice - 30-40 ml;
- honey - 5 ml;
- salt - a pinch;
- vegetable oil - 20 ml;
- ground coriander - pinch;
- ground red pepper (spicy) - a pinch.
Method of preparation:
- Peel the onion, cut into thin half rings.
- Sprinkle chopped onion with salt, remember.
- Heat the oil by mixing it with pepper and coriander.
- Combine butter with honey melted to a liquid state.
- Pour lemon juice into oil, mix thoroughly.
- Fill the marinade with onions, leave for 20-30 minutes.
Onions, marinated according to the above recipe, will suit pork, poultry, Asian dishes. According to this recipe, onions can be marinated without adding oil, then it can be turned into a salad, seasoned with sour cream or mayonnaise, and served as a separate snack.
Lemon marinated in lemon juice, turns out moderately savory, has an exquisite taste, pleasant aroma. It can be used in the same way as onions, marinated in the traditional way (in vinegar). The time of marinating and the taste of the finished snack depends on the selected recipe.