When you need to cook something tasty and satisfying in a hurry, many housewives help out canned fish. They can be the basis of salads, soups, main dishes or a self-starter, especially if they are made with vegetables. However, buying canned goods in a store, it is difficult to judge their quality, and there is always the chance to bring home a tasteless and unappetizing mass hidden in a tin can with a beautiful label. Even a high price can not always serve as a guarantor of high quality product. For this reason, skillful housewives have already learned how to close mackerel with vegetables for the winter. Such fish and vegetable appetizers are always tasty and healthy. In addition, there are so many recipes for mackerel salads with vegetables that can be made for the future, that everyone can choose the option that best suits his taste.
Preserving any products for the winter, it is very important to strictly follow the technology. This is especially true if the composition of canned fish include or meat. For this reason, before you start making mackerel salads for the winter, you should study the recommendations of experienced chefs.
- Instead of mackerel for the preparation of fish and vegetable canned food for the winter, you can use any other not too bony fish, but gourmets say that they are especially tasty from mackerel.
- Mackerel, before being mixed with vegetables, is most often boiled until cooked and thoroughly disassembled. It is desirable that the pieces were not quite small, but at the same time, it is impossible to allow the bones to get into the snack. There are options when the mackerel is first cut, and then put into a raw salad and cooked until ready, along with vegetables.
- If rice or other cereal is added to a salad, it is more satisfying. Such an appetizer, if warmed up, will completely replace lunch.
- The croup is boiled until half cooked before being added to mackerel salad.
- Vegetables for salad are usually cut into thin strips or rubbed. Carrots look more appetizing in a salad if ground on a grater for Korean appetizers.
- Most often, mackerel salad contains tomatoes or tomato paste. It is easier to cook with pasta, but with tomatoes it is tastier and healthier. Tomatoes are usually required to grind to a state of mashed potatoes. The easiest way to do this is with a blender or meat grinder; however, if you grind tomatoes through a sieve by hand, the consistency of the pouring will be more tender. In any case, the tomatoes before chopping must be cleaned from the skins. You can do this as follows: incise the skin crosswise. Dip the tomatoes for 2 minutes in boiling water, remove, cool and remove the skin, pulling the tips around the cut.
- Any canned food will stand well only if they were cleaned. All ingredients need to be washed thoroughly, rinsed with boiling water before use, and jars and lids intended for canning should be sterilized.
Regardless of the recipe you choose, keeping mackerel salads with vegetables in the winter is safer in the refrigerator or, in extreme cases, in a cold basement. A storeroom, even if it keeps the temperature below room temperature, will not be suitable for storing canned fish.
Classic recipe for mackerel salad with vegetables for the winter
Composition (for 3, 5 l):
- mackerel (without a head) - 1 kg;
- tomatoes - 1, 5 kg;
- onions - 0, 5 kg;
- Bulgarian pepper - 0, 5 kg;
- carrots - 1 kg;
- vegetable oil - 150 ml;
- sugar - 50 g;
- table vinegar (9 percent) - 50 ml;
- salt - to taste (approximately 20 g);
- spices - to taste.
- Wash the mackerel and boil for 20 minutes in salted water. To add flavor to the fish in the broth, you can add pepper, peas, roots, but the recipe, these ingredients are not provided.
- Take out and cool the mackerel. Divide, removing all the bones. Split fish fillets with your hands into small pieces.
- Wash the paprika, cut off the stalks and remove the seeds. Cut the flesh of the peppers into thin strips or quarter rings.
- Peel and wash the carrots. Grate it for Korean salads. If you do not have such a grater, you can use a regular one with large holes or cut the carrots into thin strips with a knife.
- Remove peel from onion. Cut it into thin halves of the rings.
- Fold the vegetables into a saucepan, mix and add sugar. Leave for a quarter of an hour, so they let the juice.
- Wash the tomatoes, cut them, and flush them in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Transfer to a container of cold water so that they cool faster. Clean up.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, remove the seeds with a spoon. Cut the seal near the stem. Grind the slices of tomatoes in a blender or using a meat grinder.
- Mix tomato puree with butter, fill them with vegetables.
- Put the saucepan with the vegetables on a slow fire and cook them, stirring for half an hour.
- Add pieces of mackerel, vinegar, and spices to vegetables. Salt the salad to taste. Cook it for another 10 minutes, stirring gently.
- Sterilize the jars, after washing them with soda. Boil the lids.
- Fill the prepared jars with a hot salad and seal them tightly. Turn over, cover with a woolen blanket. After a day, put it in a refrigerator or cellar.
A mackerel salad prepared according to the classic recipe resembles shop fish and vegetable salads, but it turns out to be much tastier and healthier.
Mackerel Salad with Beets
Composition (for 2, 5 l):
- mackerel - 1 kg;
- beets - 0, 2 kg;
- onions - 0, 3 kg;
- tomatoes - 1, 3 kg;
- carrots - 0, 7 kg;
- vegetable oil - 100 ml;
- salt - 20 g;
- table vinegar (9 percent) - 50 ml;
- mustard seeds, coriander, allspice peas - to taste.
- Wash beets, peel, grate.
- Carrots, after washing and peeling, also grind grated.
- Free the onions from the husk and cut them into small pieces.
- Boil the tomatoes, peel and break with a blender.
- In a thick-walled saucepan, heat the oil, put the onion in it and fry it on low heat until soft. Add the carrots and fry the vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Place beetroot on the onions and carrots, add half of the vinegar, add salt, and mix.
- Fill the vegetables with tomato puree.
- Boil the fish in salted water, remove the bones from it, cut it into small pieces, put it to the vegetables, when the tomato puree begins to boil.
- Stew vegetables with fish for an hour, 5 minutes prior to readiness, add the remaining vinegar and spices to the salad, mix.
- Distribute the salad to the pre-sterilized jars, seal them tightly. Turning and covering with something warm, leave to cool.
Mackerel goes very well with beets, onions and carrots. Therefore, despite the fact that this salad has a very simple composition, it turns out very tasty and does not look like canned goods at all. Mackerel for this salad can not pre-boil, and immediately cut and chop. Given the duration of heat treatment, fear that it will be damp, there is no reason.
Mackerel salad with vegetables and rice
Composition (4-4, 5 l):
- rice - 0, 3 kg;
- mackerel - 1, 5 kg;
- tomatoes - 1, 5 kg;
- carrots - 0, 3 kg;
- onions - 0, 4 kg;
- table vinegar (9 percent) - 50 ml;
- vegetable oil - 0, 2 l;
- sweet pepper - 0, 7 kg;
- salt, spices - to taste.
- Sort, wash and boil until half ready.
- Wash the fish, boil it in salt water with spices. Cool and undress, freeing the bones. Cut into small pieces.
- Peel the onion from the peel, cut it into small cubes.
- Sweet pepper, removing seeds from it, cut into strips.
- Tomatoes, peeled, mashed with a blender or meat grinder.
- Mix the tomato puree with half the butter and bring to the boil. Put the fish in it and cook for half an hour.
- Meanwhile, in the remaining oil, fry the onion, carrot and pepper. Put them in the pan to the other ingredients, mix. Extinguish 15 minutes.
- Add rice, salt, vinegar and spices, continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
After that, the snack remains on the sterilized cans, closed tightly and allowed to cool in an inverted form under something warm, for example under a blanket. After that, the mackerel salad can be stored in a cool place.
Snack, cooked according to this recipe, can be used not only as a salad, but also as a main course - thanks to rice, it turns out to be particularly satisfying.
Eggplant Mackerel Salad
Composition (4, 5 l):
- mackerel - 2 kg;
- eggplants - 1, 5 kg;
- carrots - 1, 5 kg;
- onions - 1 kg;
- tomato puree (or tomato paste diluted with water) - 0, 2 l;
- salt - 40 g;
- sugar - 60 g;
- Acetic essence (70 percent) - 20 ml.
- Defrost, wash and dry fish, separate from bones, cut into small pieces.
- Peel the eggplants, cut into cubes and soak for 20 minutes in salted water, then wash and dry.
- Onion, peeled, finely chopped.
- Grate grated peeled carrots.
- Stir the vegetables, cover them with salt and sugar, cover with tomato sauce, diluted with tomato paste or thick tomato juice, put on a slow fire.
- Cook the vegetables for half an hour, add the mackerel to them, continue to stew for another half-hour. Constantly stir the snack so that it does not burn.
- Add vinegar essence, mix. After 5 minutes, lay out the prepared banks.
- Sealing, turn the jars, wrap them. As they cool down, store in a refrigerator or cellar.
This salad is very thick, almost without gravy, and nourishing. It can also replace the main course, if it is heated.
Even an inexperienced hostess can prepare a mackerel with vegetables for the winter, if she clearly follows the instructions accompanying the recipe of the selected salad.