One type of whiskey is Scotch tape. This is a drink made in Scotland based on barley malt. It can be single malt or blended. The first is more expensive because it has a more subtle aroma, but many prefer blended drinks with more pronounced organoleptic qualities. Which Scotch whiskey to choose for tasting is a matter of taste, but knowing how to drink scotch correctly will not prevent anyone who tries this noble alcohol.
The culture of using scotch differs little from the rules describing the process of whiskey tasting in general. Some connoisseurs of this drink tend to follow the traditions that have developed in Scotland, in the homeland of Scotch.
- Whiskey is not drunk in the morning. According to etiquette it should be tasted after dinner. Allowed to drink Scotch in the break between lunch and dinner. They don't serve it to the feast, they don't make toasts for it.
- According to etiquette Scotch tape refers to a few drinks, which everyone pours himself. Dilution of this alcohol with water is also necessary independently. In Scotland, they almost always serve a glass of scotch with cool but not cold water.
- Scotch is drunk neat or diluted with water. Water add a little. Initially, the tape has a strength of 40-50 degrees, and the smell of alcohol can make it difficult to feel the aroma of the drink. If you dilute it with water to 30 degrees, you can get more pleasure from its use.
- The ideal temperature of the scotch tape for tasting is 18-20 degrees; it is at this temperature that its bouquet reveals best. If it is cooler than the specified temperature, it is heated in the palms. If the drink, on the contrary, needs to be cooled, special stones for whiskey are put into it. Usually they are made of stainless steel, cooled before use in a freezer. Cooling an adhesive tape with ice is considered a move.
- Traditionally, scotch is drunk from low, but wide glasses with a thick bottom. It will not be a mistake to taste it from glasses in the form of tulips. It is only important to remember that a portion of whiskey is 30-50 ml, in Scotland 40 ml of scotch is considered a portion.
- Scotch can be drunk in small sips. Before you take a drink in your mouth, you need to admire it, then inhale its aroma and only after that take a sip. Holding the drink a little in the mouth, it is swallowed, after which the mouth is slightly opened - this helps to feel the aftertaste, which can differ significantly from the dominant taste of the drink.
Dear scotch varieties that have been aged in oak barrels for more than 10 years can only be diluted with a small amount of water. For making cocktails they are not used. Ordinary varieties of scotch are used not only for tasting in its pure form, but also for the preparation of multi-component beverages.
How to snack Scotch
Given the late consumption of Scotch, it is not advisable to have a snack. Scots most often drink it without a snack, sometimes only drinking water or beer. However, serving snacks for scotch is possible, especially if it was a long time after dinner or dinner. In different countries for the scotch serves different dishes.
- In Scotland, veal tongue or game is offered for scotch, most often in berry sauce.
- Some Scots prefer to eat barley whiskey with olives.
- It is believed that the smoky notes of Scottish scotch are well disclosed, if you add the drink dishes of poultry meat, liver pate.
- There are connoisseurs who prefer to eat scotch with smoked fish.
- It is considered possible to eat a scotch with fruit with a mild flavor, a melon is considered the most suitable snack.
- Soft cheese that does not have a spicy taste is also a good match for scotch as a snack.
- Seafood is consumed with scotch by residents of different countries, including Russia. Here Scotch whiskey is often served with sandwiches with red caviar.
- It would be a good idea to apply canape from cheese, shrimp, olives and similar products to scotch tapes.
There are no strict rules regarding what to eat Scotch tape. However, almost every connoisseur of this drink will call a few products that are certainly not served to Scotch whiskey:
- spicy cheese;
- citrus fruits.
Such snacks will kill the delicate scent of scotch, not allowing to feel its rich bouquet.
Combine scotch with other drinks in cocktails should also be skillful, so that additional components do not interrupt the taste of barley whiskey. Most reliably take advantage of ready-made recipes.
- blended whiskey - 60 ml;
- Scotch from Isle - 10 ml;
- lemon juice - 20 ml;
- honey syrup - 20 ml;
- ginger root - 8 g;
- crushed ice - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- With pure warm water, dilute the honey in a 1: 1 ratio to make a honey-flavored syrup, but a liquid consistency.
- Peel ginger root and cut into thin slices. Knock them in a glass shaker, pouring lemon and honey syrup.
- Add blended whiskey and crushed ice.
- Shake the drinks in a shaker for 40 seconds.
- Strain the mixture and pour into a whiskey glass.
- With the help of a bar spoon, lay a scotch from the island of Islay on top, the taste of which is considered unique.
- Place a piece of ginger on top to serve as decoration. Ginger can be pre-strung on a skewer. Then the decor does not interfere with drinking a cocktail: having admired the decoration, a skewer with ginger can be taken out.
The recipe for this cocktail was invented by the Australian Sam Ross, who works as a bartender in New York. It happened in 2005. The drink quickly won the love of Americans, and after that, and residents of other countries.
Cocktail “Festive Rob Roy”
- scotch - 60 ml;
- dry vermouth - 7, 5 ml;
- red vermouth - 7, 5 ml;
- Liquor “Drambuie” - 7, 5 ml;
- ice - to taste;
- cocktail cherry - 1 pc.
Method of preparation:
- Liquor, scotch and both types of vermouth mix in a shaker with ice.
- Filter in a cocktail glass.
- Decorate with a cocktail cherry.
The “Drambuie” liqueur is made in Scotland using heather honey and various herbs, it goes well with scotch, allowing you to get a unique taste of the drink.
- scotch - 30 ml;
- white vermouth - 15 ml;
- dry vermouth - 15 ml;
- orange liqueur - 2 drops;
- ice cubes - 3/4 glass.
Method of preparation:
- Fill the martini glass with ice.
- Mix vermouth and scotch in a shaker.
- Pour into a glass with ice.
- Drop the liqueur.
The cocktail is very popular with girls. Perhaps this is the name of the drink.
Scotch tape belongs to the elite alcohol, is a barley whiskey, which is produced in Scotland. Proper use of the drink allows you to enjoy its unique bouquet with smoky-peat and fruity notes.