Roast pork - general principles and methods of cooking
Roast - one of the most popular dishes of Russian cuisine. According to classical canons, roast pork is a whole piece of meat baked in a large heat (this is where the name comes from). This piece should be fried for a short time before being placed in the oven, so that a crust is formed, which will preserve the juiciness of the meat, and only then bake it in the oven, placing it on a baking sheet. Prepared meat before serving should be cut into even beautiful pieces and serve with horseradish or mustard.
But modern roast is most often cooked in the form of meat baked in a pot or other dish, often with potatoes, vegetables, etc. This roast is cooked a little differently. First, fry the meat with pieces, then place it in a pot with vegetables (potatoes, mushrooms, onions, green peas, carrots, spices), then, salt and pepper, close the lid and bake in the oven. This roast should be served in the same pots in which it was baked.
Pork Roast - Food Preparation
The ideal choice of meat for roast pork will be the neck, since the meat of the neck of the pig is tender and fat. Having chosen a piece of pork for cooking roasts, tendons and films are removed from it, washed and dried with a paper towel. Meat, which is planned to bake in one piece, is often marinated in a wine or lemon marinade for several hours.
Preparing vegetables for cooking roast pork in pots is that they are washed, peeled and cut according to the recipe, if necessary, they are pre-fried in sunflower oil.
Pork Roast - Cooking
As a rule, roast pork is cooked in pots. It is also very tasty in a cauldron or in another cast-iron pot, which retains heat well. In this case, the meat during the heat treatment is impregnated with its juices and aroma of the vegetables with which it is cooked, and it turns out extremely tasty and appetizing.
If the roast is cooked in clay pots, then it is recommended about half an hour before placing the products in it, soak it in warm water. Then its pores will be filled with moisture, which during heat treatment will allow preserving the juiciness and aroma of cooked meat and vegetables. Pork Roast - the best recipes
Recipe 1: Roast pork with prunes and dried apricots
Roast pork with prunes and dried apricots has an original, slightly spicy taste. This meat, baked in foil, is an excellent hearty dish for an ordinary family dinner, however, on the festive table it will be very appropriate.
0.5 kg of pork neck;
3 cloves of garlic;
100 gr. prunes;
50 gr. dried apricots;
1 medium apple;
half a cup of mayonnaise;
2/3 cup beef broth;
to taste salt, pepper.
1. Cut onion into thin rings, soak apricots and prunes in water, peel the apple and cut into cubes.
1. Pork cut into portions and, having rubbed them with garlic, salt, pepper and lay each on the foil.
2. Grind dried apricots and prunes and put them together with chopped onions and apples on the meat, top with mayonnaise and broth. Lifting the ends of the foil up, we close the edges of the foil and bake on a baking sheet in the oven.
Recipe 2: Italian Pork Roast
A very simple recipe, it does not require much time and product expenditure, and the result is simply excellent. A special feature of this roast pork is the use of tomatoes, in the juice of which, together with spices, our pork stews.
1 kg of pork;
0.5 kg of fresh tomatoes;
2 medium onions;
50 gr. lard,
to taste salt, pepper, spices for meat.
1. Cut the meat into pieces of medium size.
2. We clean the onions and cut them into several pieces.
3. We melt the lard in the cauldron so that it turns into cracklings, remove it from the cauldron and put the meat in small portions, in several passes, so that it is fried in one layer, this is important. The fact is that meat that does not immediately come into contact with boiling fat, will squeeze juice, and this will make it tough. Salt the meat during the first roast is not worth it.
4. During roasting in the cauldron of the last portion of meat, add onions to it, fry them together until golden onion is purchased, and then add the previously fried meat pieces.
5. Scald tomatoes with boiling water, remove the skin from them, grind in a meat grinder and send to the cauldron to the meat with onions, simmer together for about 5 minutes.
6. Season everything with salt, black pepper and spices, mix and simmer on low heat for about an hour and a half, stirring from time to time.
Recipe 3: Home Roast
The variety of components of this dish causes its rich taste and very appetizing appearance. Pork cooked with onions, carrots, white roots, dried mushrooms and potatoes is very nutritious, and even a novice chef is not at all difficult to cook.
300 gr. pork neck;
2 medium carrots;
celery, parsley root;
100 gr. dried mushrooms;
1 tbsp. l flour;
5 medium potatoes;
1 tbsp. l lard or vegetable oil;
150 ml of mushroom broth;
to taste salt, pepper, bay leaf, other spices.
1. Soak the mushrooms for about 2 hours, then boil them.
2. After washing the meat, dry it with a paper towel, salt and pepper it, and roll in flour and fry quickly.
3. Cut the onion into rings, carrots - into slices. Roots and boiled mushrooms finely cut and put all the vegetables and meat in layers in a ceramic pot for stewing.
4. Fry the potatoes and also send them to the pot.
5. Fill everything with mushroom broth, salt, pepper, add spices and simmer in the oven until cooked meat and potatoes.
Roast pork - useful tips from experienced chefs
- If you want to cook a real juicy meat roast from a piece of pork, then in no case should you salt it until fully cooked, since salt contributes to the flow of juice from the meat and its drying out.
- If roast pork is cooked in a pot with potatoes, then you do not need to do it for future use, because after heating the dish will lose its taste. At the same time, potatoes should first be quickly fried in vegetable oil so that it does not turn into a porridge in a pot.
- When cooking roast pork in the oven, experienced chefs advise first to put meat into the dishes, then carrots and onions, the last layer should consist of potatoes.