Tomatoes in their own juice are two dishes at once: a tasty snack and savory tomato juice. Many housewives, choosing options for harvesting vegetables for the winter, prefer such canned food. You can prepare them according to different recipes. The cooking process has certain difficulties, but does not require great cooking skills.
Even an aspiring hostess can prepare tomatoes for the winter in her own juice, but she will need to know a few things to get the expected result.
- For cooking tomatoes in their own juice, two varieties of these vegetables are needed. Some should be dense, small. Suitable varieties such as cream, ladies fingers. The latter should be large, ripe, juicy. Small tomatoes are placed in a jar, from large ones they get juice, with which the fruits in the jars are poured.
- There are several ways to get tomato juice. The traditional method involves heating the sliced vegetables until softened and then grinding them through a sieve. The result is a juice that has the most delicate texture. The second way is to use a juicer. Juice, made with the help of this unit, it turns out clean, and its output will be maximum. The third option is to chop the tomatoes with a blender. In this juice, there are pieces of skin and tomato seeds, but this drawback is easy to fix - just skip the tomato mass prepared with a blender through a sieve.
- If it is not possible to make tomato juice at home, you can use a commercial drink or dilute tomato paste in water. The result when using store products will be different, but experienced chefs argue that these differences cannot be called significant.
- Tomatoes that are placed in a jar should remain beautiful. So that they do not burst while pouring them with hot juice, the fruits are punctured with a toothpick around the stem. Another option for preparing tomatoes for preservation is to peel them. Make it easy if you dip the tomatoes in boiling water, boil for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a container filled with cold water.
- Tomatoes can be closed for winter only in pre-sterilized jars, otherwise they will quickly deteriorate. To ensure tightness, metal covers are used which are rolled up with a special key or screw. Plastic covers for this purpose will not work. Covers before use must be sterilized. To do this, they boil for 10 minutes.
Tomatoes in their own juice stand well at room temperature.
You can prepare canned food with or without sterilization; you just need to find the right recipe.
Classic recipe of tomatoes in own juice
Composition (3 liters):
- small and dense tomatoes - 3 kg;
- large fleshy tomatoes - 2 kg;
- salt - 60 g;
- sugar - 60 g;
- table vinegar (9 percent) - 120 ml.
Method of preparation:
- Wash the tomatoes.
- Wash jars with soda, sterilize them. It is better to choose three liter cans or four 750-gram. In half-liter containers all the tomatoes provided for in the recipe may not enter, and the juice, on the contrary, will not suffice. Large banks are inconvenient because they require that their contents be eaten for a short period of time (within 3-4 days), but if you have a large family, this will not be a problem.
- Small dense tomatoes chop in several places, lay on the banks. Tamper them as closely as possible, but not pressing so hard to make the fruit crackle.
- Slice large tomatoes, put them in a saucepan, put on a slow fire and heat until the tomatoes let out juice. Wipe them through a sieve.
- Pour the resulting juice into a saucepan, add salt and sugar to it.
- Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved.
- After baking juice for 5 minutes, pour vinegar into it. Hold the juice on the fire for another 2-3 minutes, remove from the stove.
- Fill the jars of tomatoes with hot marinade. Fill should be almost to the edge.
- Roll cans with prepared lids, turn them over. Cover with a blanket and leave to cool in this form for additional preservation.
It is recommended to keep tomatoes cooked according to the classic recipe in their own juice in a cool place, but even if the temperature in the room where they are standing rises above 20 degrees for several days, canned food will withstand this test.
Tomatoes in own juice - recipe with sterilization
Composition (2 liters):
- tomatoes - 2-2, 5 kg;
- salt - 20 g;
- citric acid - 2 g.
Method of preparation:
- Wash the tomatoes. Make on the side opposite the stem small cross-shaped incisions.
- In a large saucepan, boil water, immerse the tomatoes in it. Wait 2 minutes.
- Catch the fruits with a skimmer and place them in a container with cold water so that they cool down more quickly.
- Peel the tomatoes, carefully cut out the dense areas of the pulp that are in the stalk area.
- Sterilize two-liter jars or one two-liter jars.
- At the bottom of the cans, pour in citric acid and a teaspoon of salt.
- Fill the jars with tomatoes. Sprinkle the top with the remaining salt.
- At the bottom of a large pot, lay a towel, put a jar of tomatoes on it. Cover them with lids.
- Pour water into the pan so that it reaches the hangers of the cans.
- Put the pan on a slow fire. 15 minutes after the water boils in the pan, lift the lids, lightly tamp the tomatoes with a spoon and report a new batch of tomatoes. After 15 minutes, repeat the procedure. Sterilize the jars for another 10 minutes, roll up.
- Turn the jars over and cover with a blanket, leave to cool in a steam bath.
According to the above recipe, you can prepare for the winter in your own juice and large tomatoes that do not fit in the jar. They need to be cleaned, coarsely chopped, and then act as indicated in the recipe.
Tomatoes in their own juice with tomato paste
Composition (3 liters):
- medium-sized tomatoes - 2 kg;
- tomato paste - 0, 5 l per 1 l of water;
- water - how much will enter;
- sugar - 50 g;
- salt - 10 g;
- table vinegar (9 percent) - 20 ml;
- allspice peas - 6 pcs .;
- celery greens - 2-3 sprigs.
Method of preparation:
- Sterilize the jars, spread celery and pepper over them.
- Prepare tomatoes by chopping them or peeling them.
- Fold the tomatoes in a jar.
- Boil the water, cover the tomatoes. Leave for 15 minutes.
- Pour water into a saucepan, mix with tomato paste, bring to a boil.
- Add salt and sugar, boil the juice until these products dissolve.
- Add vinegar, stir the juice, remove from heat.
- Fill the jar with the restored tomato juice, roll it, turn it over and leave to cool, wrapped with a blanket.
It is easiest to cook tomatoes in your own juice according to this recipe, but the result will not disappoint you.
Video: Awesomely delicious tomatoes in their own juice. Never explode
Tomatoes in tomato juice - a classic home canning. Experienced housewives are trying every year to make such blanks, as they are in demand.