Vegetable stew is one of the most versatile dishes. It can be eaten as a separate dish or served as a side dish. It is combined with fish, and meat, and with mushrooms, and with sausages. Vegetable stew with cabbage and potatoes is especially popular, as these products are most accessible. At the same time, the stew of them turns out very tasty, if you know just a few subtleties.
Vegetable stew with cabbage and potatoes is easy to prepare, so even an aspiring hostess will cope with this task. But a dish cooked according to the same recipe may have a different taste. Why? The fact is that there are several important rules that allow you to prepare not just vegetable stew, but very tasty and fragrant.
- The most delicious stew is obtained from young vegetables, but you can cook it from any vegetables, as long as they are not spoiled. You can even use sauerkraut, but if it is too sour, it should be washed before cooking.
- Do not chop vegetables for stew too finely. Otherwise, during prolonged languor, they will soften too much, and the dish will turn into a “porridge”, which is not very pleasant to eat.
- All vegetables have a different structure and prepare a different time. Therefore it is necessary to observe the correct ordering sequence of products. Usually this sequence is described in recipes. The general rule is this: young white cabbage is laid after the potatoes, and mature - in front of her. Sauerkraut is placed after the potato or with it. If other varieties of cabbage are used, other rules apply, which, as already mentioned, are reflected in specific recipes.
- If meat enters the recipe, fry it until golden brown and only then begin to inject vegetables.
- The taste and aroma of vegetables in a stew will unfold better if it is cooked slowly over low heat in a thick-walled pot. It can be a thick-walled pot, a cauldron, a duckling. Vegetable stew is also delicious in a slow cooker.
- If the vegetables that make up the stew, first fry separately, and then combine and stew in the sauce, the stew will be especially tasty. However, roasting in oil increases the calorie content of the dish, so those who follow the figure can do without it or fry only some of the vegetables using a minimum amount of oil.
The technology of making vegetable stews with cabbage and potatoes may depend on the specific recipe, so it is necessary to follow the recommendations given in it exactly. Then you will get a really tasty and fragrant vegetable stew.
Vegetable stew with fresh cabbage and potatoes
- potatoes - 0, 7 kg;
- white cabbage - 0, 7 kg;
- zucchini (optional) - 0, 25 kg;
- carrots - 150 g;
- onions - 150 g;
- tomatoes (optional) - 0, 3 kg;
- sweet pepper - 0, 25 kg;
- tomato paste - 20-40 ml;
- water - 100 ml;
- vegetable oil - as required;
- salt, pepper - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Wash, peel and peel potatoes.
- Wash cabbage. Remove sluggish upper leaves. Shred, but not too small.
- If you are cooking in summer, then prepare the tomatoes. To do this, on the side opposite the stem, you need to make cross-shaped incisions. After that, bring water to a boil and dip tomatoes in it for a couple of minutes. Then the tomatoes should be removed with a slotted spoon and cooled. They will cool faster if they are put in cold water for a few minutes. After that, the tomatoes remain to be peeled and cut into cubes. If you cook in winter, you can do without tomatoes, but in this case you should take 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, while using fresh tomatoes you can do with one spoon of pasta from them.
- In summer, it is advisable to include a zucchini in the composition of the stew. It should be cut into cubes about 1 cm in size. If the zucchini is not too young, then it will have to be peeled and seeds peeled before.
- Peel the onions and carrots. Finely chop the onion with a knife, chop the carrot on a coarse grater.
- Pepper wash. Cut the stalk from him, remove the seeds. Cut the pepper lengthwise into 4 pieces, chop into quarters of rings.
- In a pan, heat the vegetable oil and fry the potato slices in it until golden, transfer the potatoes to the cauldron.
- In the pan, where the potatoes were fried, put the zucchini and peppers, fry them for 7-8 minutes and also transfer them to the cauldron. If you do not use zucchini, then one pepper is enough to fry for 5 minutes.
- Fry the cabbage in the same pan. If it is young, then it is enough to fry it for 5 minutes, otherwise the frying time should be 10 minutes. Transfer the cabbage to the cauldron to the rest of the vegetables.
- Put onions, carrots, tomatoes in the cauldron. Pour in tomato paste diluted with water. Add salt and spices. Put the cauldron on the stove and simmer the vegetables on low heat under a lid for 30 minutes.
A stew of potatoes and cabbage will be even more fragrant if 10 minutes before it is ready, throw garlic and fresh greens crushed with a knife into the cauldron.
Young white cabbage in this recipe can be replaced with Peking. In this case, the taste of the dish will be slightly different, but no less pleasant.
Vegetable stew with sauerkraut, potatoes and rice
- sauerkraut - 0, 25 kg;
- rice - 0, 2 kg;
- potatoes - 0.5 kg;
- carrots - 0, 2 kg;
- tomato paste - 20 ml;
- water - 0, 2 l;
- vegetable oil - as needed;
- salt, pepper, greens - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Rinse sauerkraut under running water, squeeze it to remove excess moisture.
- Peel and dice the carrots. You can also grind it grated for Korean salads.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes of about 1.5 cm.
- In a cauldron, heat the vegetable oil, put carrots in it and fry it for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes and fry them together with the carrots until it is browned.
- Boil the rice until half cooked in salted water.
- Add rice and sauerkraut to vegetables.
- Dissolve tomato paste in water, add salt, pepper, chopped greens to this liquid. Pour the sauce into the cauldron with the remaining ingredients.
- Put the cauldron on the fire and simmer the vegetables with rice for 30 minutes.
Instead of rice, you can use canned beans. It must be added after all other ingredients, namely, 15 minutes before the readiness of the dish.
Vegetable stew from cabbage and potatoes is an inexpensive, but tasty and healthy dish that can be cooked at any time of the year.