One of the specialties of Chinese cuisine is Peking style duck. It is difficult to imagine a tourist who visited China and returned from there without having tasted the legendary snack. The traditional technology of cooking this dish is quite complicated, and it is unlikely that it will be possible to repeat the process at home. Before the hot bird for at least a day marinated in the composition, which includes specific Chinese seasonings. To get the juice of the cook using a special press, squeezing it out of the bones. The duck is baked in a special closed plate, changing the degree of heat in the cooking process, or roasted on a spit, and the fire is supported with the help of fruit tree branches, thanks to which the dish acquires a unique flavor. However, it is quite possible to make a Peking duck in your kitchen, in taste and appearance, which is a little different from the original one.
Knowing some of the subtleties of cooking Peking duck will allow you to fry a bird at home so that it will be no worse than in a Chinese restaurant. At the same time such a culinary masterpiece is relatively inexpensive.
- Before cooking, cleaned and gutted duck should be scalded from all sides with boiling water. In China, it for this hang on the hook. At home, it is quite possible to do with a large colander or simply put the bird in the sink and scald it with boiling water, gradually turning it over to different sides. This manipulation will make the skin and poultry meat more susceptible, they will quickly absorb the marinade and the aroma of spices, thanks to which the ready dish will smell seductively, turn out to be tender and tasty.
- Before cooking, the duck must be marinated at least for the night, although in the Celestial Kingdom it is kept in the marinade for at least a day.
- Marinade for Peking duck is made on the basis of honey and other ingredients that give the bird a sweetish taste and allow a golden crust to form when baking. So spicy and with a specific flavor ingredients, like garlic, in the marinade is not the place - leave them for chicken tobacco.
- Protecting duck skin at individual stages of cooking and changing the temperature regimes allow the poultry meat to bake and turn the skin into a fragrant crust without charring it. Accurately follow the instructions in the recipe regarding these points.
- Under the grate, on which the Peking duck will roast in the oven, set the baking sheet, where the resulting fat will drain. Pour water on a baking sheet. This allows you to make the meat more juicy and facilitates the process of laundering the pan from fat after cooking.
Traditionally, Peking duck is served with pancakes, fresh cucumber and hoisin sauce. If it was not found in the store, it can be replaced with regular soy sauce or a mixture in which the duck was pickled, boiled it over low heat for 5-10 minutes and cooled. The duck itself is cut into small pieces, aiming for each of them to include a piece of skin. These pieces are put on a pancake greased with sauce and wrapped, adding a long slice of fresh cucumber.
Peking duck with pancakes and cucumbers
- duck - 2-2, 5 kg;
- honey - 80 ml;
- dry red wine - 100 ml;
- soy sauce (not including the quantity for serving the dish) - 100 ml;
- vegetable oil - as required (20 ml for marinade, 40 ml for dough, a little for frying pancakes);
- ginger powder - 20 g;
- black ground pepper - 20 g;
- chicken egg - 2 pcs .;
- water - 0, 2 l;
- milk - 0, 2 l;
- flour - 0, 25 kg;
- green onions - 100 g;
- fresh cucumbers - 0, 4 kg;
- salt - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Gut and clean the duck carcass thoroughly cleaned. Boil enough water and scald the bird on it from all sides.
- Put the duck on the jar, put it on a large plate and place in the refrigerator for 12 hours. During this time, extra juice will flow out of it.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of honey and coat them with carcass. Leave it in the cold for another 6-18 hours.
- Pack the carcass in the folded foil, put it on the oven grate.
- Pour a glass of water on a baking sheet, place it under the grill.
- Turn on the oven and wait until its temperature reaches 190-200 degrees. Notice the hour.
- Mix ginger, 80 ml of soy sauce and pepper.
- After a specified time, turn the duck around and cover it with the resulting mixture on all sides. Hide the legs and wings of the bird in foil, leave the rest of its parts open.
- Return the duck to the oven, increasing the temperature in it to 250 degrees.
- Wash, dry and finely chop the onion.
- Mix water and milk.
- Beat the eggs.
- Add diluted milk to the eggs, mix thoroughly.
- When adding sifted flour, make the dough.
- Add two tablespoons of vegetable oil and onion to the dough.
- Fry pancakes. You can fry them in a hot red-hot frying pan, as butter already forms part of the dough. If you are afraid that pancakes will still burn, grease the pan with a thin layer of oil using a special silicone brush.
- Fold the baked pancakes on a flat dish where you plan to serve them to the table.
- Half an hour after the start of roasting the duck at 250 degrees, remove it from the oven. Remove the remaining foil. Coat the carcass with a mixture of melted honey and soy sauce, mixing them in a 2: 1 ratio.
- Turn off the oven and place the duck in it for 10 minutes.
- Wash the cucumbers, cut them into long bars and place them on a plate.
- Remove the duck from the oven. Using a sharp knife, divide it into many small pieces, always grabbing a piece of skin.
Duck, pancakes and cucumbers are served on a separate dish. Be sure to put on the table a vase with hoisin sauce or regular soy sauce.
Peking Duck in Orange Sauce
- duck (carcass) - 2 kg;
- soy sauce - 60 ml;
- honey - 60 ml;
- cognac - 40 ml;
- orange juice - 0, 2 l;
- orange peel;
- salt - 5 g;
- black ground pepper - 5 g;
- dry ground ginger - 5 g.
Method of preparation:
- Prepare the duck carcass by cleaning and washing, scald with boiling water.
- Rub the carcass from all sides, including the inside, with salt, lubricate with brandy.
- Put in a large saucepan and put in the refrigerator overnight.
- After 6-10 hours, coat the duck with a mixture of honey melted to a liquid and orange peel, grated from one fruit. Leave in the cold for another 3-4 hours at least.
- Wrap in foil, put on the wire rack. Place a pan with water under the rack.
- Turn on the oven. Bake duck for an hour and a half at 200 degrees. After 50 minutes, the carcass must be turned over, without turning, to the other side.
- After the specified time has elapsed, carefully release the duck from the foil so as not to pour out the fat melted from it. Collect it in a bowl or glass.
- In a bowl, mix 40-60 ml of melted duck fat, soy sauce, and orange juice. Add ginger and pepper to this mixture, mix.
- Spread the sauce over the duck.
- Return the bird to the oven, this time protecting only the legs and wings from the heat with foil.
- After increasing the temperature in the oven to 220-240 degrees, fry the duck for another half an hour, until it is well browned.
Serve Peking duck baked in orange sauce as you would with the previous recipe: with pancakes, fresh cucumbers and soy sauce. If you have not baked pancakes, you can replace them with thin pita bread. In this case, it does not hurt to file green onions separately.
Peking duck with hoisin sauce
- duck - 2-2, 5 kg;
- honey - 80 ml;
- soy sauce - 100 ml;
- sesame oil - 40 ml;
- garlic powder - 5 g;
- wine vinegar (6%) - 5 ml;
- ground chilli - 5 g;
- seasoning from 5 Chinese spices (dill, badian, cinnamon, cloves, Ural licorice) - 5 g.
Method of preparation:
- Wash the carcass of the bird, dry it, rub it with salt and put it in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, blow the duck with boiling water.
- Drain with a kitchen towel.
- With a regular syringe (medical) in several places, pierce the duck skin and press air under it.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of honey and coat them with duck from all sides.
- Store for several hours in the refrigerator. To lie so she must not less than an hour, and preferably 2-3 hours.
- Mix a tablespoon of melted honey with the same amount of sesame oil and two tablespoons of dark soy sauce.
- Coat the duck with this mixture and return to the refrigerator. Do not pour out the remaining marinade: they need to coat the carcass every half hour until it runs out.
- Preheat oven to 240 degrees. Put a pan filled with water into it. From above install the greased lattice. Put a duck on it.
- After 40 minutes, reduce the temperature to 160 degrees.
- After half an hour, turn over the carcass and continue cooking for another hour.
- Mix the mixture of Chinese spices with garlic powder, hot pepper, mix.
- Mix spices with a tablespoon of sesame oil and three tablespoons of soy sauce. Stir thoroughly to make hoisin sauce has a uniform consistency.
Serve Peking duck with hoisin sauce cooked with your own hands. Adding the dish, following the tradition, it would be nice to have pancakes with green onions and fresh cucumbers, cut into strips.
Peking Duck - a recognized masterpiece of Chinese cuisine, which is appreciated by gourmets, regardless of where they live. Cooking this dish is possible at home. The technology will differ from the traditional one, but the result will be almost identical. The process of roasting Peking ducks is difficult to call simple: it takes a long time to prepare the ingredients, baking the carcass in several stages. Because of this, the dish is not suitable for the daily menu, but to cook it for the festive table would be a good idea.