Quite recently, only those who visited France knew about croissants. After all, this country is considered the progenitress of these tasty crescent shaped buns.
But not every bagel can be called a croissant. It is not easy to bake it, so cooks are specially trained in the art of making croissants.
However, this does not mean that the ordinary housewife is deprived of the opportunity in her kitchen to cook these delicious puff bagels. To bake them, you need to know a few rules. Although they are not easy, but quite doable.
- The dough for croissants is rich in butter, and for it you need to take exactly butter, not margarine. There should be almost as much oil as flour.
- First, knead the yeast dough, which is cooled in the refrigerator. This is different from the usual yeast, which is kneaded for buns and pies, and then kept in a warm place.
- Butter and dough must be necessarily cooled so that the butter does not melt and not connect with the dough and does not flow out of it before time, thereby depriving it of those thin plates that make it puffy.
- Cooking puff yeast dough does not tolerate vanity, so the hostess should be completely free from other matters and devote herself only to baking croissants.
- The preparation of dough should be taken responsibly. It is not necessary to reduce the number of “rolls” (folding the dough in a certain way).
- In the room where the dough is prepared for croissants, it should be cool, since the high temperature in the kitchen will contribute to the melting of the butter, as a result of which the dough will not turn out to be puff.
- Croissants are prepared both with the filling (sweet and savory), and without it. But you need to use dry stuffing, because the wet ingredients will make the dough wet and heavy.
Cooking Croissants: A Classic Recipe
Calorie dishes: 4630 kcal, per 100 g: 406 kcal.
- butter - 350 g;
- milk - 250 ml;
- dry yeast - 2 tsp;
- sugar - 25 g;
- salt - 0, 5 tsp;
- flour - 450-500 g;
- egg (yolk) for lubrication - 1 pc.
- Step 1 - oil preparation. Cold butter mash hands and mix with 3 tablespoons of flour, avoiding melting.
- The oil is put on food film, given a rectangular shape, wrapped and cleaned in a refrigerator.
- Step 2 - kneading dough. Warm milk is poured into a bowl, yeast and sugar are poured. Leave for a few minutes to fully dissolve the yeast. Mix well, you can even slightly whisk.
- Pour flour in a large bowl, add a small piece (25 g) of ground oil and salt. Pour milk mixture and mix well.
- Spread the dough on the table, fired with flour, and thoroughly knead until smooth.
- The dough is removed in the refrigerator so that it cools to 10-15 °.
- Table sprinkled with flour, take out the dough and roll into a rectangular layer with a thickness of 8 mm.
- Put cooled butter on one half of the dough. The sides of the dough are wrapped in butter. Cover it with the second part of the test. Pinch from all sides. It turns out the envelope.
- The dough is unrolled 90 ° and begins to gently roll up to a thickness of 1 cm, constantly sprinkling flour on the surface so that the rolling pin does not stick to the dough and does not tear it.
- The dough is folded three times and placed in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- The cooled dough is again rolled into a thin layer, but in a different direction. They fold it in three times and put it in the fridge. This procedure is repeated up to five times. The more layers there are, the better, since this will prevent the oil from flowing out during baking.
- Step 3 - making croissants. The cold dough is rolled into a rectangular layer 5 mm thick and cut into long triangles with a base of 10 cm. For convenience, they are cut across the juice.
- They put a filling on a wide edge of the triangle (a piece of chocolate, jam) or simply sprinkle it with sugar. Starting from the wide edge, the triangle is rolled up, giving it a bagel shape.
- Step 4 - baking croissants. Leave the croissants for proofing for half an hour in a warm place.
- Heat the oven to 200 °.
- The baking sheet is covered with parchment, croissants are spread on it and smeared with whipped yolk.
- They put croissants in the oven and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
Puff Croissants: A Simplified Recipe
Calorie dishes: 2797 kcal, per 100 g: 314 kcal.
- flour - 500 g;
- milk - 250 ml;
- yeast - 5 g;
- sugar - 25 g;
- salt - 10 g;
- butter - 50 g;
- vegetable oil - 50 g.
- Pour the heated milk into a bowl and dissolve the sugar and yeast in it.
- Pour flour in another bowl, add salt. (From the specified amount of flour, do not forget to set aside a part for rolling). Pour milk mixture and add vegetable oil.
- Knead elastic dough and leave in a warm place to rise.
- Then the dough is divided into eight pieces and a ball is rolled out from each. Leave for a few minutes to raise the dough.
- Melt the butter and let it cool and thicken a little.
- Each piece of dough is rolled into a round layer and greased with butter. Stacked on top of each other. Clean in the refrigerator for half an hour, so that the oil is frozen.
- A pile of juicy spread on a floured table and gently rolled into a round thin juice.
- This is divided into 16 sectors.
- They spread stuffing on a wide edge (or do without it at all) and fold it into a roll, giving it a bagel shape. Leave for proofing for half an hour.
- The oven is heated to 200 °.
- The surface of the croissant is smeared with yolk.
- Bake 30 minutes until a brown crust.
Croissants with chocolate from ready-made puff yeast dough
Caloric content of the dish: 3072 kcal, per 100 g: 410 kcal.
- puff yeast dough - 500 g;
- chocolate - 150 g;
- egg (yolk) - 1 pc .;
- sugar - 25 g;
- butter for greasing the pan.
- The puff pastry is thawed at room temperature.
- Roll into a thin layer.
- Cut into triangles with a wide side of 10 cm.
- Break the bar of chocolate into pieces.
- Chocolate is placed on the wide side of the triangle and the dough is rolled into a bagel-shaped straw.
- Oiled baking sheet. Spread croissants on it.
- Smear croissants with yolk and put in the oven. Bake at 180 ° thirty minutes until golden brown.
Video: Croissants - you will lick your fingers! With chocolate!
Do not be upset if the croissants from the first time do not get such that they bake in bakeries. The main thing - do not give up. After all, as they say, the eyes are afraid, and the hands do!