Frosting is an invention that has literally turned the world of cooking. It is as simple as irreplaceable.
Glaze is applied on cakes, gingerbread, cakes, sweets, cupcakes, marshmallows, etc. Sweet mass not only makes them more beautiful and tastier, but also increases the energy value. And this is despite the fact that, in essence, the glaze is a combination of protein and sugar, tinted and brought to a certain consistency.
Various additives - juice, cocoa, vanillin, low-fat cream, butter, etc. - make it glossy or matte, sweet or sour, transparent or colored
Anyway, colored glaze is not the lot of only professional confectioners. Any housewife can cook it at home.
Colored glaze: basic principles
You can prepare colored glaze in two ways: with heat treatment and without it, because not all pastries require baking. The taste of the glaze will differ slightly, the difference is only in technology and ingredients.
1. Glaze in the absence of processing. You will need: icing sugar, colored fruit or vegetable juice, lemon, egg whites. Powder must first sift, mix with lemon juice and protein. Add fruit juice depending on the desired color. All components should be mixed and applied to pastries.
2 . Glaze processed. It will take: water, granulated sugar and colored juice. Water with sugar is put on the fire and boiled until it starts to thicken. After waiting for the syrup to form in the pan, it is removed and stained with colored juice. This glaze hardens as it cools.
Colored glaze for painting
This is the most common type. Most often, it can be seen in the baking, where you want to draw color with decorative elements. It may seem that such a glaze is similar to the one we used to see on Easter cakes, but this is not there. It is important that it is dense, has a smooth structure and does not crumble. Ingredients:
• chicken egg white - one piece or more, depending on the surface for decoration;
• powdered sugar - 200 grams per protein, then in proportion;
• a tablespoon of lemon juice.
• food colorings.
1. Thoroughly examine the protein, rid it of excess fiber, otherwise it will ruin the whole thing.
2. Powder pass through a sieve. Gradually mix with protein, not forgetting to beat. It is necessary to achieve white.
3. Drip lemon juice and beat for a few more minutes. It is possible to draw thin lines only with thick glaze. You can add more powdered sugar.
4. Add a dye. It is best to apply the coating with a confectionery syringe, you can use a plastic bag or a parchment bag
Gingerbread colored glaze with vanilla
Gingerbread glaze is translucent. Inside it are viewed white stains. It is she who puts the final touch and makes gingerbread just gingerbread, and not some other pastry. The composition of the glaze is very simple. It is very important to properly prepare and apply.
• a glass of sand;
• half a glass of water;
• vanilla powder.
1. Boil water mixed with granulated sugar until large transparent bubbles appear. This usually occurs after the syrup has reached a temperature of more than one hundred degrees.
2. Remove the broth from the heat and cool. Add vanilla or rum or other flavors. The gingerbread is applied when the finger can be dropped into the icing without the risk of getting burned.
3. Gingerbread and large gingerbread are best glazed with a brush. Small - immerse completely and pull out with a slotted spoon.
4. Place the items on the grid and leave for several hours. Surplus glaze will drain and it will harden.
Professional colored glaze
This is what it is called because it is widely used by professional pastry chefs. This type of colored glaze has a dense structure, perfectly retains paint, hardens, but it does not exfoliate and does not break. Ingredients:
• Almond extract - half a teaspoon. You can buy it in stores for confectioners;
• corn syrup;
• two glasses of sand (you can powder);
• milk in the amount of 4 spoons;
1. Thoroughly mix powdered sugar (or sugar) with milk. Get a lot like a viscous paste.
2. Add almond extract and corn syrup. Beat so that the mass becomes brilliant.
3. Lay out the icing in the molds. In each add a dye of the desired color. Similarly, you can use the juice. Use a syringe to paint thin elements, and a brush to cover a large area.
Creamy colored glaze
According to this cooking algorithm, the glaze is not particularly hard, but not soft. It can be tinted, and can be used in its natural form.
• icing sugar - two glasses;
• cream - a little less sugar;
• spoon of butter;
• vanilla powder.
1. Pour the cream into the cooking container. Put the butter in there and heat it to melt.
2. Add powdered sugar and vanilla.
3. Beat with a mixer until the desired consistency is formed. If desired, you can tint the dye.
Fruit Colored Frosting
Below is described the process of cooking raspberry glaze. In fact, it can be virtually anyone: orange, apple, cranberry, strawberry, and even beetroot, carrot, etc. It is important to use only natural juice.
• raspberry juice - half a liter;
• sugar - 650 or 700 grams.
1. Raspberry berries rub through a sieve or wring out with the help of a juicer. It should make pure seedless juice.
2. Boil down with sugar so that you get a thick syrup.
3. Pour into a glass dish. As it cools, the icing will begin to thicken. It is important to catch the right moment to apply.
Cookies with colored icing
There are thousands of cookie recipes. For most of them you can apply any of the above types of glaze. Usually decorating with colored glaze housewives love children's cookies baked specially for the holidays. Bright and colorful slices delight the eye and create an atmosphere of celebration on the table. Ingredients:
• flour - 3 glasses;
• powdered sugar or granulated sugar - 1.5 cups;
• baking powder - one and a half tablespoons;
• soft butter for cookies and a quarter glass for the glaze;
• low-fat cream - 3 spoons;
• salt, vanilla;
1. Stir dry ingredients, add butter, eggs. Chill.
2. Knead a small piece of text, roll it to a thickness of 8 mm. Cut into pieces and spread them on a baking sheet.
3. Bake at 200 degrees. After baking to cool.
4. Mix the cream, milk, butter and sugar. Beat to make the mixture thick and smooth. Add dyes if necessary.
5. Dip the biscuit pieces in the icing and leave to set.
Yogurt cake with colored icing
The glaze is used here crimson, although you can apply different tastes depending on the yogurt, which will form the basis of the cake.
• flour - three glasses;
• thick raspberry yogurt - two glasses;
• two glasses of powder or sand;
• chicken egg;
• fresh juice - a large cup;
• 200 grams of sand;
• A tablespoon of semolina.
1. Mix flour with soda, pour soda. Separately add eggs, in the end - yogurt. Stir everything so that the consistency is homogeneous.
2. Put the dough in the pan or in the form and bake at 180 degrees.
3. Squeeze raspberry juice. Add sugar to it and boil. Put semolina and cook a few more minutes, so that the glaze has gained final density.
4. Cool the cake and pour over the icing. So that it does not flow, you can not cool, and immediately after applying to put in two minutes in the oven.
Orange scones with colorful citrus glaze
This dessert is perfect for breakfast. It is light, very tasty, everything else, completely natural.
• on one and a half glasses of flour and sugar. Flour then you can add;
• melted butter - about 100 grams;
• milk or cream of small fat content - a little less than a glass; • lemon;
• orange and lemon peel;
• baking powder and salt.
• powder - a glass;
• orange juice - 2-3 tablespoons;
1. Pour the baking powder in the flour, add salt and sugar and butter. All grind and mix.
2. Remove the peel from the fruit. Squeeze lemon juice;
3. In the first mixture pour cream, lemon juice and put chopped zest. Knead the dough thoroughly.
4. Form a squared cake. Cut it into 6 pieces. Each will have a square shape. Squares cut diagonally, and the resulting triangles - once again in half. It should be noted that during baking the scones will increase markedly.
5. Bake the triangles for about half an hour.
6. Peel an orange and squeeze juice out of it. Mix the juice, zest and icing sugar. The mixture should be similar in consistency to sour cream. You can adjust the density of powder.
7. Apply glaze to scones with a spoon. In a few minutes it will harden, you can eat dessert.
Homemade Peanuts in Colored Glaze
Treats, known to all since childhood, do not necessarily buy in the store. It can be easily and very quickly prepared at home.
• Peanuts - the desired amount. Standard - half a kilo;
• corn starch - a tablespoon.
• granulated sugar - a tablespoon;
1. Fry the nuts in a pan without butter. You can dry in the microwave or oven.
2. Add sugar to the pan and add water. It should make a syrup that needs to be boiled until thick.
3. Put peanuts in syrup. Add starch and mix everything thoroughly.
4. If necessary, add a food dye, then the icing will be colored.
Colored glaze: Tricks and tips
1. In order not to roll off the surface, the glaze should not be liquid and not thick. You can regulate it with the help of sugar, juice or water. Flowing glaze is good for watering cookies, donuts, pies. Thick is used for drawing, as well as to glue the parts together, for example, in gingerbread houses. 2. Powder is not necessary to buy ready-made. It can be prepared at home, grinding the sugar in a coffee grinder. Grind need a few minutes. After opening the lid, light smoke should escape from the inside. The resulting powder is better to sift, it will save her from lumps.
3. Lemon juice can be an excellent alternative to water. With it, you can also remove excessive sweetness in the taste, if the pastry turned out to be too cloying.
4. The most smooth and uniform glaze is obtained if eggs are added to the composition, and not only white but also yolk. They add shade, make colored glaze dense. However, it is best to dry it in the oven, although sometimes this recipe does not say about it. Salmonella, which is so frightening to those who like raw eggs, already dies at 70 degrees.
5. If the surface of the cake or cake before applying the glaze to smear with jam, it will fall very smoothly, moreover, it will acquire a noticeable shine.
6. If chocolate is included in the composition of the glaze, it is better to take a classic rather than porous one. One spoon of cocoa can greatly increase the consistency of taste.
7. Food coloring is the easiest way to color the glaze. It is also the longest shelf life of the finished product. However, you can give the desired color without the use of chemicals. For example, adding jam, which, moreover, is also fragrant. If a bright orange glaze is required, then the best dye is turmeric mixed with a piece of butter.