Meat before frying on the grill must be marinated. This process has several goals. First, people try to soften the meat fibers so that the meat roasts faster, not having time to burn from above, remaining juicy inside. Secondly, each type of marinade allows you to give the meat a unique taste. Mustard marinade for kebabs is chosen by those who love spicy and savory dishes with a spicy flavor. In addition, this ingredient allows you to speed up the process of softening meat.
Make the composition for marinating kebabs with the addition of grain, powder, table or Dijon mustard. The choice of component depends on the specific recipe and allows you to get a different result. In order to avoid mistakes, you must correctly prepare the mustard marinade and marinate the meat well in it, you must follow the recommendations accompanying the selected recipe. However, the knowledge of several important points is useful in any case.
- If you want kebabs to have a sharp taste, choose marinade recipes with mustard powder or table mustard (in the form of sauce). Table mustard is better to take the traditional ("Russian") or having the name "Vigorous", "Hot", like them. If you take mustard, which is called “Light” or “Gentle”, there is a risk that the meat, pickled in it, will not acquire the desired savory flavor. When you intend only to give the kebab a spicy taste, without making it very spicy, it is better to opt for Dijon or grain mustard.
- Meat should be cut into pieces suitable for stringing on skewers before mixing it with marinade. Considered the best pieces weighing about 50 g.
- Pickling time of kebabs depends on the type of meat and on the specific marinade recipe. On average, chicken meat is marinated for 3-4 hours, pork - 6-8 hours, lamb - 8-10 hours, beef - 12-14 hours. The more marinade in vinegar, lemon, wine and other acidic foods, the faster the meat fibers soften. Onion, soy sauce, fruit juices and mashed potatoes, carbonated drinks also contribute to speeding up the process. Usually the time that is necessary to keep the meat in the marinade, is indicated in the recipes.
- For marinating meat you should not use aluminum cookware. This material reacts with acids to form harmful substances.
Mustard marinade is suitable for any kind of meat, it depends on the specific composition of the sauce, in which the kebab is marinated. If the marinade includes products with a sweet taste, it is usually not used for beef and lamb, but for pork and chicken, it is ideal.
Mustard marinade with onions and wine
- onions - 0, 5 kg;
- dry wine (white - for pork and chicken, red - for beef and mutton) - 150-180 ml;
- salt, seasoning for barbecue - to taste;
- mustard powder - how much will leave.
Method of preparation:
- Wash the meat, cut it into pieces weighing about 50 g. Put it into a container in which you will marinate it.
- Add spices for shish kebab and mustard powder, mix the meat with your hands. Spices and mustard should be enough to cover all the pieces of the future kebab.
- Leave the meat in the spices for half an hour. During this time, free the onion from the husk, grate it or chop it with a meat grinder.
- Through a folded gauze or thin cloth, squeeze the juice from the onion puree.
- Mix onion juice with wine.
- Fill the meat with the mixture. Stir again. An hour before readiness, salt and mix again.
It is enough to hold the chicken in this marinade an hour, pork - 2-3 hours, lamb - 4-5 hours, beef can be left in it for the night. The number of ingredients specified in the recipe is designed to pickle 2 kg of meat.
Marinade for kebab with mustard and soy sauce
- table mustard - 0, 2 l;
- soy sauce - 50 ml;
- onions - 0, 2 kg;
- barbecue seasoning - to taste.
Method of preparation:
- Prepare the meat by washing it out, dried it, peeling it off and cutting into 4-5 cm pieces.
- Sprinkle it with spices for kebabs or spices suitable for the type of meat from which you are going to fry the kebabs.
- Onion, freeing from the husk, cut into rings about 3 mm wide. Remember it with your hands to stand out juice.
- Put the onion to the meat, mix the products.
- Mix mustard with soy sauce in a separate container. Put this mass to the meat. Stir it with your hands so that the sauce covers each piece.
From the amount of ingredients indicated in the recipe, you will get as much marinade as you need in order to marinate 1-1,5 kg of meat. Pork in it to pickle 3-4 hours. If you are cooking kebabs from another type of meat, reduce or increase this time.
Marinade for kebab with lemon and Dijon mustard
- lemons - 2 pcs .;
- Dijon mustard - 40 ml;
- refined vegetable oil - 40 ml;
- salt, spices - to taste;
- honey (optional) - 40 ml.
Method of preparation:
- Squeeze juice out of lemons.
- Mix lemon juice with mustard and vegetable oil. If you want the kebab to be made as if covered with glaze, and acquire a slightly noticeable sweetish note, add honey melted to a liquid state.
- Prepare pork or chicken, cut into pieces suitable for kebabs. For other types of meat, this marinade is not suitable.
- Put the meat in a bowl, sprinkle with spices, mix.
- Pour the marinade, mix again.
Leave the chicken in the marinade for 3-4 hours, pickle the pork in it for 6-8 hours. If you want to marinate more than 1 kg of meat, the amount of ingredients indicated in the recipe will have to be proportionally increased.
Mustard marinade is suitable for kebabs from different types of meat, you just need to find the right recipe. After lying in the mustard sauce, the meat acquires a spicy aroma and savory taste. Also, this component contributes to a better softening of the meat. There are several options for mustard marinade, almost every gourmet will be able to find one that best suits his gastronomic preferences.