Perepechi is a national dish of Udmurt cuisine. Here they are baked in almost every home, served in many cafes. Food is a kind of open pies. Someone notes the similarity of quails with mini pizza, the other they seem like flat baskets with filling. The filling can be any: meat, vegetable and even sweet. Dough for quails can be cooked according to the same recipe, regardless of what they plan to fill. The traditional dough for Udmurt pies is made from rye flour with the addition of eggs and water, but this dough is quickly dried out when cooking products in a gas stove. Previously, quails were baked, not placed deep in the oven, so that they would not be subjected to intense heat (hence the name of the dish). Today, the housewives not only select the appropriate mode of operation of the plate, but also prepare quails from other dough variants, kneading it with milk, kefir, and sometimes even adding yeast to it.
Recipes for dough for quails are not very complex. Even an aspiring hostess will be able to pamper friends and households with this Udmurt dish if she knows and takes into account a few points:
- Traditional quails are made from dough for rye flour, which makes them look very democratic. If authenticity is important to you, make these patties from rye flour or at least from its mixture with wheat flour. If you want to prepare a modern version of the dish, which will look more elegant and noble, you can replace whole wheat rye flour.
- The dough will be softer if it is kneaded not in water, but in milk, kefir, sour cream. To make the base more crumbly, margarine or butter is added to the dough. For a lush base, it is advisable to choose a yeast dough.
- Before forming the products, the dough is allowed to rest for at least 30 minutes, then it will be easier to work with it. It takes even more time for the yeast dough to come up.
- Before you put the quilts on the baking sheet, cover it with parchment, then the finished baking will be easy to remove.
- The dough for baking is rolled into a layer 3-5 mm thick, then circles are cut out with a diameter of about 10 cm. You can simply separate the dough from the dough, roll it into a ball, then roll it into cakes of the desired diameter. The edges of the circles are lifted and sealed with fingers to make “plates” with sides 1-1, 5 cm high. If the dough is rolled out too thin, it will break under the filling, but from thickly rolled dough the patties will not be tasty enough.
- Before baking the re-cakes, they should be pounded at the bottom with a fork so that it does not rise. If you put peas or lentils in baskets, the result will be the same.
- Bake re-cook at a low temperature (180 degrees). Initially, the baking sheet is better placed in the center of the oven. If you notice that the products burn on top, pull the pan down below. If the quilts start to burn the bottom, you need to move the pan above. Find the optimal position, remember it. At the same height, most likely, other confectionery products will be baked well.
First, bake the basis for quails, then fill with filling and return to the oven, bake until tender. When baking quilts, the filling is made with an omelet, except for sweet cakes.
Classic quail recipe
- rye flour - 0, 25-0, 3 kg;
- chicken egg - 1 pc .;
- water - 0, 2 l;
- salt - 5 g.
- Sift flour.
- In a bowl of warm boiled water, break an egg, add salt. Beat with a whisk or fork.
- Make a well in the flour, pour the egg mass into it, Spoon the flour towards the center, mix it with the liquid ingredients. After kneading the dough with your hands.
- When the dough becomes elastic and stops sticking to the hands, sprinkle it with flour, wrap with cling film and leave it for 30-40 minutes.
After the indicated time, the dough can be rolled out, made baskets out of it, dried in the oven, filled with stuffing, filled with omelette and baked in the oven heated to 180 degrees.
Dough recipe for quails from “Buranovsky grandmothers”
- wheat flour - 0, 2 kg;
- rye flour - 0, 2 kg;
- milk - 100 ml;
- water - 100 ml;
- salt - a large shchipot;
- sugar - 20 g;
- chicken egg - 2 pcs .;
- margarine - 100 g.
- Chop the margarine with a knife, place in a bowl.
- Add eggs, salt and sugar. Mash margarine, mixing it with sugar and eggs.
- Add warm water and milk. Stir until almost uniform consistency.
- Add the sifted flour, knead the dough. Pieces of margarine in it should not remain, lumps of flour, too.
Give the dough a rest for 20-30 minutes, after which you can start shaping and baking the quilts. When preparing dough for this recipe, you can refuse the use of rye flour and water in favor of wheat flour and milk, simply by doubling their number.
Dough for baking on kefir
- flour (wheat or in half with rye) - 0, 4-5 kg;
- chicken egg - 2 pcs .;
- salt - 5 g;
- kefir - 0, 2-0, 25 l;
- soda - a pinch.
- Mix soda with kefir - it should be at room temperature or slightly warmer. Therefore, from the refrigerator it should be obtained in advance.
- Sift flour. Mix with salt.
- In kefir break eggs, stir.
- When adding flour, knead the elastic dough that does not stick to your hands.
After half an hour, make dough from a dough with a diameter of 7-9 cm, make baskets of them. Pour into the center of a spoonful of peas. Bake for 10-15 minutes in the oven at 180 degrees, fill with filling, return to the oven and continue to bake until the filling is ready.
The dough for quails is prepared according to simple recipes, even a hostess who has no culinary experience can make it. Quails can be baked for a family dinner or breakfast, they will not be superfluous on the festive table.