Hummus is one of the most popular dishes in the Middle East. It is an oily paste made from chickpeas or other beans. It is eaten, spreading on cakes or scooping pieces of these cakes, like spoons. The canonical recipe for hummus does not exist. Each country has its own traditions of cooking this dish, each housewife has her own favorite recipe. However, the general features of the technology of cooking this dish are still available. If you know how to cook hummus at home, you do not have to wrestle with what to eat. Nut paste is tasty, nourishing and at the same time useful, although it has a fairly high calorie content.
There is no single option for making hummus, but there are still several ingredients that both Israelis and Arab residents use to make it. These are chickpeas or other legumes (peas, beans, lentils), sesame paste (tahina, tahina), lemon juice, garlic, oriental spices, olive oil. The technology of making hummus is simple, but it requires knowledge of some subtleties.
- Chickpeas (chickpeas) cooked for a long time. If you do not soak it beforehand, it will take 6-8 hours to prepare it. Pre-soaking for 10-12 hours will reduce the cooking time by 1, 5-2 times. Peas and beans also need to be soaked, but not necessarily for such a long time, 4-8 hours will be enough.
- In order for chickpeas not soured, the container in which it is soaked must be removed to a cool place, ideally in a refrigerator.
- Chickpeas covered with husk. Some leave it, but to get a gentle hummus it is better to remove it. It will be easy to make, if hot boiled chickpeas pour icy water.
- The water in which the beans were soaked is drained. The product is washed, filled with clean water and then boiled. This will help reduce the likelihood of bloating problems, which often occur after eating legumes.
- When cooking chickpea, water is taken 3 times more than chickpea. When cooking beans and peas, a 2: 1 ratio is considered sufficient. If water boils out before the beans are soft, it needs to be poured. To do this, use warm or even hot boiled water.
- Without this pea paste will not become hummus. Buy this necessary ingredient can not be in every store. If you did not manage to get thin, you can cook it yourself. To do this, sesame seeds are roasted in a dry pan, crushed with a coffee grinder and diluted with either sesame or olive oil to a creamy consistency. Usually a glass of sesame leaves half a glass of oil.
- For the preparation of hummus, the use of oriental spices is required. Almost always they put cumin (cumin) in it, often they add coriander, paprika, cinnamon, turmeric, savory. To uncover the aroma, spices can also be dried in a frying pan, and then ground in a coffee grinder or ground in a mortar.
Hummus is usually served cold, laying out on a dish and making a recess in the center. Pour oil into it, put whole peas of chickpea or pour nuts. Separately served cakes, which can be replaced with sliced vegetables with oblong pieces - they are also convenient to grab flavored pasta.
Chickpea hummus recipe
- chickpeas - 0, 25 kg;
- Tkhina - 0, 22 kg;
- lemon - 1 pc .;
- garlic - 1 head;
- olive oil - 50-100 ml;
- cumin - 5 g;
- coriander - 5 g;
- fresh parsley, paprika, pine nuts - for serving;
- soda - 3 g;
- salt - to taste.
- Rinse chickpeas, cover with plenty of water, put in a cool place for 10-12 hours.
- Fill the chickpeas with clean water so that it covers it completely. Bring to a boil over low heat, boil for 3 minutes, pour out water.
- Fill the chickens with three or four glasses of water, add soda, put it on the stove again. Cook over low heat until soft. Half an hour before salting ready.
- Flip out in a colander, put in a bowl. Fill with ice water. Gently remember chickpeas hands, to clean off the husk from him. It will easily come off and float to the surface.
- Drain water with husk.
- Grind chickpeas with a blender. To make it easier to do, you can add 50-100 ml of cold purified water.
- Wrap the garlic in foil and bake in the oven until soft. This is best done at the time when chickpeas are boiled.
- Put the peeled cloves of baked garlic into the container with chickpeas.
- Grater, remove the lemon zest, squeeze the juice out of it. Send the zest and lemon juice to a container in which chickpeas are located.
- Add ground coriander and cumin. Spread it over the rest of the ingredients.
- Beat it all together.
- Pour the oil in a spoon and whisk until the chickens have the consistency of a thick, oily paste.
- Place on a platter, making a small depression in the center. Put in the fridge for 2 hours.
When serving, sprinkle hummus with chopped greens, pour with oil, and add a handful of pine nuts to the well.
- peas - 0, 2 kg;
- sesame paste - 50 g;
- garlic - 3 cloves;
- chili pepper - 1 pc .;
- lemon juice - 50 ml;
- olive oil - to taste;
- turmeric, cumin, salt - to taste.
- Soak peas from the evening or at least 4 hours before cooking.
- Drain the pea water from the tank in which it was soaked. Fill the product with clean water.
- Put on a slow fire and boil for 1, 5 hours without adding salt. Make sure that the water does not boil, if necessary, topping up.
- With the help of a dip blender, turn the peas into mashed potatoes.
- Squeeze lemon juice into it.
- Finely chop peeled seeds and garlic. Pepper, garlic, seasonings and salt mash thoroughly, add to the peas.
- Beat the peas, combine with sesame paste, beat again.
- If the consistency of hummus seemed to be insufficiently smooth and oily, add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and mix the paste again with a blender.
Put the prepared pasta on a dish, place in the fridge for an hour. When serving food, it is recommended to sprinkle with oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds roasted in a dry frying pan. Hummus prepared according to this recipe will appeal to lovers of savory snacks.
- beans - 0, 25 kg;
- garlic - 3 cloves;
- onions - 100 g;
- olive oil - 100 ml;
- tomato paste - 5 ml;
- sesame seeds - 50 g;
- turmeric - 5 g;
- lemon - 1 pc .;
- cinnamon - a pinch;
- salt - to taste.
- Dry the sesame seeds in a pan, grind them with a coffee grinder, mix with a spoonful of olive oil.
- Soak beans in the morning, rinse in the morning, cover with clean water and boil until soft. Half an hour before cooked, add salt to taste.
- Without waiting for the beans to cool, pour two tablespoons of butter into it, add tomato paste, squeeze the juice from the lemon cut in half and chop with a blender until a homogeneous composition is obtained.
- Peel the onions, chop finely.
- Chop the garlic.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan, fry the onion and garlic in it.
- Add spices to garlic and onion, mix.
- Place the fried vegetables and sesame paste on the beans. Beat it with a blender.
It remains to shift the bean hummus to the dish and cool it by removing it in the refrigerator for several hours. When serving food does not hurt to decorate, sprinkle with finely chopped greens, sesame, sunflower or pumpkin seeds. According to the above recipe, hummus can be made from canned beans.
Hummus is one of the most popular dishes of Jewish cuisine. It is also prepared in other countries of the Middle East. The basis of the dish is chickpeas, which can be replaced with peas, beans, lentils. They are ground in a blender and combined with sesame paste, lemon juice, garlic and spices. The result is a delicious and flavorful paste, which is used in the same way as pate. The dish is suitable for a vegetarian table and for meals during fasting.