Hummus is a very tasty chickpea snack that belongs to Jewish cuisine. The classic dish is prepared with sesame tahini paste, it turns out a kind of sauce-dip. It can be served to a wide variety of vegetables and meat dishes, spread on pita bread, bread or toast. Here are the best classic hummus recipes.
Classic hummus - general principles of cooking
Classic hummus is made from boiled chickpeas, it is also called lamb peas. But there are also alternative versions of the sauce, which is made from beans, one of these recipes is below. In order not to delay the cooking time of peas, it should be soaked well, it is best to pour cold water in the evening. In this case, bring the chickpeas to full softness will turn out in 50-60 minutes.
What else do they put in hummus:
• lemon juice;
• olive or other vegetable oil;
• sesame paste.
All ingredients are ground to a uniform paste. Convenient to do this with a blender. But often use the usual meat grinder, skipping products through it several times. Spices are added at the very end, so as not to overdo it and adjust the desired taste.
Hummus is served with greens, but sometimes a small amount is added inside before chopping. Here you need to be careful not to spoil the color. If you overdo it with parsley, the sauce may turn green.
Hummus: classic recipe with tahini
The classic recipe for hummus contains sesame tahini paste and lemon juice. These ingredients can not be replaced with anything. Spices can be chosen to your taste.
• 150 g chickpeas;
• 1/3 cup tahini paste;
• 4 tbsp. l lemon juice;
• 1 tsp. fine salt;
• 1 tsp. chopped parsley;
• 2 cloves of garlic;
• 0.3 tsp. paprika;
• 10 ml of olive oil.
1. On the eve, pour chickpeas with cold water so that the peas are well swollen.
2. Drain this water, pour the peas into the saucepan. Pour clean water and boil until soft. Chickpeas when pressed should warm up easily. Drain broth, cool. 3. Peel garlic cloves, cut in half.
4. Squeeze the juice out of the lemon, measure the desired amount.
5. Twist the peas with garlic through a meat grinder twice.
6. Or smash it all up to the consistency of a smooth mash.
7. Add salt, paprika, tahini paste and mix thoroughly. You can again interrupt the blender, tastes will unite even better.
8. Transfer the hummus to the serving plate.
9. Top with olive oil. Any other vegetable oil can be used instead.
10. Sprinkle with parsley, chopped very finely. Serve dip to the table!
Hummus: a classic recipe with sesame seeds
It is not always possible to purchase sesame paste, but it can be prepared from ordinary raw sunflower seeds. Only white sesame is used. Also in the classic recipe of hummus there are various fragrant spices, if desired, the number of species can be reduced.
• 200 g chickpeas;
• 3 tbsp. l sesame;
• 0.5 lemon;
• 3 cloves of garlic;
• paprika, cumin, coriander, a mixture of peppers;
• 3 tbsp. l olive oil;
• 0.5 bunch of greens and a little bit for decoration.
1. Soak chickpeas in cold water until well swelling. On average, it will take about eight hours. Then put on the stove, boil until soft, drain the water.
2. Sesame to pour on a dry frying pan, fry until golden brown. It is very important not to overdo the seeds and stir it regularly, there should not be a burr, burnt sunflower seeds will spoil the taste.
3. Ostuchenny sesame need to grind in a coffee grinder or blender. Add olive oil, stir. It turned out almost the paste that we need.
4. Add a little fresh greens to the cooked chickpea, pour all the spices on the list, add about a third of a teaspoon, salt.
5. Squeeze the juice out of the lemon. If the citrus is small or just not very juicy, then use it entirely.
6. Peel the garlic, cut it in half and send to the total mass.
7. Beat all this with a blender to a state of uniform and fluffy puree.
8. Enter the cooked sesame paste, beat again. 9. Shift hummus in a bowl for serving. To the top puree does not dry out, you can additionally drizzle with oil. We decorate with greens.
Lazy hummus: a classic recipe from canned chickpeas
Canned chickpeas are a great alternative to boiled peas. This product allows you to prepare the sauce very quickly and reduce the time at the longest stage of soaking and cooking.
• 2 cups canned chickpeas;
• 1 tbsp. l lemon juice;
• 5 g fresh garlic;
• 20 ml of oil;
• 20 g sesame paste;
• spices and herbs, salt.
1. Drain all liquid from canned peas, pour into a bowl for beating. If the grinder is used for grinding, then we shift it to any convenient dish.
2. Add peeled garlic, pour in lemon juice, lay out the spices and supplement it all with olive oil.
3. Beat the blender for a couple of minutes until the mass turns into a homogeneous slurry.
4. If a meat grinder is used, we do not add liquid ingredients yet, pour in peas with garlic after chopping.
5. Add sesame paste, salt and whip all together.
6. Transfer to a bowl or a salad bowl, decorate with greens.
Hummus: classic recipe with vegetables
This classic recipe for hummus uses roasted vegetables. The sauce is tender, lighter, but very tasty and fragrant.
• 200 g chickpeas;
• one onion;
• three cloves of garlic;
• 0.5 lemon;
• one carrot;
• 0.3 cups sesame paste;
• 30 ml of oil;
• greens and spices.
1. Prepare peas in a standard way: soak well, pour water, boil until soft, release from liquid and cool.
2. Cut the onion and carrot.
3. Pour the oil into the pan, add vegetables. Cook on fire a little less than average. Vegetables should not brown quickly, you need to bring the pieces to softness.
4. Connect the peas with vegetables, add garlic to them. Crush the mass in any convenient way. If a blender is used, it will be particularly successful: fluffy, smooth, creamy 5. Add the sesame paste, add the juice from half a lemon, but you can and more. It is better to try and add to your taste.
6. Add spices: salt, pepper, you can add paprika, aromatic herbs, zira. If you want to give the hummus a brighter color and highlight the presence of carrots in the snack, then add turmeric.
Hummus: classic recipe with avocado
Avocado is a very useful product, and it can also be a wonderful addition to the classic hummus. For the preparation of snacks on this recipe, use a soft and ripe fruit, then everything will turn out at its best.
• 200 g dry chickpea;
• 1 avocado;
• 2 tbsp. l lemon juice;
• 1 clove of garlic;
• 1 tbsp. l ground sesame or pasta;
• 1.5 spoons of butter;
• 0.5 tsp. ground cheese;
• salt and pepper;
• parsley, bread for serving.
1. Prepare the peas according to all the rules: soak, boil, cool. If there is no time for this, then we use canned chickpeas, but we double the amount, that is, we take 400 grams.
2. Peel the garlic, send to the peas.
3. We cut the avocado along the entire perimeter to the very bone, scroll and divide the halves. We stick a knife into the bone, take it out. Spoon rake the pulp, leaving a thin skin.
4. Pure all prepared products with a blender or twist through a meat grinder a couple of times using a sieve with the smallest holes.
5. Add lemon juice, add sesame paste or just fall asleep ground sesame.
6. We introduce salt, we fall asleep zira and pepper. Stir the sauce thoroughly.
7. We shift to a convenient bowl. Since the avocado is an oily fruit, no additional fats were administered. But on top of the dish still need to sprinkle, just one spoon of oil.
8. Decorate with greens, serve to the table with a flat cake sliced into pieces. By the way, hummus is also perfectly combined with thin lavash.
Hummus: classic recipe from beans
If lamb peas are not always possible to find and buy, then the beans are sold in any store, besides it is cheaper. For hummus, it is desirable to choose white varieties, the size of the beans does not matter. Ingredients
• 250 g dry beans;
• 2 cloves of garlic;
• 2 tbsp. l olive oil;
• 1 tsp. lemon juice;
• salt and pepper;
• 0.3 glasses of broth from the beans;
• 1.5 Art. l ground roasted sesame or pasta.
1. Soak the white beans, boil after swelling. Drain, cool.
2. Grind the beans with fresh garlic cloves.
3. Add a little bean broth to the mass, pour in lemon juice.
4. Add olive oil to ground sesame, stir and shift into hummus.
5. Add salt to taste, pepper, mix thoroughly with a spoon or blend again with a blender until the mass looks like a homogeneous pate.
6. Serve with tortillas, vegetables and herbs.
Classic Hummus - Tips and Tricks
• Is hummus too thick? It can be diluted with extra olive oil. If you do not want to increase the fat content of the sauce, then pour a little meat or vegetable broth, you can use carrot or other vegetable juice, with them, too, it turns out delicious.
• It is believed that chickpeas should be cooled in the water in which it was prepared, supposedly it has a positive effect on the taste of the snack.
• If there is no fresh garlic, then dry ground vegetable can be safely added to the hummus. Its quantity is easier to adjust.
• Ready sauce can be combined with a variety of products, changing the classic taste. The following additives are especially popular: cheese, cottage cheese, walnuts and pine nuts.