Cucumbers are among the most affordable vegetables, almost every year they delight our compatriots with a rich harvest. Fresh, they are stored for long, so zealous hostess tend to make some of them for the winter more canned. They marinate the whole fruit, make salads from cut foods. Snacks from vegetables chopped with a knife include cucumbers in Finnish. This mistress is closed for the winter according to different recipes that are not too similar to each other, but all these dishes have a harmonious taste, can be a good addition to potatoes and meat dishes, used as an ingredient for salads. Another advantage of cucumbers in Finnish is the simplicity of their preparation: even an inexperienced cook can easily handle the preparation of such canned food.
If you look through the culinary books of thrifty housewives, you can find several completely different cucumber recipes in Finnish. What unites them is that they all involve the use of cut vegetables and contain a small amount of other essential ingredients. Knowing the general rules for preserving cucumber salads, even a beginning hostess can cope with the preparation of snacks for the winter in Finnish.
- Cucumbers are considered naughty vegetables. When storing cans with them at room temperature, they often “explode”. Compliance with all the rules of canning reduces the risk of such troubles at times. And the main rule is cleanliness. And the vegetables themselves, and the dishes for them must be washed with soda, using a sponge. Banks and lids suitable for them must be further sterilized. Even if the recipe provides for the sterilization of canned food, this precaution will not be superfluous.
- It is necessary to close cucumbers in Finnish with metal lids to ensure tightness; plastic lids will not work for this purpose.
- If you want the cucumbers in the salad to remain crispy, they should not be soaked in cold water for 2 hours before cooking. The more significant the heat treatment is, the less crunchy the vegetables will turn out to be.
- Usually, canned food is cooled upside down under a warm blanket. In such conditions, the billets are subject to additional preservation, which increases their resistance to adverse storage conditions. However, if you want cucumbers to remain as crispy as possible, they often refuse to wrap cans with them. Whether the risk will be justified, you decide.
Cucumbers prepared in compliance with the formulation and technology of canning in Finnish stand well even at room temperature, but it is recommended to keep them in a cool room.
Simple Finnish Cucumber Recipe for the Winter
Composition (6 liters):
- cucumbers - 4, 5-5 kg;
- water - 3 l;
- table vinegar (9 percent) - 0, 4 l;
- salt - 120 g;
- sugar - 0.5 kg;
- bay leaf - 3 pcs .;
- mustard seeds - 20 g.
Method of preparation:
- Wash the cucumbers thoroughly. Feel free to rub them with a brush. If the fruit is heavily contaminated, they can even be peeled. Peel is usually removed from overgrown cucumbers: it is too rough for them.
- Cut cucumbers into columns 2 cm wide or semicircles about 1 cm thick. The nature of the cutting depends on the size of the fruits and the preferences of the culinary specialist.
- Boil water, add spices, salt and sugar. Wait until the water boils again, pour in the vinegar.
- After the next boiling of the contents of the pan, lower the prepared cucumbers into it. Boil them until they change color, becoming olive.
- Sterilize the jars and their lids.
- Fill the jars with cucumbers.
- Once again boil the marinade in which the cucumbers were cooked for 2-3 minutes. Pour them vegetables.
- Hermetically close the jars, turn them over and wrap them. Leave to cool for better preservation.
After cooling, the workpiece can be removed to the pantry or any other place where you store similar supplies. Cucumbers, closed according to this recipe, taste like Bulgarian pickled cucumbers, which were popular during the Soviet era, even in banks, in this case, not whole, but cut fruits.
Cucumber in Finnish with dill
Composition (1 l):
- cucumbers - 1 kg;
- water - 0, 2 l;
- sugar - 0, 2 kg;
- fresh dill - 20 g;
- Apple Cider Vinegar (6%) - 20 ml.
Method of preparation:
- Wash cucumbers. Peel off the skin. You can not remove it all, and strips, then the cucumbers will look prettier and remain more useful.
- Chop the fruit or just cut it into thin circles. Put in pan.
- Wash, dry the dill, finely chop it with a knife, add to the cucumbers.
- Combine sugar, water and vinegar in a separate container.
- Pour marinade over cucumbers, mix. The recipe does not include the use of salt, but if you are not a fan of sweet pickles, you can slightly reduce the amount of sugar and add 2-3 teaspoons of salt.
- Leave the cucumbers for an hour in a cool place.
- Sterilize the jars, fill them with lettuce, tamping.
- Pour marinade left on the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the jars with lids.
- In a clean large-volume pot, lay a cloth, put jars of cucumbers in it. Pour in the water so that its level reaches the shoulders of the cans. Put the pot on the fire, bring the water to a boil. Sterilize half-liter jars with a snack in it for 15 minutes, liter ones - half an hour.
- Carefully remove the jars from the pan, roll up. Leave to cool upside down under a blanket.
Finnish-style cucumbers made according to this recipe can serve as a basis for Asian-style salads, but they are tasty in and of themselves. You can store the workpiece at room temperature.
Finnish savory cucumbers for the winter
The composition (1, 5 l):
- cucumbers - 1 kg;
- fresh dill - 100 g;
- garlic - 4 cloves;
- mustard seeds - 5 g;
- chili pepper - 1-2 pcs .;
- sugar - 60 g;
- table vinegar (9 percent) - 60 ml;
- salt - 20 g.
Method of preparation:
- Wash cucumbers, spices, and greens. Let them dry.
- Cucumbers cut into circles or bars, pepper - thin rings, garlic - plates, dill chop with a knife.
- Combine the ingredients by adding salt, sugar, vinegar and mustard. Leave to marinate for 2 hours.
- Fill prepared jars with snacks, tamp it down, pour marinade.
- Sterilize jars with snacks in boiling water for 20-40 minutes depending on the size of the containers.
- Roll up the cans, turn them over and cover with a blanket.
After cooling, jars of snacks can be kept at room temperature. Cucumbers in this recipe are sharp.
If it often seems to you that pickled cucumbers are too salty and not sweet enough, you should try to close them in Finnish. These snacks have a sweet and sour taste, they are well worth it at room temperature.