Blood sausage is a traditional Ukrainian dish that is surely prepared when a pig is slaughtered.
It takes pride of place on the Christmas table near the jelly and salo.
The finished dish has an unusual taste and dark color. But it is not necessary to start a pig or wait for Christmas to enjoy a delicacy.
Today, blood can be bought in meat markets, and sometimes it is found in stores, albeit in a frozen or dry form.
Homemade Blood Sausage - General Cooking Principles
Blood is the basis of the dish. From it prepare the stuffing with the addition of other ingredients. The consistency is usually weak, the blood coagulates and thickens during cooking. Also added to the mince fat, meat, liver, garlic and onions. Often the meat content is diluted with cereals: decoy, buckwheat, barley. Well, spices add special flavor: salt, pepper, nutmeg, cloves.
How blood sausages are stuffed
For filling homemade blood sausage using the intestine (chereva). They can be thin and thick. Artificial shells are generally not used for this product. Begin guts using a special nozzle for a meat grinder in the form of a tube, the ends are tied with threads. If the nozzle is not, then you can use a funnel with a wide tip or a cut bottle. Minced blood is quite liquid and passes well through a small hole.
How sausage is prepared
Stuffed sausages before cooking must be pierced with a needle in several places. This is done to release air. If the products are not pierced, they will burst during the cooking process.
• boil and fry;
• boil and bake.
The easiest way is to simply cook the sausages and put them in the fridge, and before use, get the right amount and cook further. How to prepare natural shells
The intestines (chereva) need to be cut into pieces up to 1 meter, then rinse well and turn out on the wrong side. Then they need to rub with salt to remove mucus. Do it neatly so as not to hurt. The treated shells are soaked in a solution of vinegar to remove the specific odor. A day is washed. Instead of vinegar, you can also use a solution of lemon juice, a decoction of citrus peels.
Before filling the shells, you need to check their integrity. To do this, we tap water from the tap, with both ends closed with your hands. Water should not appear anywhere.
Recipe 1: “Ukrainian” homemade blood sausage with liver
To make a real blood sausage in Ukrainian is not enough one blood. To dilute the taste will need another liver: light, kidney, you can add the liver.
• 1 kg of pork blood;
• 600 grams of liver;
• 400 grams of fresh bacon;
• 2 bulbs;
• 1 glass of milk;
1. We remove the skin from the fat, it will not be useful to us. Cut into pieces and skip through a meat grinder with a large grid. Or just cut into small pieces no larger than a pea.
2. Put the lard in a frying pan and fry for 10 minutes.
3. Add diced onions. Fry until transparent and cool.
4. Leaver wash, remove the veins and pass through a meat grinder.
5. Mix the fat fried with onion, liver and blood. If the consistency of blood is heterogeneous, then it should be whipped with a blender.
6. Add to the stuffing milk, salt, pepper. Stir once again.
7. Put the sausage cap on the meat grinder, pull the intestine, the tail is immediately tied with a thread and stuffed with sausages. We monitor the density of stuffing. Products must be soft but not empty. The second tip is also tied with thread.
8. We pierce the stuffed products with a needle every 15 cm. We do this carefully so that the gut does not burst. 9. Boil sausages in boiling water for about 45 minutes. Then they can fry until golden brown or bake in the oven.
Recipe 2: Home-made blood sausage with cream
The recipe for tender and juicy creamy sausage with a pronounced aroma of garlic. It can be boiled, baked, fried in a pan or grilled.
• 2 liters of blood;
• 150 grams of garlic;
• 500 grams of cream;
• 1 spoon of salt;
• 1/3 spoon black pepper;
• 300 grams of fat.
Also need about 3 meters of shells.
1. We pour salt into the blood and mix it intensively with a spatula or a whisk.
2. Put a bowl of blood in a water bath. Cook for about half an hour with a slight boil. It should thicken.
3. We put a piece of gauze in a sieve and throw away the blood. We are waiting for the excess fluid to drain.
4. Clean the garlic, fat, cut into pieces and grind it all together with boiled blood.
5. Stir the cream with black pepper.
6. In the resulting mince cream add, stir a lot.
7. Fill the guts, pierce with a needle and boil for 20 minutes.
Recipe 3: Homemade blood sausage with buckwheat
For the preparation of such a blood sausage at home will require buckwheat porridge. It should be crumbly, not boiled. Also added a little pork.
• 1 liter of blood;
• 350 grams of meat (pork);
• 500 grams of lard or pork fat;
• 2 cups buckwheat porridge;
• 2 bulbs;
• 1 spoon of vinegar;
• 200 grams of cream.
1. Salo cut into large pieces and fry slightly. Remove the pieces and fry the chopped onions in this fat. Cool slightly.
2. Pork with bacon and onions skipped through a meat grinder.
3. Mix the blood with vinegar, shake well and combine with meat products.
4. Add the minced blood, buckwheat porridge, cream. Mix well. The mass will turn out quite liquid. This is normal. 5. Fill the minced spices. It goes well with black pudding, black pepper, nutmeg, cloves. And, of course, do not forget about salt.
We begin to gut, pierce and cook in boiling water for about 50 minutes. If you used a thick neck, then extend the time by 15 minutes.
Recipe 4: Blood Sausage at Home with Decoy
Semolina increases the output of homemade blood sausage, remarkably thickens minced meat, but it does not greatly affect the final taste. Boil the semolina is not necessary, it adds the grits.
• 3 liters of blood;
• 2 cups of semolina;
• 2 heads of garlic;
• 1.5 tablespoons of salt;
• 1.2 kg of fat;
• spices, round.
1. Remove the pelt from the fat. Cut into slices and put in a saucepan. Fill with boiling water so that the water slightly covers the product. Boil 10 minutes, cool.
2. Clean the chives. To taste, you can add more or reduce the amount specified in the recipe.
3. We twist the bacon through the meat grinder with garlic.
4. The blood must be shaken up with a whisk along with salt. If she has already managed to curl up and a lot of clots, then also twist or punch through a blender.
5. Combine the greasy mixture with blood, add the semolina, fill the mince with spices and set aside for half an hour so that the semolina swells.
6. We start the round in the usual way, do not forget to pierce. Such a sausage is prepared for long, it is enough to boil for half an hour in boiling water.
Recipe 5: Home-made blood sausage with mushrooms
This dish is a real explosion of taste. The blood sausage for this recipe is very nourishing, and it has a pronounced aroma of forest mushrooms. We will cook on dried mushrooms, but similarly, you can use fresh gifts of the forest.
• 2 kg of blood;
• 100 grams of dried mushrooms;
• 400 grams of fat;
• garlic head;
• salt, spices;
• 3 eggs.
1. Pre-fill with water mushrooms. They must stand for at least 3 hours. Then boil them in the same water for 20 minutes. We take out from broth, but we do not throw out mushroom broth, we still need it. 2. From the fat, remove the skin, skip through a meat grinder and fry for 10 minutes in a frying pan.
3. Separately, grind the peeled garlic cloves and boiled mushrooms. If you want to feel them in a sausage, then you can not pass through a meat grinder, but simply chopped. For more flavor mushrooms can be lightly fried in a pan.
4. Add salt, garlic to the blood and stir vigorously.
5. Eggs are well shaken with a whisk.
6. Combine all the ingredients for mince, add spices to the mass: black pepper, a little ground coriander, nutmeg.
7. Pour half a glass of mushroom broth, mix the minced meat well and fill the shells!
8. Cooked sausages boil half an hour in the water.
Recipe 6: Home-made Blood Sausage with Rice
Another option for cooking Ukrainian sausages with cereals. This time rice is used, it is better to take with round and medium-sized grains. According to the recipe in the minced pork peritoneum is added, but you can take any other piece of fresh bacon.
• 2.5 liters of pork blood;
• 2 glasses of dry rice;
• 500 grams of peritoneum;
• 500 grams of onions;
• 5 eggs;
• 2 glasses of milk.
1. Boil rice in salted water, recline in a colander, cool.
2. Grind the peritoneum in a meat grinder, fry 5 minutes in a frying pan. Skins with fat can not be removed.
3. Shred the onion in small cubes, send to the fat and fry together. It is not necessary for a long time, we do not allow the appearance of dry greaves. Cooling down.
4. Break eggs into a bowl, add milk, mix all spices and beat.
5. Combine the blood, boiled rice, fried onion with lard and egg mixture. Also in the stuffing you can put a little fresh garlic. We take out the stuffing in the cold, about an hour.
6. Fill the guts with minced meat, tie the tips, pierce with a needle. It is very important not to pack tightly, as the rice in the cooking process will swell a little more.
7. Cook homemade blood sausage for about 40 minutes. Then you can grease and bake in the oven.
Blood Sausage at Home - Tips and Tricks
• For cooking homemade sausages, it is not necessary to use fresh blood. You can purchase dried food albumin. Blood is a powder that requires dilution in a liquid. The product is remarkably stored in a dry place for 2-3 years.
• To prevent the shells of the finished sausages to dry out, after boiling, the surface is rubbed with vegetable oil. The same technique is used to protect the product from bacteria.
• No time to make sausage? Salt the blood well, mix and refrigerate. As such, it will remain fine for 3 days. But in the process of cooking, do not forget that salt is already present. Therefore, it is desirable to remember the right amount or immediately add spices according to the recipe of sausage.
• Salt will also help preserve natural guts. They are poured abruptly, put in an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator. In this form, they will lose their elasticity and strength only after a year.
• Blood does not lose its taste and properties after thawing. Therefore, the surplus can always be removed to the chamber and there they will be remarkably preserved for up to a year.
• To make a ruddy and crisp crust on the baked sausage, grease the product with butter or simply spread small pieces on the surface before sending it to the oven.