Behind this unusual name is a recipe for a frozen Italian dessert, similar to ice cream and sabion cream. It was on the basis of Sabayon that the Florentine architect and sculptor Buontalenti invented Italian ice cream.
From the usual gelato ice cream differs more delicate and at the same time dense texture and minimal amount of milk fat.
It can not be stored for a long time, because its structure is broken, and this affects the quality. For the same reason, gelato is not manufactured on an industrial scale. This dessert is made by specially trained masters in gelateria and served to the table immediately after cooling.
Gelato is prepared on the basis of sugar, cream and milk with the addition of yolks. Additional ingredients in it are berries, nuts, chocolate, vanillin, raisins, zest, fresh fruit.
And for those who do not like sweets, there are recipes with cheese, basil, olive oil or red wine.
Gelato at home is prepared in ice cream makers. But if there is no such device in the household, dessert can be prepared just like regular ice cream.
Gelato: cooking details
- For this dessert, you can take both 33 percent cream and less fat.
- In order for gelato to have a uniform structure, during cooking on a fire, the yolk mixture is not brought to a boil and cooked only in a water bath. In order to not feel the pieces of the boiled egg in the finished dessert, the mixture after the heat treatment is filtered through a sieve.
- In the process of freezing it is mixed several times. You can use a mixer and beat the mixture at low speed, preventing the appearance of abundant foam.
- egg yolks - 4 pcs .;
- cream of 33 percent - 250 ml;
- milk - 200 ml;
- sugar - 100 g;
- vanillin - to taste;
- cocoa - 50 g;
- chocolate - 50 g.
- Separate the yolks from the proteins. Combine the yolks with 50 g of sugar and vanilla.
- Beat the mixture with a mixer until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour cream, milk into a small saucepan, and add the remaining sugar. In a water bath, warm to hot.
- While stirring constantly, add the egg mixture.
- As soon as the mass becomes homogeneous, add cocoa and mix thoroughly, avoiding boiling.
- Put the broken chocolate into pieces and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the water bath and place in a container with cold water so that the mass is completely cooled, not forgetting to stir it.
- Then cover the saucepan with cling film and refrigerate for two hours.
- Beat the cooled gelato with a mixer and put into the freezer for another two hours, and then beat again.
- Put the dessert in shape and put in the freezer for a few hours.
- Spread the gelato in the molds and serve.
- egg yolk - 6 pcs .;
- milk - 500 ml;
- cream - 200 g;
- sugar - 250 g;
- lemon - 2 pcs .;
- Lemon liqueur or lemon essence to taste.
- Remove the zest from the lemons, put in the milk and heat almost to the boil.
- To remove the zest, use a strainer. Pour milk into a cup and let it brew for 10 minutes.
- Combine yolks with sugar and beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Gradually pour milk into the yolks and whisk at minimum speed.
- Place the mixture in a water bath and, stirring, boil until thickened, but do not let it boil.
- Put the saucepan in a bowl of cold water and cool completely. Stir.
- Cold cream whip until frothy and add a few drops of essence or liqueur to taste.
- Combine yolk mixture with cream, mixing from top to bottom.
- Put the gelato in the freezer for two hours. When the ice cream freezes, whisk again and put into the freezer again. Repeat the beating (or stirring) several times, then the mixture will be homogeneous and without ice crystals.
- Put the finished gelato in the bowls.
- milk 3, 2 percent - 250 ml;
- cream of 33 percent - 250 ml;
- sugar - 150 g;
- yolks - 4 pcs .;
- vanillin - to taste.
- Combine milk, cream and half the rate of sugar.
- Put it on the fire and bring it almost to the boil. Put vanilla.
- Remove the milk mixture from the stove and cool slightly.
- Beat yolks with sugar with a mixer until creamy.
- Continuing to beat, pour in milk mixture.
- Pour everything into a container and put it in a water bath. Cook, stirring, until the mass thickens. In no case should boil the mixture.
- Place the container with the thickened mass in a bowl with cold water and, while stirring, cool.
- Store in freezer for 2 hours. Then whisk or mix the mixture with a fork and again put in the freezer. Stir the mixture from time to time so that it becomes a more homogeneous consistency.
- Put the finished gelato in the bowls and serve.
Based on these recipes, you can always make ice cream with a completely new flavor. For example, add another flavor, instead of cocoa, put coffee, lemon, replace with orange or mix the cream with whipped strawberries. It is enough just to show imagination.