The technology of making an Egyptian cake is not easy. Manufacturing takes a lot of time, but the result is worth it. If someone asks you, what is remarkable about such a dessert, you can safely say that there are few others that are as sweet. Caramel or nut crumb in a cream resemble the sand grains of the Egyptian deserts, for which the cake got such an exotic name.
Egyptian Cake - General Cooking Principles
• The dough for the nut cakes is prepared only on the basis of proteins fluffed with sugar, in which the nut crumb interferes. Flour is added only in small quantities or not used at all.
• Thick protein dough is placed with a thin layer on parchment, on which the contours of the future cake are drawn in advance with a simple pencil. It is not recommended to grease the paper with oil or sprinkle with flour, otherwise it will be difficult to separate it from the baked piece. To get the smooth edges of the dessert, you can use the form, the bottom of which must be lined with parchment paper.
• Before placing the dough in the oven, it must be heated by setting the temperature to strictly 180 degrees. On baking one cake takes about 20 minutes. The degree of readiness is checked by light pressure on the surface - it should spring up and not stick.
• Cakes are coated with two types of cream: custard and cream. Choux cream mass is prepared from the remaining, after preparing the dough, yolks, in milk with the addition of butter. For butter cream, well-cooled cream is whipped with sugar until a dense, non-flowing mass is obtained.
• The most noticeable component of the Egyptian cake is a crispy layer of caramel and nuts. It is made from separately cooked sugar caramel, which is crushed and mixed with finely chopped nuts and butter cream. Often from sugar and nuts praline is boiled. After solidification, it is crushed, interrupting with a blender.
• When forming a dessert, the cakes are smeared in a special way. First, custard is applied to the nut billet, then lubricated with cream, which is pre-mixed with caramel crumb or praline. The surface of the dessert line custard. Egyptian cake is decorated with caramel or praline slices. • After making the dessert, they must be allowed to stand in the refrigerator for at least four hours, so that the cakes are soaked and the cream layer is frozen.
• Dough and cream never tint and do not add fillers. For a change, you can experiment with the taste of caramel or praline. Caramel mass for the Egyptian cake can be cooked not only from sugar, a special taste, color and aroma give it honey or juice. Cocoa can be added to the praline, it will enhance the dessert with a delicate chocolate flavor.
A classic Egyptian cake recipe with caramel
• nine proteins;
• one and a half tablespoons of flour;
• 150 gr. peeled nuts;
• granulated sugar - 230 grams.
• nine yolks;
• 2/3 packs of oil;
• 250 gr. sugar sand;
• five large spoons of premium flour
• bag of vanilla powder;
• 350 ml of milk.
For the nut layer:
• chopped nuts - 120 gr .;
• incomplete glass of sugar;
• 350 ml high-fat liquid cream.
1. Using a blender or a coffee grinder, smash the nuts into fine chips, divide it in three equal parts.
2. Beat three proteins, gradually pouring a third of the sugar to them. The whipped protein mass has a dense structure and a characteristic glossy sheen.
3. Add a third of the chopped nuts, add 0.5 tablespoons of flour, and stir in the newly added ingredients into the proteins, being careful. This should be done without allowing the protein mass to settle.
4. Cover a small thick-walled pan or split form with parchment and lay out the protein dough, smooth it. Be sure to moisten the paper with vegetable oil, otherwise it will be difficult to separate from the cake.
5. After placing the dough in a hot oven, and maintaining the temperature of 170 degrees, bake the cake. Baking will take from 15 to 20 minutes, the finished billet should be well browned.
6. Hot cake release from the form. Do not try to immediately remove the parchment, first lightly moisten the paper with a napkin, and then immediately remove. Do not wait for the billet to cool.
7. In the same way, bake two more cakes.
8. For cream, beat the yolks and sugar, add milk, add flour with vanilla, stir and put on very low heat. Intensely stirring, bring the mixture to a boil. Stand aside from the heat and do not stop stirring for another two minutes. Capacity with thickened cream tighten the film and leave to cool. 9. In the cooled cream, whipping with a mixer, gradually add softened butter.
10. Cook the caramel. Pour the sugar into a thick-walled skillet or stew-pan and place on medium-low heat. While stirring, warm the sugar until it melts completely. Then reduce the heat and, without ceasing to stir, boil down to the formation of a light cream shade. Watch the color carefully, the burned-out sugar will taste bitter.
11. Pour the finished caramel onto a greased sheet of parchment and leave to solidify. Then cover it with another sheet of parchment and roll with a rolling pin. Do not overdo it, do not need to turn the caramel into a crumb, enough to crush into small pieces.
12. Mix whipped cream until noticeable, mix with chopped nuts and caramel. Do not add all the sweet crumb, leave a little for decorating the cake.
13. Collect the cake. Place one billet on the dish and cover with custard. Cover it with a small amount of creamy mass with caramel and nuts. Lay on top of another cake, in the same way, and promezhte it. Apply a thinner layer onto the last cake.
14. Top and sides of the cake plentifully blot with a creamy mass and sprinkle with postponed caramel.
15. To improve the taste and impregnation, place the dessert for three hours in the cold.
Egyptian praline cake recipe
• ten proteins;
• 60 gr. wheat flour;
• granulated sugar - a glass with a slide;
• 0.25 spoons of salt;
• 200 gr. peeled nuts.
• white flour - 100 g .;
• teaspoon of vanilla extract;
• a glass of sugar;
• ten yolks;
• 2/3 packs of high fat oil;
• milk - 300 ml.
For the praline layer:
• 400 ml of cream maximum fat content;
• three spoons of sugar, homemade powder;
• hazelnuts (hazelnuts) - 150 g;
• 150 gr. sugar.
1. Spread the walnut kernels in an even layer over a thick-walled frying pan and set on very low heat. Warm up for a minute, turn to the other side and fry too. Then remove from the plate, spread on the parchment and leave. Chop the cooled nuts with a knife. For a smaller crumb, use a blender. Divide the nut crumb into two parts. 2. Take five eggs, and carefully break the shell. Collect the whites in a clean, dry bowl, and transfer the yolks to another container with a lid, they will be needed for the cream.
3. Add salt to the proteins and, from the lowest revolutions, start to beat with a mixer. When a fluffy mass is formed, incrementally increasing the speed and pouring no more than a spoon, enter half the normal amount of sugar.
4. Mix one part of the nut crumb with 30 grams of the oversized flour, transfer to the protein mass and, with careful “folding” movements, mix in.
5. Transfer the dough onto a parchment lined tray. Using a spatula, distribute it in a uniform rectangular layer, half a centimeter thick, or a little more.
6. At 180 degrees in a preheated cupboard bake cake. Time for baking will take no more than 20 minutes, and maybe less. With light pressure, a well baked cake should spring up.
7. Drag the parchment with the workpiece onto the grid and leave it to cool. Remove the paper from the cooled cake.
8. From the remaining products, bake another batch of the same size and shape.
9. Brew cream. Put the yolks back into the bowl. Pierce the shell with a fork, add a third of a glass of cold milk and mix.
10. Flour with three spoons of granulated sugar mix into the yolks. Stir well, you should get a homogeneous rare mass. Add milk if necessary.
11. Pour the remaining milk into a saucepan, add 75 grams of sugar and, stirring, bring to a boil.
12. Intensely beat the egg mixture, pour into it a hot, almost boiling milk in a thin stream.
13. Pour the creamy base into a saucepan and, while still stirring, warm it until it thickens.
14. Pour the cream into a clean bowl, add the vanilla and mix well. Cover the surface with a film, cool.
15. Beat the cooled base with a mixer, and add the softened butter in portions. Cover the resulting smooth cream with a lid and place in the refrigerator for half an hour.
16. Prepare praline. Pour sugar into a thick-walled frying pan and spread over its bottom in an even layer. At the minimum heat bring sugar to dissolve, then continue to warm up constantly stirring. When the caramel becomes amber, add hazelnuts, mix well and remove from heat. 17. On the parchment, lay a thin layer of caramelized nuts, cool. Then break the frozen layer into pieces and crush with a blender into a crumb.
18. To thick peaks, whip the cream, adding to them freshly prepared icing sugar. Pour two-thirds of the praline into a creamy mass and mix well.
19. Cut the cooled walnut cakes in half. The result will be four identical blanks.
20. Transfer one of them to a wide dish and mix it with custard. Top with a creamy creamy mass of praline and cover with another preparation.
21. So fold the whole cake. Level the surface of the cake and its sides with brewed cream and sprinkle with previously deferred praline.
Egyptian cake recipe without flour
For one cake:
• three proteins;
• 60 gr. almond;
• three tablespoons of beet sugar.
• 3/4 packs of oil;
• six yolks;
• 300 ml of milk;
• two spoons of starch;
• vanilla powder - 1 gr. (optional).
In the creamy mass:
• 150 gr. finely chopped almonds;
• a glass of high fat cream;
• refined sugar, fine - 150 gr.
1. Crush the almonds.
2. Beat whites and sugar into a dense mass with a characteristic glossy shine and gently mix into it the almond crumb. For this stage, it is better to choose fine sugar and add it gradually, then it will dissolve well and will not spoil the cake.
3. Put the nut-protein mass on a baking sheet covered with parchment, smooth it. The test layer should not be more than 0.7 cm, choose the form yourself. You can draw a circle on paper in advance and distribute the dough over it. As a template, take the appropriate size of the shape or plate.
4. Bake the cake together with the parchment, drag it onto the table and leave to cool completely, and put a new batch of dough on the baking sheet and bake another billet. Remove the parchment only after complete cooling of the cake.
5. For an Egyptian cake you need three such blanks.
6. Shake yolks with sugar in foam. Dissolve corn starch in cold milk. Combine both mixtures, mix thoroughly and place on moderate heat. As soon as the mass begins to boil, lower the flame level to a minimum and continue to boil until thick. To prevent the cream base from burning, continuously stir it with a spoon with a long handle, trying to separate it from the bottom. 7. Cover the brewed mass with a film and bring it to room temperature on the table. After that, whiping combine with soft oil.
8. Over low heat in a pan, dissolve sugar and bring it to amber. Then pour on the parchment moistened with vegetable oil, and lightly spread it. The cooled caramel break into pieces. Leave a little to sprinkle, and roll the rest with a rolling pin through a sheet of parchment to form a fine crumb.
9. Stir in finely chopped almonds, mixed with caramel chips in whipped cream.
10. Shape a cake by spreading cakes with custard, a layer of which must be lubricated with caramel and cream mixture. Align the surface and sides of the dessert with custard and sprinkle with a layer of peeled caramel pieces.
Recipe for a low-calorie Egyptian cake with a delicate chocolate flavor
• three nutty cakes baked according to the first recipe.
• one egg;
• 30 gr. baking flour;
• granulated sugar - a little more than half a glass;
• 300 gr. fatty 30% sour cream;
• sweet cream butter - 200 gr .;
• bag of crystalline vanilla.
In chocolate praline:
• half a cup of refined sugar;
• a teaspoon of cocoa powder;
• peeled almonds - 100 gr.
• half a cup of sugar.
1. Spread the egg with sugar in a small metal bowl or saucepan and place on a light heat. As soon as the mixture begins to boil, add flour, grind and continue to simmer.
2. After about a minute, add sour cream to the mixture, add vanilla, mix well and wait until the very beginning of boiling. Do not boil! Protome the cream base with minimal heat and, as soon as it thickens, remove from heat and cool.
3. In a separate dish using a mixer, combine the pieces of softened butter into a homogeneous mass. Then, still beating and adding a spoon, enter the entire brewed base.
4. Prepare a chocolate praline. Pre-roasted, well-cooled almonds, put in a thick-walled stew-pan, add sugar and place on low heat. 5. Constantly stirring, wait until the crystals are completely dissolved and the syrup becomes sticky. Check for readiness by dripping viscous sugar syrup into the water.
6. Put a hot, slightly volatile mixture on a parchment in a thin layer. When it hardens, break it into pieces and smash with a blender, adding cocoa.
7. From granulated sugar, boil a slow, amber syrup over low heat. Just like the walnut praline, transfer it to parchment and cool it, then finely break it.
8. Put one of the nut cakes on the dish. Smear it with sour cream. Sprinkle half of the praline on top and place another cake, cover with cream and sprinkle with chocolate praline. Put the last, third crust with a thin layer of cream, smooth the sides of the dessert with it.
9. Decorate the cake by sprinkling caramel over the entire surface.
Recipe for honey caramel for an Egyptian cake
• any liquid honey - 50 gr .;
• 80 gr. fine sugar refined sugar.
1. Transfer the honey to a small saucepan with a thick or multi-layered bottom. Pour all the sugar, put on medium-low heat and boil until the sugar is completely melted and combined with honey.
2. After that, slightly reduce the heat and boil the honey syrup. To check the readiness of the caramel mass, drip a little syrup onto the water. If it does not fade, and slowly sinks to the bottom - ready.
3. Spread a thin layer of hot honey caramel over the silicone mat or greased parchment and let it harden.
How to make fruit or berry caramel for an Egyptian cake
• eight tablespoons of fine sugar;
• three spoons of any juice, without pulp;
• juice 1/4 medium lemon.
1. Combine all the ingredients in a small thick-walled pot and put it to warm over medium heat, ensuring complete dissolution of sugar.
2. Reduce heat and continue cooking until the caramel has a golden hue.
3. Next, distribute the hot caramel mass in a uniform thin layer on the silicone mat, and let it cool well. Later use according to the recipe of the cake. 4. If dark juice was used in the preparation, it will be difficult to determine color readiness. Put a little boiled syrup on the surface of the water, if the drop does not spread - the caramel is ready.
Egyptian Cake - cooking tips and helpful tips
• Protein mass will beat better if you use fine sugar.
• Before cooking the dough, be sure to wipe the bowl well. In contaminated or wet dishes, whites will not beat.
• Interfere with flour and nut crumb in the protein mass extremely carefully, trying not to disturb its airiness. Otherwise, the cakes will not rise and will be hard.
• Never lubricate the parchment, as this will make removal difficult. Remove the paper only after complete cooling of the nut cakes.