Sweet cherry, or bird cherry, is a tree belonging to the Rosaceae family. Researchers still disagree on when and where this plant was introduced into culture. Nevertheless, the modern territories of Switzerland, Turkey and Denmark are most often called the motherland of bird cherry.
Sweet cherry is a tree reaching a height of 10 meters. The straight stem of the plant is covered with greyish-brown or burgundy bark, dotted with lentils and stripes. The green leaves of bird cherries, sitting on long petioles, have an elongated ovoid or oval shape. Cherry blossoms at the end of spring with beautiful white flowers, gathered in small umbrellas inflorescences.
The fruit of the bird cherry is a spherical, oval or heart-shaped drupe with a juicy sour-sweet pericarp. The color of the berries can vary from pale yellow to dark burgundy, almost black. The fruits of the plant fully ripen by the end of June - mid-July.
Most often, sweet cherry is eaten in its raw form. In cooking, the berries of this plant are used to make jams, wines, jams, compotes, juice, fillings for baking and confectionery. In addition, the well-ripened fruits of bird cherries are dried and frozen.
Nutritional value of sweet cherries and vitamins in its composition
Nutritional value 100 g of sweet cherries:
- 85, 612 g of water;
- 10, 573 g of carbohydrates;
- 0, 356 g of fat;
- 1, 074 g of proteins;
- 1, 089 g of fiber;
- 0, 577 g of organic acids;
- 0, 466 g of ash;
- 0, 092 g of starch, dextrins;
- 10, 412 g of sugars;
- 0, 021 g of omega-3 fatty acids;
- 0, 026 g of omega-6 fatty acids.
Vitamins per 100 g cherries:
- B6, pyridoxine - 0, 043 mg;
- C, ascorbic acid - 6, 562 mg;
- B4, choline - 6, 034 mg;
- K, phylloquinone - 2, 078 mcg;
- B1, thiamine - 0, 024 mg;
- A, retinol equivalent - 2, 784 mcg;
- B5, pantothenic acid - 0, 194 mg;
- PP, niacin equivalent - 0, 152 mg;
- B9, folates - 3, 572 mcg;
- E, tocopherol equivalent - 0, 067 mg;
- B2, riboflavin - 0, 031 mg.
In 100 g of fresh or frozen sweet cherry contains 52, 101 kcal. The average weight of the berries of this plant is 8 g. Thus, the energy value of one fruit is 4, 168 kcal.
100 g of cherry jam or jam contains 242, 408 kcal. The caloric content of 100 g of compote made from birds of bird cherry is 28, 744 kcal, juice is 51, 656 kcal, wine is 84, 323 kcal. In 100 g of dried cherries contains 248, 639 kcal.
Useful items in sweet cherry
Trace elements in 100 g of sweet cherries:
- iron - 0, 347 mg;
- copper - 59, 021 mkg;
- fluorine - 1, 919 mcg;
- zinc - 0, 062 mg;
- manganese - 0, 063 mg.
Macroelements in 100 g of sweet cherries:
- potassium - 221, 981 mg;
- magnesium - 10, 593 mg;
- phosphorus - 20, 043 mg;
- calcium - 12, 883 mg.
Useful properties of sweet cherry
- Avian cherries contain coumarins that reduce blood clotting and prevent blood clots.
- Sweet cherry is a rich source of iron. When iron deficiency anemia is useful to eat 200-300 grams of berries per day.
- Sweet cherries contain compounds that improve GI motility and increase appetite. Berries are quickly digested without overloading the digestive system.
- Hot cherry compote, boiled without sugar, is an effective antitussive. The drink helps to reduce the viscosity of sputum, facilitate its discharge.
- Fruits of bird cherry - a storehouse of vitamins, useful micro and macro elements. By regularly consuming them for food, it is possible to avoid vitamin deficiency.
- Potassium and other substances that enter the human body during the consumption of cherries strengthen the heart muscle, give extra strength and elasticity to the walls of blood vessels, regulate the heart rate. This significantly reduces the risk of developing cardiac disorders.
- Avian cherries contain blood pressure regulating compounds. In hypertension or hypotension, it is helpful to eat a handful of well-ripened fruits daily.
- In traditional medicine, sweet cherry and squeezed juice is used as a diuretic and decongestant.
- Maroon fruits of bird cherry contain substances that reduce cholesterol levels in the blood. This significantly reduces the risk of atherosclerosis.
- Folk healers advise using cherries as a means of alleviating the pains of gout, arthritis, rheumatism. To achieve a therapeutic effect, the crushed fruits of the plant are laid out on a plastic wrap and a compress is applied to the diseased area for 2-3 hours.
- Avian cherry fruit juice has astringent properties. With this drink you can get rid of diarrhea.
- Sweet cherry contains nutrients that speed up metabolism and prevent the occurrence of exchange failures.
- Unlike cherries, cherries do not provoke heartburn in people suffering from duodenal ulcer or stomach, gastritis.
- Sweet cherry juice is used to treat spastic colitis - inflammation of the tissues of the large intestine, accompanied by spasms. For therapeutic purposes, take 3 tbsp. spoons of this drink per day.
- B vitamins and other nutrients found in bird cherry berries reduce the risk of nervous system malfunction. People who regularly include the fruits of this plant in the menu tolerate stress and psycho-emotional upheavals more easily, rarely face manifestations of depression and insomnia.
- Cherry contains nutrients that activate collagen production in the body. Regular consumption of these berries helps to improve skin condition and reduce the risk of developing diseases of the connective tissue and joints.
- Sweet cherry helps to ease the unpleasant symptoms of psoriasis and eczema. Mashed berries puree spread on the affected area of the body for 20 minutes, then washed off. The procedure is repeated once every 12 hours.
- Avian cherries contain compounds with anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Therefore, dishes prepared from the fruits of this plant are useful for people suffering from inflammatory diseases of internal organs.
- Cherries are rich in polyphenols, the most powerful antioxidant compounds of plant origin. Studies show that with their regular entry into the body reduces the risk of tumor neoplasms, slowing down the aging process.
- Bird cherries are rich in nutrients that stimulate the liver and kidneys.
- Cherry contains substances that accelerate the elimination of poisons, radioactive substances, toxins from the body.
- Bird cherries have tonic properties. The inclusion of its fruits in the diet helps the body to recover faster after diseases, operations, heavy physical exertion, mental fatigue.
Use of sweet cherry in cosmetology
- Masks are prepared from the cherry tree to intensively moisturize the skin of the face. Juice squeezed from maroon berries, combined with honey and peach oil (4: 1: 2), insist in a brown glass container for 48 hours. The mixture obtained is impregnated with a cotton pad and the face and neck are treated. Mask hold about 20 minutes.
- Sweet cherry pulp is an effective remedy for narrowing enlarged pores. Gruel of mashed berries put on the problem area for 20 minutes. After the end of the cosmetic procedure, the mask is washed off and the skin is treated with a moisturizing cream.
- To prepare a nourishing mask, the grated fruits of bird cherries are combined with curd in a 1: 1 ratio. 6 drops of provitamin A purchased from a pharmacy are added to the mixture. The composition is well mixed and applied to the skin of the neck and face. Mask hold about 25 minutes.
- Sweet cherry helps to get rid of oily shine on the skin of the face. When preparing a drying mask, 7 fruits of this plant are ground in a mortar with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. The resulting mixture is impregnated with clean gauze and applied to problem areas of the skin for 25 minutes. After the procedure, the face is washed with a mixture of warm water and cherry juice.
- Grated sweet gruel is used to whiten the skin and remove non-aesthetic pigment spots.
- Sweet cherry mask is an effective remedy for dandruff. Ripe berries of bird cherry (20 pieces) are ground into mashed potatoes, combined with 2 tbsp. spoons of starch and juice of half a lemon. The mass is mixed and applied to the scalp. After 35-40 minutes, the mask is washed off with shampoo.
Contraindications and harm to sweet cherries
- Avian cherry fruits can trigger allergies. Nutritionists do not recommend including them in the diet of children under 1 year of age and people prone to the development of allergic reactions.
- Sweet cherry is contraindicated for persons who have had adhesions in the intestine.
- Abuse of cherries can provoke a sharp jump in blood sugar levels. Therefore, people with diabetes should be careful when including the berries of this plant in the diet.
- With moderate consumption, bird cherry helps to lose weight. At the same time, the abuse of the fruits of this plant may contribute to gaining excess weight.
- Consuming more than 300 g of bird cherry fruit at a time can cause bloating and diarrhea.