One of the most popular oriental dishes in our country is shawarma. Many refer to pork wrapped in meat and vegetable products with a sauce with disdain or watchfulness. The fault is not too bona fide merchants, who often make this snack from low-quality products. However, in fact, shawarma is a tasty and even healthy dish, if, of course, it is cooked correctly. Homemade shawarma with sausage is more tender and less caloric than the traditional one. At the same time, it is a tasty and satisfying dish that can quickly satisfy your hunger. After all, it can be cooked very quickly, especially if you use already prepared pita bread for this.
Even a child can cook shawarma with sausage. It would seem that it could be simpler: cut the meat product and vegetables, add ketchup and wrap it all up in pita bread. However, even simple at first glance culinary experiments are not always crowned with success, if you do not know a few subtleties.
- Prejudice against shawarma arose from the fact that some “cooks” put into it products of low quality. Do not repeat their mistakes: using high-quality sausage, you can be sure that the filling will be tasty. The same applies to other products that you put in shawarma, including sauces.
- Sauce is an important component of shawarma recipe with sausage. Original shawarma sauces are prepared according to very complex recipes, but it is permissible to replace them with available sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, adding nutmeg, sesame, anise to them in taste. Especially popular is garlic sauce based on mayonnaise.
- Tasteful shawarma will turn out if you use two sauces: white smear a sheet, pour red filling.
- You can wrap the stuffing in pita bread in different ways, as long as it does not fall out of it. Most often, the filling is laid out with a rectangle at a distance of 10 cm from the edge, then the filling is covered with a free edge, the bottom edge is rolled up, then the pita is rolled into a roll. In this case, from one side the pita will dry out, and from the other side it will remain soft and tender, like a pancake, as it will be soaked with sauce.
- Fry shawarma first, from the side where the seam is, then from the opposite side, while pressing down the “bags” with the lid of the pan. The pan itself should be dry, that is, it should not be oil.
- All the products in the filling should be ready to eat, because during roasting it can only be heated.
- Boiled vegetables are not used for shawarma.
Shawarma can be cooked in purchased Armenian pita bread or in a thin flat cake made from homemade dough. Do not be afraid of the second option: the shawarma dough is made quickly and easily.
Dough recipe for shawarma
- hot water - 0, 3 l;
- vegetable oil - 50 ml;
- salt - 10 g;
- wheat flour - 0, 4-0, 45 kg.
- Sift the flour, first take 2 cups, push it to the side, making a recess in the center.
- Mix boiling water with salt and oil.
- Pour water with salt and oil into the flour in a thin stream, stirring it constantly, even with a mixer.
- If necessary, add more sifted flour, knead the stiff dough with your hands.
- Cover the dough with a film and leave at room temperature for half an hour.
- Knead the dough again, divide into 8 parts and roll each into a 1-1, 5 mm thick layer. To prevent the dough from sticking to the table and rolling pin, sprinkle it with flour.
It is necessary to bake the dough in an oven heated to 200 degrees in just 2-3 minutes, until it starts to bubble and starts to brown. In advance, the layers should not be rolled out. While the next layer is being baked, the previous one should be moistened with a stream of water and covered with a damp napkin, otherwise the basis for shawarma will be too dry and brittle. Dough can be fried in a pan. In this case, it is fried for about 15 seconds on each side, covered with a damp cloth. It is not necessary to moisten the layer with water, because when cooking in a pan, the dough does not dry as much as when baking in the oven.
Home-made shawarma with sausage and “Korean” carrots
- dough for shawarma - 0, 6-0, 7 kg;
- cooked sausage - 0, 4 kg;
- fresh cucumbers - 0, 2 kg;
- fresh tomatoes - 0, 2 kg;
- Korean carrot - 0, 2 kg;
- Chinese cabbage - 0, 2 kg;
- cheese - 150 g;
- fresh greens - 50 g;
- vegetable oil - how much will leave;
- mayonnaise and ketchup - to taste.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Put parchment on the pan. Heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Roll one piece of dough into a rectangular layer, put on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the oven, moisten with water, put a damp napkin on it.
- Roll out the second layer and deal with it the same way as with the first one. In the same way make another 6 layers.
- Cut the edges with a knife or kitchen scissors so that they are even.
- Cut the sausage into strips and fry in a little oil. Let it drain by putting the sausage on a paper napkin.
- Chop cucumbers into thin strips, chop cabbage, cut tomatoes into circles.
- Chop the greens and mix it with Chinese cabbage.
- Coarsely grate the cheese.
- Spread a sheet of pita on the table. If space allows, it is better to spread out all the sheets in order to distribute the filling equally. If this is not possible, you will have to act by eye.
- Stepping back 10 cm from the left edge, pour a little pita bread with mayonnaise. Put the sausage.
- Place tomatoes on top, cucumbers on them, then Peking cabbage.
- In the next layer, put the Korean carrot and sprinkle with cheese.
- Sprinkle with ketchup.
- Cover the filling with the left edge, then fold in its lower and upper edges. Roll the dough from left to right to make a roll.
- Heat the grill pan, put the shawarma on it with a “seam” down, lightly press down with a lid and heat until the bottom layer is browned. Turn and repeat the procedure.
Serve homemade shawarma with sausage and “Korean” carrots immediately, as the cooled shawarma is not very tasty.
Shawarma with sausage and crab sticks in pita
- Armenian lavash - 2 pcs .;
- boiled sausage - 0, 2 kg;
- crab sticks - 8 pcs .;
- fresh cucumbers - 0, 2 kg;
- processed cheese - 160-180 g;
- mayonnaise - 100 ml;
- ketchup - 100-150 ml.
- Rub the melted cheese. To make the chips smooth and hard, the cheeses can be pre-frozen.
- Cut the crab sticks into circles or thin strips.
- Crumble cucumbers into thin strips.
- Cut the sausage into long, thin slices.
- Lubricate the center of each pita sheet with mayonnaise. Put in layers first sausage, then cucumbers, then crab sticks and finally grated cheese.
- Pour with ketchup.
- Roll the pits in envelopes. Fry in a hot, frying pan without oil on both sides until golden brown.
Shawarma cooked according to this recipe turns out to be very delicate, has a unique taste.
Homemade shawarma with sausage is a tasty and healthy dish that you can quickly feed your family and guests. It is suitable for a snack, when there is no time to prepare a full meal.